U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 02:02 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,877,907 times

Advertisements

Let me throw in a concept that many people can apply to longevity and that's discipline. Japaneses people have long life spans in part due to their extreme philosophy and ways of living IOW their dedication to custom.

Japanese people have a high incidence of stomach cancer due to their diets so it's not all roses for them. But with a people steeped in tradition and dedication to their way of life you will get longevity.

Also with a smaller body type the diseases that plague larger populations usually don't hinder them.

By custom and tradition the Japanese people are destined to live longer simply due to the fact they have centuries of successful experience at it.

In Japan they say "One country, one people"; together they survive longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 09:52 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,364,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Let me throw in a concept that many people can apply to longevity and that's discipline. Japaneses people have long life spans in part due to their extreme philosophy and ways of living IOW their dedication to custom.

Japanese people have a high incidence of stomach cancer due to their diets so it's not all roses for them. But with a people steeped in tradition and dedication to their way of life you will get longevity.

Also with a smaller body type the diseases that plague larger populations usually don't hinder them.

By custom and tradition the Japanese people are destined to live longer simply due to the fact they have centuries of successful experience at it.

In Japan they say "One country, one people"; together they survive longer.
I guess I was hanging out with the wrong people. The partying drunks I knew did not seem to have any more discipline than Americans. IMO I think the jury is still out on the longevity. I want to see how many more bodies are uncovered...

Old 08-25-2010, 06:33 PM

5,337 posts, read 11,508,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Not only that but don`t they have really bad air pollution over there. That`s damaging to your body.
That would be wrong....

http://www.photius.com/rankings/air_pollution_map.pdf

Air pollution in Tokyo is worse than LA and NYC combined....

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/D.../table3_13.pdf

Old 08-26-2010, 06:13 AM

3,432 posts, read 3,618,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I wouldn't exactly say "no need"...but yes, a greatly reduced need for prescription drugs.

Just one small example. I have acne. But when I eat right (especially sugar and fat) my acne goes away. Whenever I cut down or stop soda consumption, my acne goes away.

That's true in your case of the acne. If there was a way to cure acne thorugh food I'm sure all the dermatologists would have already realized it. Acne is a disease of the oil producing glands. Maybe your diet kept your acne under CONTROL but it certainly didn't cure it and that's what people are claiming on that forum. They are confusing control with cure.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:28 AM

55,163 posts, read 43,969,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Then don't go over the the exercise forum as there are at least 2 posters there saying foods can cure diseases
Yeah, that section is kookier than most of the forums around here. There is also the one regular over there that called people taking chemotherapy "cowards" and that it's actually the chemo that kills people and not the cancer. Then they make up numbers they cannot support while ignoring any peer reviewed statistics.

Nut. Jobs. Galore.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:34 AM

55,163 posts, read 43,969,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I have long thought that the "longevity" of Japanese people has been a load of ...poo(?). But I have never been able to prove it. Now it seems that at least some of the centenarians in Japan were just frauds meant to deceive the social welfare system: BBC News - Japan man 'kept dead mother in a backpack'

I'm tired of hearing how raw fish and seaweed are supposed to keep you young. The first actual Japanese food I had from an actual Japanese person was stewed beef.

Nevertheless, the media seems to want to make people feel guilty based on their "bad" diets. At any rate, since I had a difficult time in statistics class, I dislike statistics, and I see they have gone awry yet again. Mu ha ha
Statistics work great, they are like any tool...you just have to know what you are doing and especially understand the devil in the details.

For example, some countries will terminate pregnancies (abortion) where the kid has obvious serious defects more-so than others. Then you don't have these really sick kids dying at age 2, 6, 17 etc. and pulling down averages. You also have other factors like genetics, small people tend to live longer...you don't see a lot of *big* people make it much past 70 unless they've taken good care of themselves.

It's obvious that there are a number of factors contributing to a healthy life so IMO the people latching onto their diet need to be careful about the decision and any resulting claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness