U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 08:37 PM

15,712 posts, read 14,191,743 times

Advertisements

I have prescription glasses..........can't read without them.........but can see well enough otherwise, {but not perfect}........so........sometimes I forget to put them on when I leave the house.

So, I keep a pair of cheaters in the car...........I need them to read the controls on the car, or maybe a speeding ticket .

I also use a pair of cheaters when I am on the computer.........easier than angling around with my bifocals. {My eye doctor said a lot of people do this}

I also wear a pair of cheaters when I mow the yard, twice now I have knocked my glasses off while mowing under low-hanging tree branches and busted them............thank goodness they weren't my "good" glasses.

I really don't need glasses to mow the yard............but I do need them to see the little froggies I do not want to mow over.

I used cheaters for years before I broke down and got prescrition glasses. Everyone does it. My eye Dr. said it doesn't hurt your vision.

Dispensing ONE contact lens to a person in an emergency is not going to harm someone's vision..........the law is just too restrictive............and as in the OP's case..........dangerous.

It is a good idea to keep a few pairs of cheaters around, they are cheap and they come in handy at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 PM

7,377 posts, read 13,778,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Not saying it was...but if you have a restriction for corrective eye wear on your drivers license you shouldn't have been driving in the first place. Lortab is a prescription pain killer.
You just don't get it, do you? Lost lens, miles from home, in need of emergency lens.
To me, it makes sense to offer a contact lens so I can safely make it back home.
I get it though, I might do myself irreparable damage in the time it takes to drive home and then I'd sue the company, yadda yadda yadda.
In a sensible world the answer would be: "Here's a replacement lens, please bring in your current prescription next time you come in."
Feel free to counter with some other criticism. I know you want to, but I think most reasonable people wouldn't get bent out of shape if a clerk offered a single lens to a customer so they could drive safely.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 PM

6,295 posts, read 19,526,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
You just don't get it, do you? Lost lens, miles from home, in need of emergency lens.
To me, it makes sense to offer a contact lens so I can safely make it back home.
I get it though, I might do myself irreparable damage in the time it takes to drive home and then I'd sue the company, yadda yadda yadda.
In a sensible world the answer would be: "Here's a replacement lens, please bring in your current prescription next time you come in."
Feel free to counter with some other criticism. I know you want to, but I think most reasonable people wouldn't get bent out of shape if a clerk offered a single lens to a customer so they could drive safely.
Oh, yes, I get it! No one has to break laws for you and that is what that establishment would have been doing. They would lose their license if they were caught; but you think they should have risked that for you.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 AM

15,408 posts, read 20,623,153 times
You're blaming others for YOUR responsibility to have a backup...contacts or glasses or a prescription that isnt expired.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:40 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,488,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I have prescription glasses..........can't read without them.........but can see well enough otherwise, {but not perfect}........so........sometimes I forget to put them on when I leave the house.

So, I keep a pair of cheaters in the car...........I need them to read the controls on the car, or maybe a speeding ticket .

I also use a pair of cheaters when I am on the computer.........easier than angling around with my bifocals. {My eye doctor said a lot of people do this}

I also wear a pair of cheaters when I mow the yard, twice now I have knocked my glasses off while mowing under low-hanging tree branches and busted them............thank goodness they weren't my "good" glasses.

I really don't need glasses to mow the yard............but I do need them to see the little froggies I do not want to mow over.

I used cheaters for years before I broke down and got prescrition glasses. Everyone does it. My eye Dr. said it doesn't hurt your vision.

Dispensing ONE contact lens to a person in an emergency is not going to harm someone's vision..........the law is just too restrictive............and as in the OP's case..........dangerous.

It is a good idea to keep a few pairs of cheaters around, they are cheap and they come in handy at times.
ok-I give up wtf are cheaters? Perhaps you mean those nonprescription magnifying glasses you buy at the drugstore? alot of good they do for distance vision-maybe if she drives with a Wall Street Journal in front of her face. As a contact wearer for 30 years myself I can relate to needing a spare- but I've never been without backup prescription glasses or even prescription sunglasses. I sympathize OP but seriously be prepared- lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on someone elses part. Go to zenni optical .com and pick out 2-3 pairs of cheap glasses- as I recall they don't verify your prescription. What i don't understand is if she couldn't help you- why did she think Costco would?

Old 09-04-2010, 05:33 PM

42,662 posts, read 76,448,315 times
There is no federal law. Each state has its own laws. Contacts are covered more strictly becuase the lens actually touches the eye, and needs to match the curvature of the cornea. In Texas, a doctor may write a Rx for regular glasses without a date on the Rx, but must date a contact Rx.

http://www.consumersunion.org/health...ruless0200.htm

Everyone who has a drivers license that specifies glasses required has the responsibility to assure that glasses are available to him. So any driver who uses contacts ought to carry a pair of regular glasses in the car at all times, exactly for the reason you described. In some countries, if glasses are required for driving, you MUST have a spare pair in the vehicle, and can be ticketed if you don't. That includes most European countries.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-04-2010 at 05:55 PM..

Old 09-04-2010, 05:38 PM

29,986 posts, read 38,311,404 times
Quote:
So it was safer for me to go out driving than have a potentially dangerous contact lens for a day?
It would be more safe if you took the responsibility upon yourself to keep a back-up pair of galsses for just such situations. It was your choice to be unsafe and drive, nobody elses. You could have parked your vehicle and called a cab. Take some personal accountability for your situtation instead of blaming the person who would not fill an expired presecription or for making unsafe decisions.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:58 PM

33,099 posts, read 61,998,381 times
Quote:
Or how about: "Let me call your optometrist."

Old 09-04-2010, 09:51 PM

12,576 posts, read 13,707,889 times
A woman pulls into a car repair shop for her annual state inspection, she has her obonoxious, unruly kids with her. In an effort to get her out of the shop quickly the mechanic short cuts the inspection. BAM!! She works for the state & is spot checking shops to make sure inspections are done correctly. The mechanic & shop get fined.
Get the point?

Old 09-05-2010, 02:26 AM

15,712 posts, read 14,191,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
ok-I give up wtf are cheaters? Perhaps you mean those nonprescription magnifying glasses you buy at the drugstore? alot of good they do for distance vision-maybe if she drives with a Wall Street Journal in front of her face. As a contact wearer for 30 years myself I can relate to needing a spare- but I've never been without backup prescription glasses or even prescription sunglasses. I sympathize OP but seriously be prepared- lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on someone elses part. Go to zenni optical .com and pick out 2-3 pairs of cheap glasses- as I recall they don't verify your prescription. What i don't understand is if she couldn't help you- why did she think Costco would?
Maybe, I am talking about the glasses you can buy in different strenghts in drugstores and dept. stores. They have strenghts like: +1.00, +1.25, +1.50 and so on.

I have always heard of them referred to as "cheaters"..........even on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness