U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 01:49 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,266,057 times

Advertisements

I am having a myomectomy to remove some fibroids and having a plastic surgeon finish up and doing a tummy tuck. I had 3 cesctions and there is no way my stomach will be the same vs without having surgery.

I am pretty much getting most the tummy tuck paid for because the doctor and plasrtic surgoen use the same room and anthesiologist. Also my hosp stay is paid for and longer vs if I just went in for a tuck. This is the best way to go if you are thinking about having this done.

Oh for people bragging about how they look great after all these csections. with no pix to back up the claims means very little. However my sister in law had 3 kids but vaginaly not with a cection and she looks really good. Just some loose skin is about it and she is 40ish now.

I think csections are a bit more difficult to recover from because they sometimes cut the muscles, other times they just push it aside. It all depends on the surgeon I think. My first 2 csections I looked great except for a scar, it was the 3rd one that left me for worse. But I had my babies each 18 months apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 02:00 PM

25,157 posts, read 30,047,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
I am having a myomectomy to remove some fibroids and having a plastic surgeon finish up and doing a tummy tuck. I had 3 cesctions and there is no way my stomach will be the same vs without having surgery.

I am pretty much getting most the tummy tuck paid for because the doctor and plasrtic surgoen use the same room and anthesiologist. Also my hosp stay is paid for and longer vs if I just went in for a tuck. This is the best way to go if you are thinking about having this done.

Oh for people bragging about how they look great after all these csections. with no pix to back up the claims means very little. However my sister in law had 3 kids but vaginaly not with a cection and she looks really good. Just some loose skin is about it and she is 40ish now.

I think csections are a bit more difficult to recover from because they sometimes cut the muscles, other times they just push it aside. It all depends on the surgeon I think. My first 2 csections I looked great except for a scar, it was the 3rd one that left me for worse. But I had my babies each 18 months apart.
It would be extremely unusual for an obstetrician to cut the muscles during a Cesarean. Unfortunately, each Cesarean adds to the scarring from the previous one.

It sounds as if your fibroid surgery is going to be major if they are opening the abdomen to do it. Do you plan more children? Three sections plus myomectomy equals a lot of uterine scarring.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It would be extremely unusual for an obstetrician to cut the muscles during a Cesarean. Unfortunately, each Cesarean adds to the scarring from the previous one.

It sounds as if your fibroid surgery is going to be major if they are opening the abdomen to do it. Do you plan more children? Three sections plus myomectomy equals a lot of uterine scarring.

I have to go back nov 9th to discuss options. Myomectomy was one option, she did mention hysterectomy as well. She stated that somtimes even with a myomectomy complications can happen and then they have to do a hysterecomy anyway. I am done having kids, I already had my tubes tied but I have heard so many bad things about a hysterectomy it scares me.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I have to go back nov 9th to discuss options. Myomectomy was one option, she did mention hysterectomy as well. She stated that somtimes even with a myomectomy complications can happen and then they have to do a hysterecomy anyway. I am done having kids, I already had my tubes tied but I have heard so many bad things about a hysterectomy it scares me.
What specifically scares you? With the addition of the tummy tuck, the anesthesia risks and risks that apply to surgery in general are going to be about the same --- things like infection, bleeding, blood clots --- and those risks are low in young, healthy women. There are things that can be done to reduce the risk, like giving an antibiotic right before the surgery starts to reduce infection and using pulsatile stockings on the legs to reduce the risk of clots. The risk of bleeding may actually be higher with myomectomy than with hysterectomy.

Since you are premenopausal, the usual recommendation is to leave the ovaries unless there is an abnormality that justifies removing one or both of them. If the ovaries are not removed, you do not have the instant "surgical" menopause and do not have to consider hormone replacement.

Another issue is leaving the uterus leaves you susceptible to growing more fibroids, and you are right back where you started.

If you opt for just myomectomy, you still have to consider contraception and periods. With hysterectomy, you are instantly done with all that.

Of the women I know who have had hysterectomies, the vast majority tell me they just wish they had done it sooner rather than later.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:26 PM

The risk of anesthesia scares me ofcourse. I think what worries me more if I have some kind of weird hypertension and I know that complicates things vs someone who doesn't. After each baby my blood pessure went nuts, how would this be any different? See nobody can answer that.

I think a hysto/tummy tuck is a far more serious surgery vs a csection. so I am a little concerned.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The risk of anesthesia scares me of course. I think what worries me more if I have some kind of weird hypertension and I know that complicates things vs someone who doesn't. After each baby my blood pressure went nuts, how would this be any different? See nobody can answer that.

I think a hysto/tummy tuck is a far more serious surgery vs a c section. so I am a little concerned.
Pregnancy hypertension is a whole different animal, so you do not have to worry about that cause you're not pregnant.

The risks for the two procedures are probably very similar..

The anesthesiologist can manage any blips in your BP during surgery.

Ask about an epidural. I do not think a spinal would last long enough for the dual procedure.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Pregnancy hypertension is a whole different animal, so you do not have to worry about that cause you're not pregnant.

The risks for the two procedures are probably very similar..

The anesthesiologist can manage any blips in your BP during surgery.

Ask about an epidural. I do not think a spinal would last long enough for the dual procedure.

I read they can do a hysto vanginaly, I don't even want to think about that. But they wouldn't have to cut and maybe might be able to do that with an epidural, but I believe with an abdomialplasty they can't because it doesn't last long enough or cover enough area to kill the pain.

I think that have both procedures done is about 5 or 6 hours.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I read they can do a hysto vanginaly, I don't even want to think about that. But they wouldn't have to cut and maybe might be able to do that with an epidural, but I believe with an abdomialplasty they can't because it doesn't last long enough or cover enough area to kill the pain.

I think that have both procedures done is about 5 or 6 hours.
I did not realize the tummy tuck takes 2 1/2 to three hours. The hysterectomy would add about an hour. That would be a long time to be lying there with an epidural (which could work --- continuously --- for that length of time). Unlike with a Cesarean, where mom is usually not given any sedation, to avoid a sleepy baby, with other procedures, you are usually given something that makes you drowsy. Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) Under Epidural Anesthesia ~ Can Tummy Tuck Be Done Without General Anesthesia? (http://www.realself.com/question/tummy-tuck-abdominoplasty-epidural-anesthesia - broken link).

Why don't you ask for a pre-op consult with the anesthesiologist before the day of surgery? Then you could take your time and get all your questions answered and not fell pressured by all the other stuff going on at the time of the actual surgery.

Vaginal hysterectomy is a really neat procedure. No abdominal incision at all!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:04 PM

24 posts, read 51,689 times
I had a bikini, horizontal c-section (emergency) with my son, who is now 14 months. My stomach is NOT flat, but I don't have any overhang. I had a pretty quick recovery, but really am having a hard time tightening it up. Have tried walking, aerobics, exercising, etc... still not tight... ugh. But--- I am always thankful for that scar, it saved my son's life!

Old 10-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyfartsymom View Post
I had a bikini, horizontal c-section (emergency) with my son, who is now 14 months. My stomach is NOT flat, but I don't have any overhang. I had a pretty quick recovery, but really am having a hard time tightening it up. Have tried walking, aerobics, exercising, etc... still not tight... ugh. But--- I am always thankful for that scar, it saved my son's life!

I had 3 vertical incisions, from the navel down. the first 2 weren't bad at all, just a little white line, no over hang or anything. I was wearing swimsuits a month later. The third one left me a little more damaged. I hate it!

They did vertical bcause the first one was an emergency and I have a huge fibroid so they couldnt cut at the bikini line. well with the last 2 I said just go veritcal again because I didn't want a scar that looked like an anchor on my stomach. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness