Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 08:52 AM

830 posts, read 1,665,690 times

Advertisements

I caution you this post is not for the squeamish...but I guess this is the right forum for this kind of stuff.

Anyway for two weeks now I've had this cut at the corner of my mouth and it's driving me crazy! Overall it has not improved with time. I thought it started because of acne (a constant problem for me) but I've never had acne cause this so I'm not sure. It's not like there's a pimple or a cold sore or anything like that right at that area, just a cut. Also thought it might be due to dry lips and skin which causes problems for me as well (and as of a couple months ago it appears I have patches of dry/rashy skin on my legs and arms that won't go away but this cut on my mouth doesn't look the same).

Of course as it starts to heal it leaves a little scar tissue which is ugly--it's not even red, it's the color of my skin and crusty. Then a bigger issue comes when I have to move my mouth to eat, or even just to talk or smile because whatever progress the cut had in healing is literally broken. Sometimes it bleeds a lot, sometimes just a tiny bit. Certain foods (like fresh fruits and vegetables) cause the side of my mouth to sting. The same thing happens every day, the cut heals while I sleep but as soon as I move my lips the slightest bit it cracks again...I'm tired of it: it's painful, annoying, and very unattractive. I'm reluctant to get too close to anyone because I'm afraid they think I have herpes or some other contagious disease (I don't judge people with these problems obviously but others do harshly).

The most I've done with this is wash the area like I do the rest of my face--I use a "gentle" skin cleanser and occasionally bar soap on my face. For acne I use a spot treatment but this cut doesn't seem to respond to it--whether or not I use the spot treatment it looks the same. I'm concerned about how I treat this as it is on/in/by my mouth.

Is there anything I can do other than just "wait it out?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 10:23 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Doesn't sound like a cut, sounds like a canker sore (crusty is indicative). Use something like Zilactin. And don't kiss anyone until it goes away!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:15 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Sounds like you probably have a condition known as "angular cheilitis" which is an inflammation at the corners of the mouth. Here's a link to the wiki article. Angular cheilitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The best thing to do is visit your doctor or dermatologist. Usually an anti-fungal will do the trick, but most over the counter versions can't be used in that location.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
I get this when I eat a lot of nuts. I like nuts but they leave me in pain so I avoid them as much as I can. If you eat a lot of nuts, you might find an association between the two. Lots of people have peanut allergy, I suppose this is a less severe form of it. I don't experience any other symptoms so I don't avoid them completely but now I know if I binge eat nuts I'm going to suffer afterward!

Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 AM

830 posts, read 1,665,690 times
Thanks everyone. I know I should see a doctor anyway because of the rashes on other parts of my body, plus other concerns, so I'll ask about this thing too. I've never had this problem with my mouth until recently; I had a similar cut on the other corner of my mouth a few weeks ago but it went away much quicker than the one I have currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness