U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 04:34 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,619,143 times

Advertisements

I am 35 years old and I wear glasses due to astigmatism. I need them to see far and to drive. I have been wearing them since I was a teen.
I can't see things that other people can see that are relatively far away from me.
I have noticed that I can read things/see things that other people cannot. For example you know the engraving on fine jewellery that states the karat I can read that. Ii can read microprint as well. For example the security features on cheques that aren't supposed to be visible to the naked eye et, secuirty features on prescriptions, money etc?
I mentioned this to my eye Dr. and all she said was that it means I will not ever need reading glasses.
My friends and family are quite shocked by my ability to read things in the smallest tinest fonts.
So is this normal. Can anyone else do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:38 PM

42,662 posts, read 76,448,315 times
Astigmatism has nothing to do with visual acuity. It means your two eyes do not present a coordinated view when working together, but both eyes can still be perfect individually.

I'm assuming you have to hold fine print very close to read it, and that means you are capable of focusing very close. But the trade off is that you have trouble focusing on infinity, which is called near-sighted. ("Myopia")

Old 08-18-2010, 08:56 AM

18,766 posts, read 56,599,851 times
Yep. Myopia. You probably have another twenty years of being able to do that before it becomes difficult. I used to be able to focus on objects about 4" from my face. Now it is probably around 7".

Old 08-18-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Yep. Myopia. You probably have another twenty years of being able to do that before it becomes difficult. I used to be able to focus on objects about 4" from my face. Now it is probably around 7".
Well don't most people need reading glasses around 40? My optometrist says I will never need them. What I was really wondering is it is normal to be able to read microprint which is not supposed to be readable to the naked eye?

Old 08-19-2010, 07:24 AM

2,778 posts, read 7,261,507 times
Don't count on it! I, too. have nearsightedness(myopia) and astigmatism since third grade(I am now 52). I always had great close vision....frequently I was asked to identify some extremely tiny detail. Now I detect that close acuity is less and I must hold objects at a 6"-10" distance to focus clearly and not as well as in the past.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 AM

18,766 posts, read 56,599,851 times
Microprint like under the signature line of a check? Yeah, I used to be able to read that. Now it takes a bright light and magnifying glass for me to make it out. And I hate to break it to you, but you may need bifocals at some point. The eyeball gets hard, the muscles weaker, and if you can see that close up you may end up needing a correction to midrange as well as distance. The warranty on the body runs out pretty quickly.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:40 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,888,439 times
Your optometrist was either lying, or you misinterpreted him. I'm guessing it's the latter. He has no way of predicting whether or not you're need reading glasses in the future. He can predict the likelihood of that need, but he can't predict the need.

I had "better than 20/20" vision all my life, and was diagnosed with astigmatism when I was a little girl because any time I'd try to focus on something, it'd look like it was moving. Like reading music, or noticing a spot on the ceiling when I was laying in bed. Each eye had perfect vision, but they weren't coordinated to work together so the overall focus was off just a tiny bit.

That corrected itself eventually. My vision remained better than 20/20 all my life. I'm 49 now, and started wearing reading glasses last year. I got a pair at the pharmacy near the eye-drops aisle, 1x, and that's what I use for reading. My vision is still 20/20.

I can read highway signs several blocks away. I can also still read normal print in books, however I have to hold the book farther from my face than I used to. If I try to hold it close, I feel immediate eye strain and can't focus.

Your eyes will weaken somewhat as you age. Eventually, you'll benefit from reading glasses. You might spend the rest of your life with 20/20 vision, and still need reading glasses. It's more a matter of preventing eye strain, than it is correcting a vision problem.

Old 08-19-2010, 02:06 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,304,983 times
I used to be able to ready truly tiny print (as in printed on a pin) and I am now totally blind. Until I had a stroke I was able to read and write at a microscopic level but then I became legally blind and then totally blind.

Could my Optometrist/Opthamologist predict my strokes and inevitably my blindness? Of course not! They may say that there is the likelihood that you may never need reading glasses but unless they are Supernaturally gifted it is impossible to make such blanket statements like "You will NEVER need reading glasses".

The human body is far too mysterious to EVER make blanket statements; after all who could have foretold that Christopher Reeves would go from Superman to Quadriplegic in one moment?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM

Whoa frankly all the replies to my thread are rather depressing.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:54 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,888,439 times
Honestly though lisalen, unless you have some kind of serious issue with your own vanity, don't worry about whether or not you will some day need reading glasses. Chances are, some day, you will. And when you do, you'll discover it is not only not a big deal, but it's actually a blessing to discover that you're not squinting anymore when you read. For now, enjoy your astigmatism and your otherwise perfect eyesight. Remember I didn't -start- needing reading glasses til I turned 48.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness