U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:14 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,668,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
I received my e-cigarette Friday at 1:30pm; by 4pm I was vaping and not smoking...I had 2 cigarettes on Saturday and 1 on Sunday and today (so far). If you can't seem to ditch the habit give it a try; it works for me.
That was the route that I went as well and I was able to quit quickly with no withdrawal symptoms. My next step is to gradually reduce the nicotine content in my e-cigs in order to kick this addiction for good.

If anyone else is interested in e-cigs, a great starting point is here: The ECF Library - E-Cigarette Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 08:22 PM

38,690 posts, read 91,107,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Heh, this thread got off on the wrong foot, eh?

I smoked for 7 years lightly, been smoke free for 23 days. Not much, I know, but I feel pretty confident going forward. I'm repping all the quitters in this thread as it's nice to read all your stories.
Heh, I wish I had a story to tell, but I'm one of those people smokers hate: someone for whom nicotine is not habit-forming. When I quit smoking it wasn't for any health reasons; it was because I was simply bored with it. So one day I just... stopped. It was barely even a conscious decision.

Alas, I have not lived a vice-free life so I still have an idea what smokers are going through in trying to quit. And I wish quitters the best of luck.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:23 PM

406 posts, read 1,285,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
That was the route that I went as well and I was able to quit quickly with no withdrawal symptoms. My next step is to gradually reduce the nicotine content in my e-cigs in order to kick this addiction for good.

If anyone else is interested in e-cigs, a great starting point is here: The ECF Library - E-Cigarette Forum

Wouldn't a person be just as successful gradually weaning themselves off of the actual ciggerette as opposed to useing an E-Gigarette? What is the benefit over gradually decreasing the amount you smoke from real ciggs?

Old 08-23-2010, 08:27 PM

6,295 posts, read 19,523,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
And I can get these statistics off of numerouse "QUITSMOKING.ORG" webesites as well.
Do we really need another lecture about the evils of manufactured tobacco? I don't and I'd bet many of the posters here don't as well. WE ALREADY KNOW yet we/you/us keep buying them. Unfortunately the taxes have gotten so high that people are looking for other alternatives; I found mine and I already feel better...less coughing on the first day and my sinuses are already clearer.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:30 PM

38,690 posts, read 91,107,894 times
Quote:
The reason I say NICOTINE is because It is just not ciggeretts that cause the cancer and other health problems. It is ALSO snuff, dip, ciggars, pipes etc. These also contribute. You can research it for yourself all of the facts and statistics are what they are. The only way nicotine may be debatible to the health is BEFORE it ever gets to the hands of man and its growing natural and you just pick it out of the ground and smoke it!!

[Snipped for brevity]
Then what you should have said is that tobacco causes cancer.

Nicotine is not a carcinogen. PERIOD. Tobacco however is a carcinogen, whether it's processed or just "plucked out of the ground and smoked," Nicotine gum does not cause cancer. Nicotine inhalers do not cause cancer. Transdermal nicotine patches do not cause cancer. These distinctions are important even if it frustrates you to have them pointed out to you.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't a person be just as successful gradually weaning themselves off of the actual ciggerette as opposed to useing an E-Gigarette? What is the benefit over gradually decreasing the amount you smoke from real ciggs?
An e-cigarette is un-like a real cigarette. There are people that have been using them for a long time but still have improved their health, taste, etc.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,668,769 times
Quote:
An e-cigarette delivers only nicotine (via water vapor) without any of the hundreds of harmful carcinogens found in regular cigarettes (let's remember, nicotine, by itself, is not dangerous in moderate doses). So, in essence, it functions much like the patch or gum, it is a form of nicotine replacement. It also addresses a psychological craving that many smokers have - just having that cig in your hand; that hand-to-mouth action, that the gum and patches do not address.

if someone is able to quit cold turkey - god bless em. But many cannot. The point of an e-cig (for those looking to quit) is it provides a way to first cut out all of the harmful crap in cigs that will kill you while you are trying to deal with your nicotine addiction.

A person could be successful weaning themselves off by reducing the number of analog cigarettes actually smoked. But each analog smoked is still harmful - each vape on an e-cig is not.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Do we really need another lecture about the evils of manufactured tobacco? I don't and I'd bet many of the posters here don't as well. WE ALREADY KNOW yet we/you/us keep buying them. Unfortunately the taxes have gotten so high that people are looking for other alternatives; I found mine and I already feel better...less coughing on the first day and my sinuses are already clearer.

ACTUALLY!! this post is for people who have either already QUIT, WANT TO QUIT OR HERE TO SUPPORT SOMEBODY ELSE QUIT!! Tobacco is killing TONS of people every year yet you are one of these people who dont want to hear about the "EVILS". Well what you call evils I call TRUTHS. Truths that you dont want to hear about because you rather be in denial about how dangerous they actually are.

Thats like an alchoholic not wantin to hear it. Like I stated earlier in this forum, if you are only hear to say that "WE ALREADY KNOW blah blah blah" than your in the wrong forum because this is for people who WANT to hear this stuff because they want to quit or help somebody quit because they are aware that they arnt just so called "evils" but its about bettering your life and liveing longer and being healthier.

If your not for the cause than your against it. And this thread is only for people for it. This wan intended to be a SUPPORT GROUP. why do people not get that? I should have known you cant do somethin like that on a public forum because you have people like you that just HAVE to put your two cents in even if they are not positive.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:37 PM

P.S. Anybody who doesn't want a "lecture" should have not even came to a group tittled "QUIT SMOKING SUPPORT" let alone comment on a post knowing this is ONLY for those people who need or want the support.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:56 PM

I am a quitter of 3-days. I don't need to see the evils you continue to post in this thread so I'm done here. Some support!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness