U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 PM

581 posts, read 757,087 times

Advertisements

I had 3c-sections and I have the sagging skin over my incisions. I was thinking of getting the smart lipo where I don't need general anesthesia, just local anesth. Has anyone ever had this procedure done or know of anyone who has? If so what was the outcome?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 09:17 AM

11,734 posts, read 14,102,183 times
well I have the scar from a ruptured ectopic pregnancy, so no baby and no weight gain or stretching. I am fairly slim, but yes I have noticed that where the muscle was cut, it still looks weird! I was very fit a couple yrs ago from swimming, but even then it was still rather noticable, to me anyway.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 AM

25,201 posts, read 30,070,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
well I have the scar from a ruptured ectopic pregnancy, so no baby and no weight gain or stretching. I am fairly slim, but yes I have noticed that where the muscle was cut, it still looks weird! I was very fit a couple yrs ago from swimming, but even then it was still rather noticable, to me anyway.
Although it is possible the muscle was cut, that is very unlikely to be done to remove an ectopic pregnancy. The two long abdominal strap muscles are usually just separated in the middle of the abdomen and spread apart, not cut.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Although it is possible the muscle was cut, that is very unlikely to be done to remove an ectopic pregnancy. The two long abdominal strap muscles are usually just separated in the middle of the abdomen and spread apart, not cut.
Oh it was cut alright!

Old 11-12-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Oh it was cut alright!
If the incision was a "bikini" incision, it would be extremely unusual to cut the muscle, especially if there had been no previous surgery through a similar incision to create a lot of scar tissue.

The bikini incision is usually done with the Pfannenstiel technique. The skin and fat are cut crosswise. The fascia --- the tough layer surrounding the muscle --- is also opened crosswise. When the muscles are uncovered, they (there are two, not one) are separated in the midline and then the peritoneum --- the shining lining of the abdomen and pelvis is opened in an up and down direction.

See Pfannenstiel's incision - Medical Definition and More from Merriam-Webster

"a long horizontal abdominal incision made below the line of the pubic hair and above the mons veneris down to and through the sheath of the rectus abdominus muscles but not the muscles themselves which are separated in the direction of their fibers—called also bikini incision"

If the incision is up and down between the navel and pelvic bone, the skin, fat, and fascia are also cut in an up and down direction, but the muscles are still separated in the midline, not cut.

There is an incision which cuts the muscle, the Maylard incision, but it is seldom used for uncomplicated gyn surgery.

Unless the surgeon had specific reasons to cut the muscle, it probably wasn't.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:01 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,725,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Thanks for your intelligent reply. So I guess I'm stuck with it and the only theing I can do is get a tummy tuck which I would do if I could be awake during the operation and if I had the extra money to pay for it.
I'm getting a tummy tuck next month. There is a financing option called Care Credit which is for cosmetic surgery.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:22 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,613,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I'm getting a tummy tuck next month. There is a financing option called Care Credit which is for cosmetic surgery.

I'm so jealous I don't think we have care credit in Canada. You must be so excited. You will have a beautiful flat stomach again.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The bikini incision is usually done with the Pfannenstiel technique. The skin and fat are cut crosswise. The fascia --- the tough layer surrounding the muscle --- is also opened crosswise. When the muscles are uncovered, they (there are two, not one) are separated in the midline and then the peritoneum --- the shining lining of the abdomen and pelvis is opened in an up and down direction.

hmmm well maybe that's what happened, I thought they just cut straight through! Thanks for the info!

Maybe it's the layer surrounding the muscle that makes it look weird?!

Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
hmmm well maybe that's what happened, I thought they just cut straight through! Thanks for the info!

Maybe it's the layer surrounding the muscle that makes it look weird?!
The way an incision heals really depends on the individual patient. It is likely that most of the scarring is actually from the way the skin and underlying fatty tissue grew back together.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:13 AM

10,778 posts, read 9,400,973 times
Had a emergency c-section with my just over 10 lb daughter (14 years ago). For a while I really exercised like crazy to tighten my belly to no avail - still have that pouch. When I started looking like a skeleton everywhere else, my husband finally said enough. To add insult to injury, I come from a long line of non-elastic skin people. So, basically, my stomach is a hot mess and no more bikinis for me! In clothes, it's okay but sometime I can see the little pouch in well fitted flat front pants. I hate it!

Last edited by southbel; 12-01-2010 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness