U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2010, 07:00 AM
 
507 posts, read 2,059,827 times
Reputation: 938

Advertisements

Your getting veeeerrryyy sleeeeepy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-22-2010, 09:07 AM
 
Location: In a chartreuse microbus
3,863 posts, read 5,456,872 times
Reputation: 8052
Default Didn't expect such a caustic response.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Is WHAT OK with me??? I don't understand what you are trying to get across since your original premise is flawed.

The fact that people breathe or that some have bad breath isn't OK????

So people exhale when they yawn....they also exhale when they, you know, BREATHE!

As far as bad breath goes, may not be pleasant but I'm pretty sure its not contagious....

This IS about you because you seem to be under the impression that yawning can lead to disease transmission...

Fine....back it up

Find one journal or research article that supports your contention that droplet disease can be spread by yawning.....

I don't think this thread belongs in a Health and Wellness forum because yawning is a natural body function that has no relation to disease transmission.

Its a matter of etiquette not health.

I think people should cover their mouth when they yawn because its polite, not because I'm worried about being showered with spittle if they don't....because the only coming out of someone's mouth when they yawn is AIR
Here is a link to a whole host of varied articles:
Google


The Urban Dictionary even has a definition for it: Gleek - who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2010, 11:02 AM
 
5,291 posts, read 11,482,649 times
Reputation: 12987
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Here is a link to a whole host of varied articles:
Google


The Urban Dictionary even has a definition for it: Gleek - who knew?
A google list that discusses disease transmission by coughing and sneezing helps your case how exactly???

For example....from one of your listed "supporting" data:

"How Germs Spread

The main way that illnesses like colds and flu are spread is from person to person in respiratory droplets of coughs and sneezes. This is called "droplet spread."

Germs Germs Everwhere! How Germs Spread on MedicineNet.com

Do YOU see yawning listed there because I sure don't

In fact, I checked EVERY article on the first pages of your "list" NOT ONE mentions yawning as a mode of disease transmission....

You bolded my point about bad breath NOT being contagious...again...do you somehow believe otherwise or believe exposure to someone's bad breath is harmful to one's health???

Also not sure what "gleek" has to do with anything...it ISN'T yawning....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 PM
 
Location: In a chartreuse microbus
3,863 posts, read 5,456,872 times
Reputation: 8052
Definitions five and seven explain:
Urban Dictionary: gleek

Not having the time to check all 1.5 million entries in my google search for you, I did see where the act of simply talking can spread germs. So, if talking does, yawning can too. I didn't say it did every single time. Oh, and there's a new 'super bug' spreading out there now that is highly resistant to any antibiotics; the NDM-1: NDM-1, Superbug Gene, Could Spread Worldwide, Doctors Warn

Let's review: Hold a white piece of paper up to your mouth.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2010, 01:25 PM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,893,458 times
Reputation: 8171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
i always try to cover my mouth when yawning, at least in public, or around others. I see a lot of people covering their mouths ....

Same here.

Some people were taught manners at home, some weren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2010, 01:28 PM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,893,458 times
Reputation: 8171
Yes, people,please cover your mouth when yawning.

I'm not a doctor getting paid to examine your tonsils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2010, 01:39 PM
 
1,491 posts, read 4,731,102 times
Reputation: 949
If droplets from yawning are the nastiest things that your students get on their keyboards and desks, you must have a much more hygenic students than I ever had! The student bathrooms didn't have hot water in them or soap and usually no paper towels....if they bothered to wash their hands, they probably dried them on the rear of their jeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2010, 04:56 PM
 
5,291 posts, read 11,482,649 times
Reputation: 12987
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Definitions five and seven explain:
Urban Dictionary: gleek

Not having the time to check all 1.5 million entries in my google search for you, I did see where the act of simply talking can spread germs. So, if talking does, yawning can too. I didn't say it did every single time. Oh, and there's a new 'super bug' spreading out there now that is highly resistant to any antibiotics; the NDM-1: NDM-1, Superbug Gene, Could Spread Worldwide, Doctors Warn

Let's review: Hold a white piece of paper up to your mouth.........
Let's review: Hold a white piece of paper up to your mouth WHEN TALKING...same difference....its exhaling..big deal....

I'm done with this thread but your whole premise of needing to cover one's mouth to prevent the spread of disease is WRONG....

You say you can't review all the google entries.....then DON'T make a claim about public health you CAN'T back up with scientific evidence.....

Why don't we just mandate everyone wear a surgical mask at all times when out in public....its the same as what you are proposing.

Final point (again) Covering one's mouth while yawning is a matter of ETIQUETTE it is NOT an issue of PUBLIC HEALTH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2010, 05:23 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,849 posts, read 31,171,186 times
Reputation: 22435
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Hold a piece of white paper up to your mouth the next time you yawn, and you'll notice a fine spittle that sprays out. I see so many people, children and adults, that do not cover their mouths when they yawn. Some don't even turn their heads. It isn't only coughs and sneezes that we need to worry about.
With school starting and flu season just around the corner, can I gently ask that we start exercising a minimal amount of courtesy when yawning? I can't tell you how many times a day I wipe off keyboards and computer areas in our school because of this.
The reason is that when you sneeze or cough when ill the virus is air borne. Therefore you cover in an effort to stem the transmission of the illness to others, out of courtesy.

I do not believe that being bored is contagious, there is, therefor, no need to cover one's mouth when yawning. Notwithstanding preventing the swallowing of a fly, of course.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 11:11 AM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,949,579 times
Reputation: 12543
I was raised to cover my mouth when yawning or coughing. It was ingrained in me not by my parents but my school (which was pretty strict so you could get in trouble even for small stuff like that). But now that I touch other people's hands all day (tactile signing) in addition to all the other stuff including my computer, I prefer to do the turning head and coughing into my shoulder method.

I don't carry hand sanitizer (because I hate the smell and the residual texture it leaves on your hands) but I do wash my hands many times a day. I wash them regularly before and after eating, when I know I'm going to be receiving tactile signing for awhile (e.g. before a friend comes over or I go to meet a friend), after a long conversation. Also before I go out, after I've just been walking around outside for awhile I go inside to clean my hands and my cane handle. I also wash my hands before I am going to be using my computer for awhile or reading a book (and that's not just cause of the health factor but reading and typing with greasy hands just feels really gross.) I also disinfect my computer regularly. I know it sounds anal retentive but given the amount I touch people and things it only makes sense.

That said, I really appreciate it when people make an effort to keep their hands clean and I also appreciate when they make an effort to keep their mouth clean as well. Bad breath is unsanitary and also really unpleasant when you're trying to have a conversation. Coughing and yawning into your arm or shoulder seems like a pretty reasonable request to me.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 08-23-2010 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top