U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2010, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Syracuse IS Central New York.
8,517 posts, read 4,059,093 times
Reputation: 4036

Advertisements

25 mg of HCTZ isn't all that much. HCTZ is a relatively low level BP med, usually one of the first prescribed. Actually it wasn't as powerful for me alone as the Benicar.

Be sure to drink plenty of water, eat a banana regularly for the potassium, and try to de-stress. Take a walk, listen to favorite music, and stop thinking about your BP. The more you think about it, the higher it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2010, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village, Colorado
2,185 posts, read 4,272,530 times
Reputation: 1536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
25 mg of HCTZ isn't all that much. HCTZ is a relatively low level BP med, usually one of the first prescribed. Actually it wasn't as powerful for me alone as the Benicar.

Be sure to drink plenty of water, eat a banana regularly for the potassium, and try to de-stress. Take a walk, listen to favorite music, and stop thinking about your BP. The more you think about it, the higher it goes.

did you get any side effects with the benicar? My heart rate doubled on the stuff, it also made me out of breath. I couldn't walk across the room without my pulse racing and huffing and puffing. I was so dizzy I had to sit down a few times, even tilting my head made the room spin.

25mg seemed like A lot to me, since my combo pill was 12.5 so thats double the dosage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
25,320 posts, read 30,140,673 times
Reputation: 31528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
did you get any side effects with the benicar? My heart rate doubled on the stuff, it also made me out of breath. I couldn't walk across the room without my pulse racing and huffing and puffing. I was so dizzy I had to sit down a few times, even tilting my head made the room spin.

25mg seemed like A lot to me, since my combo pill was 12.5 so thats double the dosage.
Cupcake ~

You now have multiple threads started about your blood pressure. I am afraid that those of us here on CD who have tried to help you may be facilitating your problem. Until you face the fact that a large part of the problem with your blood pressure is your anxiety about it, you are never going to be happy with what any doctor tells you. In multiple threads, we have many times suggested stress management. When we tell you that, you start another thread. You need to see someone about the anxiety and OCD. I would suggest also asking about something other than Xanax for the anxiety. It has more abuse potential than some other medications.

You mentioned before that you have some OCD symptoms which you do not consider to be a problem. Well, the obsession with your blood pressure is a problem. If I were your doctor, at this point I would forbid you to take your blood pressure. I would only let a family member do it once a week, after you have been sitting quietly for at least 15 minutes, if not longer.

From another thread, your 24 hour BP monitoring apparently did not show a severe blood pressure problem. The symptoms you were having with the Benicar suggest that your pressure was too low and perhaps you do not even need to be on any medication. The dose of HCTZ that you are on now is the standard starting dose for someone not on another blood pressure lowering drug. A "high" dose of HCTZ would be 100 mg per day. It is common when combining drugs to lower the dose of the HCTZ.

As far as side effects are concerned, as others have noted, the most common is a low blood potassium level. That is easy to diagnose and treat. If you read the list of potential serious side effects, it is scary, I'll admit. That is because the drug manufacturer lists every side effect or complication ever reported with the drug so no one can allege they would not have taken it if they knew one of those things could happen. HCTZ is an old drug with a lot of history to suggest it is very safe. Your doctor chose it for that reason.

You keep worrying that until you get on the perfect medication, your blood pressure will "spike". We keep telling you that "spikes" are normal. Nothing will make them go away. They help keep you alive --- like when someone cuts you off in traffic and you have to slam on the brakes and you feel tingly all over. That tingly feeling is due to a jolt of adrenaline, and it helped you see that you needed to apply the brakes. It also caused a temporary increase in blood pressure. The blood pressure that causes damage to blood vessels in the brain, heart, and kidneys is a sustained elevation of the average blood pressure, not a "spike".

Please listen to the other posters here. And when you see the cardiologist, you will do yourself a favor if you discuss the anxiety and OCD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village, Colorado
2,185 posts, read 4,272,530 times
Reputation: 1536
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Cupcake ~

You now have multiple threads started about your blood pressure. I am afraid that those of us here on CD who have tried to help you may be facilitating your problem. Until you face the fact that a large part of the problem with your blood pressure is your anxiety about it, you are never going to be happy with what any doctor tells you. In multiple threads, we have many times suggested stress management. When we tell you that, you start another thread. You need to see someone about the anxiety and OCD. I would suggest also asking about something other than Xanax for the anxiety. It has more abuse potential than some other medications.

You mentioned before that you have some OCD symptoms which you do not consider to be a problem. Well, the obsession with your blood pressure is a problem. If I were your doctor, at this point I would forbid you to take your blood pressure. I would only let a family member do it once a week, after you have been sitting quietly for at least 15 minutes, if not longer.

From another thread, your 24 hour BP monitoring apparently did not show a severe blood pressure problem. The symptoms you were having with the Benicar suggest that your pressure was too low and perhaps you do not even need to be on any medication. The dose of HCTZ that you are on now is the standard starting dose for someone not on another blood pressure lowering drug. A "high" dose of HCTZ would be 100 mg per day. It is common when combining drugs to lower the dose of the HCTZ.

As far as side effects are concerned, as others have noted, the most common is a low blood potassium level. That is easy to diagnose and treat. If you read the list of potential serious side effects, it is scary, I'll admit. That is because the drug manufacturer lists every side effect or complication ever reported with the drug so no one can allege they would not have taken it if they knew one of those things could happen. HCTZ is an old drug with a lot of history to suggest it is very safe. Your doctor chose it for that reason.

You keep worrying that until you get on the perfect medication, your blood pressure will "spike". We keep telling you that "spikes" are normal. Nothing will make them go away. They help keep you alive --- like when someone cuts you off in traffic and you have to slam on the brakes and you feel tingly all over. That tingly feeling is due to a jolt of adrenaline, and it helped you see that you needed to apply the brakes. It also caused a temporary increase in blood pressure. The blood pressure that causes damage to blood vessels in the brain, heart, and kidneys is a sustained elevation of the average blood pressure, not a "spike".

Please listen to the other posters here. And when you see the cardiologist, you will do yourself a favor if you discuss the anxiety and OCD.
My doctor tested for potassium therefore these side effects are not caused from potassium. My pressure is just fine and I am off medication. It's not OCD. They want to stick a tube up through my leg to my heart. I feel like crap. I can't move without being out of breath and my pulse going up to 110 after a burst of severe nausea. I am trying to live a normal life and do stuff with my kids, but this past couple months I have been really sick.

Who wouldn't have anxiety and yes I do worry about my pressure spiking because of my history recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
25,320 posts, read 30,140,673 times
Reputation: 31528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
My doctor tested for potassium therefore these side effects are not caused from potassium. My pressure is just fine and I am off medication. It's not OCD. They want to stick a tube up through my leg to my heart. I feel like crap. I can't move without being out of breath and my pulse going up to 110 after a burst of severe nausea. I am trying to live a normal life and do stuff with my kids, but this past couple months I have been really sick.

Who wouldn't have anxiety and yes I do worry about my pressure spiking because of my history recently.

I did not say that your symptoms were due to potassium. You said you were concerned about side effects from the HCTZ. Low potassium is the most common one.

If you are off all medication, including HCTZ, and your pressure is "just fine", perhaps your symptoms have nothing to do with either the medication or your blood pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Greenwood Village, Colorado
2,185 posts, read 4,272,530 times
Reputation: 1536
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I did not say that your symptoms were due to potassium. You said you were concerned about side effects from the HCTZ. Low potassium is the most common one.

If you are off all medication, including HCTZ, and your pressure is "just fine", perhaps your symptoms have nothing to do with either the medication or your blood pressure.

I am not a doctor, so maybe not. But I am referred to a cardologist. I just got off the phone with the nurse, I have to see him and they want to do an angio. My BP is so/so now but it does spike. I don't think my doctor sent me to the cardio because of my blood pressure. I just asked about the water pill dosage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 03:48 PM
 
3,627 posts, read 13,149,077 times
Reputation: 2717
Just out of curiousity - have they checked you for acid reflux? Acid reflux may or may not result in heartburn (mine did not!) but can siumlate the vagal nerve and impact pulse, BP, nausea etc. Stress and anxiety can sure bring it on.

I had all kinds of symptoms the month my father had lung cancer surgery and my mom had a massive stroke and I was the one left dealing with it all and moving them in with me and selling their house and our house and buying a bigger house we could all live in. Before THAT episode, I could eat spicy foods with the best of them. But chest pains, panic attacks at night, out of breath, etc. (since that time 3 years ago, dad has passed away and Mom is living with us and I am still on reflux meds)

I had a cardiac cath done last year (after a stress test indicated a problem and the problem wound up being "big boobs interfere with the stress test") and the final conclusion wound up being follow up some more on the reflux.

The comment about the potassium was that the diuretic causes you to loose potassium in your urine so you may need to supplement. We typically consume way too much sodium and way too little potassium in our diet so it is possible to get out of balance on a diuretic.

Just relax. The odds are everything is probably ok and if it is not, you will deal with it. You can't change what is, only how you manage it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Casa Grande, AZ
8,685 posts, read 14,804,699 times
Reputation: 10314
I have read previous posts, you are not overweight, did you cut out the sodas? which will dehydrate you....drink water instead....Do you exercise for at least 30 minutes daily, have you checked what you eat, sodium, etc... thyroid tests for lack of energy, heat and cold intolerance, etc....? You had spikes when pregnant, now with maybe the OCD...Do the cardiologist if suggested, but if they do not find anything in the way...change your lifestyle...cognitive behavior therapy...You are in control whether you believe it or not for your kids....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2010, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Mostly in my head
19,865 posts, read 57,975,738 times
Reputation: 19187
I was finally diagnosed with toxic hyperactive thyroid after having months of shortness of breath and racing heartbeat after the least little exertion. I had a stress test, which showed my heart was just fine, lung funciton tests that showed good lungs, and an ultrasound of my arteries first but they were normal as well. I wish it had not taken so long to get to the thyroid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Greenwood Village, Colorado
2,185 posts, read 4,272,530 times
Reputation: 1536
I don't have reflux,they did an egd a few months back when this stated because I had chest pain. I looked up hyperthyroid and I have all 30 symptoms except 2. I don't have low blood pressure and I haven'tbeen losing massive amounts of weight and eating tons of food. I did have hypethyroid with my last pregnancy and I did lose a lot of weight my first month but my thyroid returned to normal in the 2nd trimester. But I am sure they would have found it with all the blood tests they have done on me.

Today just picking up a few toys, I got out of breath and my chest felt so heavy. It's awful and I am not on any medication at all right now. I haven't felt good since my last baby which was 2 yeas ago. I see the cadio tommorow, hopefully he will have some idea what's going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:18 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top