U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:16 AM

43,012 posts, read 95,017,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
So it was safer for me to go out driving than have a potentially dangerous contact lens for a day?
Quote:
You just don't get it, do you? Lost lens, miles from home, in need of emergency lens.
To me, it makes sense to offer a contact lens so I can safely make it back home.
I get it though, I might do myself irreparable damage in the time it takes to drive home and then I'd sue the company, yadda yadda yadda.
Oh, we get it. What you don't get is that you should have glasses for emergencies like this. If not, you shouldn't drive the car if you can't see properly, especially if you're required to have corrective eyewear to drive. You're the one being irresponsible, not the eye store. If you're miles away from home, you call someone to pick you up, you call a taxi. You don't get into the car and drive.

Quote:
In a sensible world the answer would be: "Here's a replacement lens, please bring in your current prescription next time you come in."
Feel free to counter with some other criticism. I know you want to, but I think most reasonable people wouldn't get bent out of shape if a clerk offered a single lens to a customer so they could drive safely.
I wouldnt' have even gone into the store! I know better! I know that I can't get a prescription filled when it's expired! I'm an informed, reasonable person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Maybe, I am talking about the glasses you can buy in different strenghts in drugstores and dept. stores. They have strenghts like: +1.00, +1.25, +1.50 and so on.

I have always heard of them referred to as "cheaters"..........even on TV.
Those wouldn't help someone who is nearsighted. You're farsighted. You need glasses to read. The OP is nearsighted. She needs glasses to drive.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
What i don't understand is if she couldn't help you- why did she think Costco would?
Costco has an optomitrist department. It's probably cheaper to get a new prescription there.

Plus, the clerk responded with the Costco suggestion after the OP went on a rant about losing her life driving without seeing.

By that time, the cleark probably just wanted her out of her store. But Costco was a good idea.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 AM

12,585 posts, read 22,542,583 times
Quote:
You just don't get it, do you? Lost lens, miles from home, in need of emergency lens.
To me, it makes sense to offer a contact lens so I can safely make it back home.
I get it though, I might do myself irreparable damage in the time it takes to drive home and then I'd sue the company, yadda yadda yadda.
In a sensible world the answer would be: "Here's a replacement lens, please bring in your current prescription next time you come in."
Feel free to counter with some other criticism. I know you want to, but I think most reasonable people wouldn't get bent out of shape if a clerk offered a single lens to a customer so they could drive safely.
Where do you normally fill your contacts? I would think that if you called your own eye Dr; then had them call where you normally go; someone may have helped you - but you may have needed a new exam.

What everyone is saying is that you should have a backup pair of glasses or contacts with you because it is your responsibility. If you do not have back up; you may have to pay for an eye exam.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:07 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,961,712 times
having the wrong glasses prescription can really mess you up. i was legally blind for 7 years because of a miscorrected and then uncorrected refractice error. my brain never learned how to see properly so the damange was done on the brain level. i have other eye problems too but a lot of my later eye probelms were severely exacerbated by the wrong glasses and then no glasses when i needed them. now i'm totally blind.

so yeah i think it can be likened to overdosing or missing a dosage. just get your exam. don't drive in the meantime.

ps - please excuse typos, broken hand

Old 09-05-2010, 11:19 PM

42,662 posts, read 76,381,080 times
Here's an idea for future reference. Go to an online source like zenni optical, and order a $9 pair of glasses, using a recent Rx. (They're in China, they don't care if you have an Rx, you just enter the numbers on line.) Stash them in your car. Even ten years from now, they'll still be good enough to correct your vision to the minimum standard of the drivers code, which is not very high. 20/40 in at least one eye, in the strictest states, 20/100 in some.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-05-2010 at 11:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness