U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2010, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,472 posts, read 15,615,224 times
Reputation: 6497

Advertisements

I have long thought that the "longevity" of Japanese people has been a load of ...poo(?). But I have never been able to prove it. Now it seems that at least some of the centenarians in Japan were just frauds meant to deceive the social welfare system: BBC News - Japan man 'kept dead mother in a backpack'

I'm tired of hearing how raw fish and seaweed are supposed to keep you young. The first actual Japanese food I had from an actual Japanese person was stewed beef.

Nevertheless, the media seems to want to make people feel guilty based on their "bad" diets. At any rate, since I had a difficult time in statistics class, I dislike statistics, and I see they have gone awry yet again. Mu ha ha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2010, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,430 posts, read 4,060,014 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I have long thought that the "longevity" of Japanese people has been a load of ...poo(?). But I have never been able to prove it. Now it seems that at least some of the centenarians in Japan were just frauds meant to deceive the social welfare system: BBC News - Japan man 'kept dead mother in a backpack'

I'm tired of hearing how raw fish and seaweed are supposed to keep you young. The first actual Japanese food I had from an actual Japanese person was stewed beef.

Nevertheless, the media seems to want to make people feel guilty based on their "bad" diets. At any rate, since I had a difficult time in statistics class, I dislike statistics, and I see they have gone awry yet again. Mu ha ha
Then don't go over the the exercise forum as there are at least 2 posters there saying foods can cure diseases
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,472 posts, read 15,615,224 times
Reputation: 6497
LOL I have been over there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2010, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,430 posts, read 4,060,014 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
LOL I have been over there.

This is something I have learned from that forum. If people would just exercise and eat healthy there would be no need for prescription drugs, my post partum depression is caused by my unhealthy lifestyle, acne can be cured by a change in diet. Brilliant LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 08:57 AM
 
2,065 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Reputation: 2396
It is not a matter of raw fish and seaweed.

Every culture has healthy and unhealthy dishes... It is a matter of good sense.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,661 posts, read 82,296,958 times
Reputation: 36482
If you don't like statistics and are pre-disposed to disallow their argumentative use, there is no point in trying to explain any dynamic systems to you.

The only way we know that certain toadstools are high in lethal toxins, is through the statistically convincing incidence of morbidity.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2010, 09:51 AM
 
3,806 posts, read 5,816,405 times
Reputation: 3334
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I have long thought that the "longevity" of Japanese people has been a load of ...poo(?). But I have never been able to prove it. Now it seems that at least some of the centenarians in Japan were just frauds meant to deceive the social welfare system: BBC News - Japan man 'kept dead mother in a backpack'

I'm tired of hearing how raw fish and seaweed are supposed to keep you young. The first actual Japanese food I had from an actual Japanese person was stewed beef.

Nevertheless, the media seems to want to make people feel guilty based on their "bad" diets. At any rate, since I had a difficult time in statistics class, I dislike statistics, and I see they have gone awry yet again. Mu ha ha
Semi-starvation has been shown to increase lifespan among mice. But yeah I like to eat too. Especially sushi.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 03:11 AM
 
30,389 posts, read 34,134,434 times
Reputation: 33294
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
This is something I have learned from that forum. If people would just exercise and eat healthy there would be no need for prescription drugs, my post partum depression is caused by my unhealthy lifestyle, acne can be cured by a change in diet. Brilliant LOL
I wouldn't exactly say "no need"...but yes, a greatly reduced need for prescription drugs.

Just one small example. I have acne. But when I eat right (especially sugar and fat) my acne goes away. Whenever I cut down or stop soda consumption, my acne goes away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,472 posts, read 15,615,224 times
Reputation: 6497
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If you don't like statistics and are pre-disposed to disallow their argumentative use, there is no point in trying to explain any dynamic systems to you.

The only way we know that certain toadstools are high in lethal toxins, is through the statistically convincing incidence of morbidity.
Statistics/probability/combinatorics are great for something like chemistry or gambling, but I always get heartburn when someone attempts to apply them to human behavior.

Collecting statistical data from large human populations can't be done properly IMO. In the case of numbers like "infant mortality," "suicide rate" etc, IF the data is going to be used for any purpose, the numbers should be VALIDATED and the responses investigated to provide a meaningful context.

Also, since people have been eating mushrooms for thousands of years. I think if you just asked someone in the countryside in France for instance "Is this poisonous?" you would get an answer at least as good as dispatching a team of scientists to count how many people died after eating a certain mushroom.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2010, 10:53 AM
 
1,963 posts, read 4,770,195 times
Reputation: 1443
Not only that but don`t they have really bad air pollution over there. That`s damaging to your body.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top