U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:59 AM

3,432 posts, read 3,619,143 times

Advertisements

try an rx drug called pariet for gerd oh and no more coke for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 PM

731 posts, read 1,417,420 times
I see you are getting a lot of advice. There is something to the acid reflux and vinegar, I'm thinking that vinegar is a base and serves to make your digestive juices less acid. That makes sense to me. I don't know what test your dr. did, but for what its worth. I started having "heartburn" for the first time in my life at 50, also, corresponding to the heartburn, I was found to have hypothyroidism. A low thyroid can case a myriad of symtoms one wouldn't relate to the thyroid. Forgot to say, I had also gained quite a bit of weight.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 PM

3,627 posts, read 13,150,279 times
Vinegar is very acidic - but the claim is it makes the system alkaline. I cant figure as colas are also acide........

Old 08-18-2010, 08:27 PM

6,697 posts, read 7,091,195 times
Vinegar is acidic, though the combination of acid, sugar, and carbonation in soda probably has a much stronger negative effect on stomachs.

I used to have reflux, even to waking up with a mouthful of stomach acid in the middle of the night. Yuck!! But when I switched my diet to low-carb, it was gone in a day. I can eat all the fat I want without any stomach troubles. On my carb blowout day, I ate pasta, and boy, was I sorry! Acid indigestion and I had to take a Zantac.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:38 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,697,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
Im trying to lose alot of weight. I didnt know heartburn could cause cancer... will I always have Acid Reflux? I heard Apple cider Vinegar works but havent really tried it. Im a little scared for my health.
ive never used apple cider vinegar however i have used basalmic vinegar, im assuming its pretty much the same, just a tablespoon will do, and for the basalmic vinegar, i do half a tablespoon of that, and then fill the rest of the spoon with honey to mask the taste and burn of the vinegar going down... and believe me... it burns if you take it straight for about 10 seconds, good luck tho, i know all about heartburn and the pain and the staying up all night repeatedly having to sit straight up in bed cuz of the burn

Old 08-19-2010, 07:11 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,150,279 times
James - you are getting advice all over the place

#1-The most significant thing you can do is change your lifestyle. No excuses. You can do it but it is going to take work. I made excuses for 20 years before I realized that the only one I was fooling was myself. READ READ READ. I bought a bed wedge and sleep on my left side now and diet coke is a rare treat.

#2-Know what causes the problems. Keep a journal. Different foods seem to bother different folks. For me, protein aggreavates it, not carbs. I also *may* have a hiatal hernia which would explain why it is so terrible after I do ab excercises (even on an empty stomach). The doctor wants me to do a barium x-ray but hiatal hernias are a very common cause. (You don't see them as they are in the diaphgram, not the outer wall)

#3-IF you cant resolve it, really talk with the doctor about more testing and the drug regimen. It is very important to no have the corrosive action on the lower esophagous.

#4 Consider maybe this is a blessing in disguise if it drives you to loose the weight (I recall you were asking for help on that awhile ago)

#5 Don't try various remedies until you have really researched them thoroughly. It may be counterproductive to take the meds AND do a folk remedy at the same time.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 AM

8,669 posts, read 20,658,326 times
Default See a gastroenterologist

You have been given some good advice concerning lifestyle changes and such you can do yourself. I would, however, add that if you are not getting relief within a certain amount of time, I would also advise seeing a gastroenterologist if you are not doing so already. They are specialized to treat conditions like GERD and because of their training and experience will sometimes have more insight on the issue than your regular physician. You may need a change in medication to get you straightened out. I do agree that lifestyle changes are probably the best thing to do, but you may need to also take meds for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness