Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2008, 07:00 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,476,383 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how much it typically costs to have blood work done? I know it probably varies some, but I don't have a clue.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 07:53 PM

419 posts, read 1,917,904 times
I'm no expert, but I can tell you what I pay. I have been having 2 different test for the past few years. One test is the Berkeley and the other is the standard test for liver, glucose, etc. The Berkerley test runs about $1200, but since I have insurance I only pay on about $85. The other blood test runs about $250 and with my insurance I only pay around $6 (depends on the lab). I'm sure the more educated folks will chime in. My test are specific to my condition, therefore my doc has requested these particular test to monitor things specific to me. Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:20 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,476,383 times
Thank you BoydS. I appreciate the help. I have a high deductible, so it looks like I'll have most of it taken care of this year...

Old 03-18-2008, 04:31 AM

18,432 posts, read 34,262,787 times
If you go to a physicians office to have it drawn, there is usually a venipincture fee. 25 where I work. If they run the blood there, then they will charge you the costs of the individual tests.

If they just spin it and send to an outside lab, you will be charged for the venipuncture fee, and the hospital or independant lab will charge you.

Your insurance should pick up the cost. Usually tehre is a deductible with er visits and radiology. Of course this is not always the case.

There are so many different tests in the way of blood draw, so there is no way of knowing, besides knowing shich tests are to be run, and then how much your ins will pick up fr there.

Most always, if you only have one insurance, there will be something left over cost-wise... whatever percentage your ins doesn't pick up.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:15 AM

33,502 posts, read 37,019,121 times
Good Gawd...I had no idea blood work was so costly. I have never even thought about the cost, because I have never paid a dime. I have had more than a dozen blood tests in the last 6 months......I'd be a pauper if I didn't live in Canada

Old 11-01-2010, 02:06 AM

405 posts, read 1,276,934 times
I tried to donate plasma for an outfit called Sera Care.
They are doing a study on Chrones patients.
However, they want the donor to foot the cost of the
blood tests themselves for screening.
The particular tests they want (ANCA panel) costs $1000.
No wonder they won't pay it.
And it's way to rich for my blood.
And I have no health insurance.
Why are these tests so expensive??
Does anyone know where I can get this done on the cheap??

Old 11-01-2010, 08:42 AM

914 posts, read 4,436,568 times
It probably depends of what type of blood work you want to do. The last time I had a physical the blood panel was about $300. Lab work is so expensive.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:08 AM

405 posts, read 1,276,934 times
Default re: blood work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
It probably depends of what type of blood work you want to do. The last time I had a physical the blood panel was about $300. Lab work is so expensive.

They need a P-ANCA, C-ANCA, and an ASCA tests.
The ASCA is only $53 but the two ANCA panels are $863.
I called several test labs and the prices are the same.
Why those tests are so high I don't know.
My doctor did these when I was diagnosed six years ago
but they want test results within the past two years.
I'm a veteran so I go to the VA for all my health care and
they won't do these tests for purposes of a research study.
Private insurance won't cover it either for that matter since
it's an elective test and not a required diagnostic.

And Sera Care won't pay for it either.
They want YOU to front the bill.
I laughed at the guy and told him he's not going to get many
volunteers operating like that.
He said he does but I'm skeptical.
They would pay $800 a week for my plasma so I offered to
let them hold back the first week of donations to cover the
cost of the tests.
They still wouldn't go for it.
These Sera Care people are really hard to deal with.
They don't want to work with you at all.
I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 90,090 times
In South Korea, where I live, blood work for heart and liver function come to a little under $40 USD without medical insurance. Korean students rank in the top five countries in nearly all academic subjects, so the nurses and doctors are well trained. Many speak English. Moreover, if you go to a mid-sized or larger hospital, you'll find all the latest equipment. If you're spending a lot in the US on health care, spend a couple hundred instead on a plane ticket, take a vacation, and get your med work done in Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness