U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 01:06 PM

31,547 posts, read 34,801,307 times

Advertisements

I'm confused. What exactly do you find off putting about H1N1 that you don't find about any other flu strain that goes into the annual vaccine?

Old 08-20-2010, 01:48 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,618,607 times
don't tell me they are going to start with this h1n1 again and scare us all to death. I'm a germophobe and you don't even know the anxiety I suffered about this h1n1.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 PM

5,065 posts, read 14,125,147 times
I find this confusing. If someone has already had the h1n1 shot, why would they want another? Has the virus mutated, and the new combination addresses that? I'm just not a fan of over-vaccinating. It's not that I fear the government is trying to control us in same way, I just don't like all the chemicals involved. My family didn't get any flu shots last year, and I did get sick with a flu-like illness, but I still don't think we'll be getting any shots this year, either.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:02 PM

5,342 posts, read 11,508,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
Millions refused the H1N1 shot last year, so now they combine it with the yearly flu shot. I personally don't want anything to do with it. With Bill Gates statement earlier this year about vaccines and health care, we all should be a little leary about it.

OKLAHOMA CITY — For those concerned about the impending flu season, the government will be making the seasonal flu vaccine available again this year.
Except this year, there is a difference -the normal seasonal flu vaccine will be combined with swine flu (H1N1) vaccine as well.

Seasonal, H1N1 flu vaccine to be combined this fall

Gates made his remarks to the invitation-only Long Beach, California TED2010 Conference, in a speech titled, “Innovating to Zero!.” Along with the scientifically absurd proposition of reducing manmade CO2 emissions worldwide to zero by 2050, approximately four and a half minutes into the talk, Gates declares, "First we got population. The world today has 6.8 billion people. That's headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent."

Gates Vaccines
Moderator cut: rude
GATES: Well, the most exciting thing I learned when I was just getting into philanthropy was that, if you reduce childhood deaths, if you improve health in a society, that, surprisingly, population growth goes down. And that's because a parent needs to have some children survive into adulthood to take care of them when they're old.

And there's a miracle intervention, which is vaccines. In 1960, over 20 million children died. In 2005, less than 10 million died. And that's despite much larger global population.
CNN.com - Transcripts

One of the foremost philanthropists in the world is also one of the foremost SUPPORTERS of vaccination on a global scale...

Vaccines | Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Explain to me why anyone should be LEERY of vaccines based on comments by Bill Gates????

He is absolutely PRO VACCINATION!!!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 08-27-2010 at 09:30 AM..

Old 08-24-2010, 06:59 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,262,429 times
Could it be that Gates has invested heavily in pharmaceutical companies since relinquishing some of his holdings in microsoft? Do some googling, "bill gates and big pharma". If all those articles are correct is it any wonder he's all for it.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:07 PM

5,342 posts, read 11,508,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
Could it be that Gates has invested heavily in pharmaceutical companies since relinquishing some of his holdings in microsoft? Do some googling, "bill gates and big pharma". If all those articles are correct is it any wonder he's all for it.
"If all those articles are correct" ????

Seriously???

Critical thinking is also dead...

Bill Gates interest in vaccinations, particularly in third world countries, is a philanthropic endeavor.....its not an investment...at least not in the way you are thinking.....

Old 08-28-2010, 08:13 AM

8,171 posts, read 12,136,428 times
I got my last flu shot in.....2005 maybe? I go back and forth on whether or not to take one. I don't particularly like over vaccinating either. I was military for 25 years and we got soooo many freaking shots all the time. I have lasting issues with a reaction from my 3rd anthrax. Thats what woke me up, that and the attending "there is not problem with the shot" "there is nothing wrong with you" Right. The WHO and CDC's and generally the medical community are more concerned with the masses than individuals. They will not admit any issues with vaccines for fear people won't take them. Which is great for all of us in the masses. But not so great for all of us who are also individuals playing russian roulette with our immune systems. Very much a dilemma for everyone involved.
I know I wasn't keen on H1N1 because it seemed relatively new and since I feel they repress reports of problems and anything new can have kinks...didn't want to be a guinea pig.
What I am thinking of is perhaps asking my dr. to get me a single dose shot. Haven't thoroughly researched it but I've heard that the multi dose vials have more "ingredients" like preservatives etc. than the single dose vials. Don't know for sure if it would be better or prevent a possible reaction but can't hurt.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 PM

14,017 posts, read 18,375,330 times
What is this ridiculous paranoia? H1N1 is a strain of flu. Of course they will combine it with the annual flu vaccine. The reason it wasn't combined a year ago is it hadn't surfaced yet, i.e., it was too late in the vaccine production process to include it, therefore a separate vaccine for it was produced. This will no longer be necessary. Every single year, the flu vaccine includes the two or three strains which are thought to be most likely to be prevalent. What is this non-sense about "tricking" people? I certainly do not understand why anyone would want to risk being miserable from the flu just so they can say they didn't get a flu shot. What is the logic behind that?

Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM

15,246 posts, read 17,437,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Pretty sneaky and slimey way to get that H1N1 into people's systems.
I wonder how they will advertise this.
Sneaky?

I learned about it on the flyer my local grocery store pharmacy sent to the house. It clearly said the H1N1 vaccine was combined with the seasonal flu vaccine.

Both my daughter and I got both vaccines last year with no ill effects. Neither of us got the flu, either, although many kids at her school were diagnosed with it. I had regular flu once about 12 years ago and still remember the miserable 10 days that was. No thanks.

I am wondering if you got the H1N1 last year whether you need the combo shot, or can just get the seasonal. I imagine I'll ask the pharmacist.

Hope he's not part of a world-wide conspiracy to over-vaccinate and make Bill Gates richer and secretly infect people with a double extra sneaky .... something.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:38 AM

12,638 posts, read 22,581,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
Millions refused the H1N1 shot last year, so now they combine it with the yearly flu shot. I personally don't want anything to do with it. With Bill Gates statement earlier this year about vaccines and health care, we all should be a little leary about it.
I don't remember people refusing the shot; I remember there not being enough.

My hub had 1 vaccine last year (not H1N1); he was going through chemo & radiation. He didn't want to get the H1N1; we asked his cancer doctors; they all said no he did not need it.

I was not vaccinated at all last season; I was fine. We made sure we washed our hands; did not touch the elevator buttons with our fingers & tried not to walk near big crowds.

At home I regularly washed everything down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness