U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2010, 10:10 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,081,315 times

Advertisements

2010.09.02 -- Americans Blind to the Obesity Epidemic (http://www.womenshealth.gov/news/english/642638.htm - broken link)

""While there are some people who have body images in line with their actual BMI, for many people they are not, and this may be where part of the problem lies," said Regina Corso, vice president of Harris Poll Solutions. "If they do not recognize the problem or don't recognize the severity of the problem, they are less likely to do something about it.""

I was shocked at this poll.

30% Overweight people thought they were normal
70% Obese thought they were just overweight
Morbid Obesity = 60% thought they were obese, 39% thought just overweight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 11:38 AM

438 posts, read 1,539,501 times
I think you get used to how you feel and look and in turn think you are normal or average. A little more then a year ago I was 50 pounds overweight. I thought I only needed to lose 10 pounds or so (at least in my head) Then I started going to the gym 4-5 days a week, cut out drinking alchohol during the week and ate really well during the week. I started to drop pounds quick. As soon as I lost 10 pounds I realized I had A LOT more weight to lose. A year plus later I have dropped 50 pounds and am finally at the weight I should be! So I think you just get used to what you look like and fell like...Once you start to lose the weight and you will realize how much you actually have to lose...

Old 09-03-2010, 04:30 PM

9,962 posts, read 17,869,926 times
A couple of reasons for that. 1. You get used to adjusting the way you stand in the mirror so that you don't see the extra lbs. I've been 50 lbs overweight before and it didn't appear to me that I was that big when I looked in the mirror. Then I saw a picture of myself. . .

2. Everyone else is overweight too. It's an interesting exercise to go watch a movie from the 70's or before--everyone in them looks almost anorexic. Those people were of a normal weight then but now 20 lbs overweight is the new normal. Not healthy at all.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:50 PM

42,662 posts, read 76,364,842 times
I'm not blind to it. My supermarket looks like the obesity capital of the world.

The obesity rate in the US is almost double that of Canada, yet in Canada it is hard to see any difference in people's lifstyle. The obesity rate in the US is even higher than in Mexico, which means we would have an even higher obesity rate, if it weren't for all those illegal aliens slimming down our average.

The self perception problem is that when a woman asks "Do I look fat in this?", nobody ever says Yes.

//www.city-data.com/top2/co14.html

By the way, "obesity" is very loosely and poorly defined. When I was 5'11.5", I was not considered overweight on the charts until 180. But, in advancing age (now 71) my body has compressed and my posture has degraded, so I'm now only 5'10". Still exactly the same body, but I had to give up ten pounds in order to avoid slipping into "overweight", because at 5'10", I'm overweight if more than 170. Now, applying exactly the same formula to exactly the same body, the definition of 'overweight' has expanded.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-03-2010 at 05:40 PM..

Old 09-03-2010, 05:14 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,682,787 times
I work with a guy that is MASSIVE! He says he is just a big guy! (we talking belly hanging over the pants into his lap, pushing his pants down to his hip sockets... but he is just a big man)

Another one asked me to see what my iPhone app said about his BMI... He was STUNNED to see it said OBESE! He couldn't believe it.

So Yes, they are blind to it, to admit it would mean admitting they have a problem. I call it suicide with food.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:54 PM

9,962 posts, read 17,869,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'm not blind to it. My supermarket looks like the obesity capital of the world.
For an interesting sociological study, go sit in a Wal-Mart any time of the day or night. Not too long though or you might eat something, lol.

Also, put this on your fridge:Moderator cut: not appropriate, rude No, I'm not directing this one at you Jtur. At 71, you're probably slimmer than most teenagers today. I know I am, at 30 lbs overweight. But hey, it's the new 10 lbs overweight.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-06-2010 at 07:51 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 11:06 AM

1,036 posts, read 1,542,760 times
Maybe we are all so muscular that BMI doesn't work for us. So we are really not overweight, we are all just built like football players and bodybuilders. I'm sure the lady above says she feels anorexic when she only weighed 200 lbs. She's probably at a "healthy" weight now.

Stepka is right. Watch a movie or show before the 80's and see what kind of clothes they wear, especially the guys. Today all those pants are considered skinny jeans when they used to be normal. Tucking in is definitely not cool anymore, otherwise we'd have to see your gut.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:42 PM

731 posts, read 1,415,693 times
Yes, a lot of people in the U.S. are obese and morbidly obese, and most of the time when local people are interviewed by news media, they focus on the morbidly obese. I don't think these people are in denial as much as they just don't want to admit they have a condition that needs help. It must be very difficult for a morbidly obese person to try to lose 200 or so pounds.

I also think that people with hypothyroidism and other glandular conditions are overweight but have a difficult time losing weight, and many just give up because trying to lose weight is futile.

There are many reasons people become obese and while food and exercise are major components, so are organic health issues.

It must be extremely difficult for people such as the lady in the picture to enjoy life when they are so large they can hardly move. God help them.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:13 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,467,377 times
I work at a pharmacy and the amount of people that are massive is just upsetting. Most of the huge overwieght people are not very old since people that overweight don't make it to old age We have a drive through window and they drive through or sometimes they actually walk "all the way into the pharmacy" and you should see the sweat pouring off these gigantic people. I feel bad for them, but, at some point they need to take control of there lives, just like a person that is addicted to any sort of drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness