Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM

746 posts, read 1,242,237 times

Advertisements

I just got a Explanation of Benefits on my blood test from my annual physical exam. Apparently I am supposed to pay over $400 cause my doctor ordered some odd tests that have nothing to do with me or my physical.

Am I supposed to pay for this? I did not need these nor did I ask for these tests!

Incompetence is running ramped this days. Can anyone recommend a good attorney?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:53 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
I just got a Explanation of Benefits on my blood test from my annual physical exam. Apparently I am supposed to pay over $400 cause my doctor ordered some odd tests that have nothing to do with me or my physical.

Am I supposed to pay for this? I did not need these nor did I ask for these tests!

i) Yes you are responsible if he makes an error.

2) Check and make sure he ordered the tests.
Those people billing make mistakes, and ones
coding the results do too.

Old 08-23-2010, 05:12 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:

How do you know the tests had nothing to do with you or your physical exam?

If you requested and consented to the exam then you are responsible for the tests your doctor felt were necessary and appropriate...

Were you supposed to decide which tests were needed and ask for the ones you wanted??

Old 08-23-2010, 06:13 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
If you actually had the tests performed, then yes you are responsible for paying them.

Yes, it's the doctor's responsibility to test you appropriately. But it's also your responsibility to be aware of what the doctor is ordering for you. If he says "go take this piece of paper and bring it to the lab and they'll take care of everything," it's up to you to ask "what does this piece of paper MEAN?"

And if he doesn't explain it in a way that you understand, you ask him to explain it differently. Or ask for the physician's assistant to explain it (they tend to speak Human-Ese rather than Doctor-Ese when talking to patients - they're bi-lingual like that ).

Old 08-23-2010, 06:42 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I would say no, ask the doctor to reverse the charges due to billing error... its not your fault and you shouldn't pay for it...

Old 08-23-2010, 06:57 PM

324 posts, read 862,406 times
why did you not question the doctor as to what tests were being ordered? If a mechanic was giving you a bill- I'm sure you would want everything itemized and explained. You really need to take more responsibility...In the end it's all up to you what you do. You opted to go to the lab and be tested. Ignorance is no excuse.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:02 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:

I would suggest contacting your doctor's office first, as opposed to an internet message board, and ask for a clarification.

Go ahead and hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit...you can thank yourself later for contributing to the ever increasing cost of healthcare.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:07 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
See a lawyer. They will not charge you to tell you whether you have a case or not. Your only other options are to ask your doctor to pay the bills (which he probably won't do just a guess though) or pay it yourself.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Did you sign a consent? That is a small amout for any attorney to be interested in tho.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:33 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
If the doctor's office made an error and checked the wrong box on the lab form, they should be willing to contact your insurance company and the lab about their error and make it right. If the lab ran the wrong test then they should write off the charges. Either way, if it was an error and you are calm, polite and knowledgeable, I bet you will find someone willing to help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness