Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

I am wondering about osteopaths as a primary care physician (instead of an "internal medicine" physician).

Does anyone use one and if so what are the benefits?

Can an osteopath be your primary physician if you have to be hospitalized?

Do osteopaths tend more toward wholistic healing (without too many drugs)?

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience and knowledge.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 03:24 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I am wondering about osteopaths as a primary care physician (instead of an "internal medicine" physician).

Does anyone use one and if so what are the benefits?

Can an osteopath be your primary physician if you have to be hospitalized?

Do osteopaths tend more toward wholistic healing (without too many drugs)?

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience and knowledge.

Thanks.
I've been seeing an osteopath since I was 2. I haven't been completely loyal over the last 34 years, thinking that an MD might be more knowledgable, etc. I quickly came running back to my D.O. after arrogant, compartmentalized treatment from an M.D. My doctor is thorough, treats holistically, knows me as a person and not just a chart, and willing to think outside the box. I dread the day he retires.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
I've been seeing an osteopath since I was 2. I haven't been completely loyal over the last 34 years, thinking that an MD might be more knowledgable, etc. I quickly came running back to my D.O. after arrogant, compartmentalized treatment from an M.D. My doctor is thorough, treats holistically, knows me as a person and not just a chart, and willing to think outside the box. I dread the day he retires.
Thanks for your reply. If I may ask, what kind of holistic treatments does he do? Body manipulation, cranial manipulation? Massage? Herbal treatment?

If you are wary of drugs, does he help you around that?

Thanks again!

Old 12-20-2010, 03:30 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Thanks for your reply. If I may ask, what kind of holistic treatments does he do? Body manipulation, cranial manipulation? Massage? Herbal treatment?

If you are wary of drugs, does he help you around that?

Thanks again!

He is trained in spinal manipulation, but I've never had him do this for me. He is also willing to refer me to a local pharmacologist who compounds her own products anytime he feels like something is beyond his expertise. As far as avoiding drugs- I wouldn't know. I'm currently on 10 different meds for Fibromyalgia, GAD, Allergies, Blepharitis, and Asthma. Yikes!

Old 12-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
He is trained in spinal manipulation, but I've never had him do this for me. He is also willing to refer me to a local pharmacologist who compounds her own products anytime he feels like something is beyond his expertise. As far as avoiding drugs- I wouldn't know. I'm currently on 10 different meds for Fibromyalgia, GAD, Allergies, Blepharitis, and Asthma. Yikes!
Thanks again!

I'm trying to understand how an osteopath would benefit me, as someone who is totally not into drugs, maintains a wholistic diet. I'm 62 and really hate going to regular physicians, they don't seem to understand my preference to avoid prescription drugs (they don't have any treatments other than that). If your DO does not do spinal manipulation on you, how does he help you more than a regular doctor could?

Old 12-20-2010, 03:43 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,163 times
I saw a DO when I was a teen. The big thing I saw her for was horrible, horrible, cystic acne. She did not treat me any different than an MD would have and prescribed the usual topical meds and then eventually oral meds to help me out. Never once did she discuss diet, lifestyle changes, etc. I can't really say how I found her different than an MD would be. She did not do any type of skeletal manipulation.

You may be looking more for a Naturopathic Doctor (or ND or NMD). My primary physician now is an ND. She works in a naturopathic clinic and they do everything from massage, to IV therapies, to NEAT allergy testing. But they also do physicals and well checks for men and women. She works directly with a chiropractor who is also an ND. They have a full selection of homeopathic medicines, but she can also prescribe regular medicines if needed. For me, she is a great resource of info on diet, since I'm expecting twins early next year. I highly recommend going the naturopath route.

Even though my doc is also a midwife, I see a regular MD for my obstetric services and my ND is very open to communicating to my MD whenever necessary. I feel that keeping communication lines open between the naturopathic and the non is very important. Hope that makes sense.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:45 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,163 times
Another thing with my ND that I love is that my appointments with her are 30-45 minutes each and every time. No exceptions. I never feel like she is rushing me or doesn't take an interest in what I'm there to discuss with her.

http://www.naturopathic.org/

Use the "Find a Doctor" link here to see if there are docs in your area.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:28 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,853 times
For general well-being issues, diet, and dealing with minor musculoskeletal ailments I would take an osteopath over an MD anyday. For most other things I would probably go to an MD.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:15 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
My husband sees a DO, and honestly he does NOTHING different from any MD. If you want wholistic treatment, you need to see someone in alternative medicine. He has my hubby on plenty of meds for high blood pressure and cholesterol.

Good luck.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:41 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
Osteopathic education has changed over the years; many osteopaths are now indistinguishable from MDs. You can find osteopaths that have a holistic approach and use spinal & cranial manipulation, but you can't assume that all osteopaths are like that.

Naturopathic practitioners are not licensed in every state. The OP indicates that she's in New England. I know that NDs are accepted in Connecticut; not sure about the other NE states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness