U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:07 AM

380 posts, read 1,109,709 times

Advertisements

Since August 9th I have been dealing with discomfort in my chest.. when I drink cokes it burns when it goes down. and I can feel it go down. when I eat I get full quickly and the discomfort is around my stomach right below my chest.

I went to the doctor he thinks it maight be acid reflux and I got zantac which dosent work. I went yesterday again to another DR. and he gave me a blood test which will be due back thursday. he prescribed me Nexium and still dosent feel any better. they ran heart test and it came back normal. Im 24 years old. I know anything can happen to anyone. but im praying about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:12 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,149,077 times
If you have reflux you have to really very carefully watch what you eat and drink.

Carbonated beverages have to go I am afraid. Did hte doctor give you a list of things to do and not eat?

Nexium is a powerful drug with alot of long term negative side effects. If you can manage the reflux NOW by making lifestyle changes you will be better of than taking it. Nexium is also VERY expensive.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:18 AM

what do you mean negative long term side effects? Just quit eating fatty food and cut out cokes. can you tell me the side effects that are permanent?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:27 AM

Do PPIs have long-term side effects?

The biggest concerns right now are bone loss and that has been ongoing but
Rebound Reflux is major - these drugs are designed so that when you do try to go off of them it feelis ten times worse than anything you EVER experienced before you went on them.

It just seems it is better to give lifestyle changes a chance before resorting to these drugs. It is probably the lesser of evils tha to have corrosive issues and the cancer that long term heartburn can cause.....

Are you cutting

Coffee
Fatty foods
Sodas
Acid foods like tomatoes, peppers, etc
spicy foods

Loosing weight?
Drinking lots of water?
Elevating the head of the bed by 6 inches ( or at least using a wedge)

Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 AM

Im trying to lose alot of weight. I didnt know heartburn could cause cancer... will I always have Acid Reflux? I heard Apple cider Vinegar works but havent really tried it. Im a little scared for my health.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:40 AM

The problem with long term heartburn (over years) is it injures the lining of hte esophagous and can set you up for cancer so it is serious stuff. At your age is a great time to tackle it, particularly since you also have a weight issue.

ACV is a folk cure that does not have a lot of science behind it -some swear by it - I think you best bet is changing up lifestyle and there a lot of sound web based approaches for that. Your doctor should give you papers on things to do.

This is a free guide that has lots of helpful advice

Heartburn-GERD: Treatment & Care

But get diagnosed for sure first and stay away from anything that causes you pain. It can be very scary. But a lot of people have it and it can be managed.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:41 PM

8,685 posts, read 14,804,699 times
You said the Coke causes the symptoms? Stop the Coke and see what happens....keep a food/drink diary....

Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,071,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
Im trying to lose alot of weight. I didnt know heartburn could cause cancer... will I always have Acid Reflux? I heard Apple cider Vinegar works but havent really tried it. Im a little scared for my health.
Weight loss was the first recommendation my doctor gave me when I complained of reflux. He virtually guaranteed it would go away if I lost about 20 pounds.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:04 AM

43,012 posts, read 95,092,159 times
Carbonated drinks aggrevate acid reflux. Stop drinking the coke and don't drink any other types of sodas.

I once had similar discomfort. I had struggled with abdominal pain for a few months, but it got unbearable when the pain moved to the upper region like the OP describes.
'
It was so bad I went to the emergency room. They gave me a GI Cocktail. GI cocktail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I left that hospital feeling so good (in more ways than one!) The GI cocktail fixed it instantly and the symptoms never returned.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:33 AM

8,091 posts, read 6,371,512 times
I was diagnosed with a haital hernia 30 years ago. I controlled it with diet and antacids for years. The antacids bound me up. I am now on Nexium and drink a couple of ounces of concentrated aloe juice each day. The kind the drugstore sells is too weak, you need someone local to provide "Ultimate Aloe" from Market America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness