Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,359,277 times

Advertisements

Read what's on the back.

Why Trans Fat Free Labels Are Misleading Video
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 09:28 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,359,277 times
And I've been eating a lot of stuff from my vending machine at work assuming the food was healthy because of the 0 grams trans fat labels. I'am glad I found this info.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:41 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,612,339 times
Yeap i've posted about this a couple of times here over the last several years and as long as the Ingredients label states Partially Hydrogenated Oil then even at 0 fat grams it has trans fats as the FDA allows 0.5 grams per serving to be labeled as Fat Free.

My fave example is for ''Fat Free Cool Whip'' that lists 0 fat grams per serving and yet it has partially hydrogenated oil in it and so if you ate the entire tub at 66 servings you just consumed 33 grams of Trans Fat from a supposedly Fat Free product

Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
One of the many reasons why you should either eat things known to contain fat, or eat things known to not contain fat, and stop trying to find "fat free" things that normally contain fat.

Real dairy cream Butter, not synthesized vegetable fat solids.
Ice Cream, not artificially flavored artificially colored frozen tofu.
Beef or genuine falafel, not artificially flavored freeze-dried-reconstituted veggie burgers.

Eat more "real" foods, less "pretend to be something that it isn't" foods, and you won't have to wonder who's fooling whom. You might eat more fat, but at least you'll KNOW it's fat. It won't be fat hiding in a fat-free container.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:44 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,664 times
This has been my pet peeve ever since they started scamming the public with that "0 TRANS FAT" labeling on stuff. WHO eats just one serving of anything? I had a dietitian tell me back in the 80's to AVOID Partially Hydrogenated Oil so they knew back that long ago that it was bad for us but it is STILL allowed TODAY.. I have to ask WHY is that allowed? Here we are 30 years later and heart disease is rampant! Who are they kidding? They knew it was bad for us and yet have allowed it to be put in our food.. WHY?

Truth in labeling should be mandatory and how much trans fat is in the container should be clearly written on the package, bottle or box! THE WHOLE PACKAGE!!!

Old 09-08-2010, 06:23 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,768,804 times
Here's a clue:

Butter = mostly fat
Oil of all types = all fat
Partially hydrogenated oil = all fat

Anything containing any of the above, has fat in it. If you're trying to avoid fat, don't eat things that contain any of those three.

Stop stressing over trans fat, unsaturated, saturated, polyunsaturated - does the average consumer even really know what this stuff MEANS? It's fat. Either it's safe for you to indulge once in awhile, or it isn't. Either it's safe for you to allow a bit in your cooking, or it isn't. Some people have to have a fat-free diet. Some people can have fat, but just need to reduce their intake a bit.

Here's another clue: Fat melts. It's OKAY to have that 80% lean ground beef instead of spending an extra $2/pound on 93% ground sirloin. It's okay, because you're going to drain all that melted fat out of the pan before adding the sauce. So you'll end up with around 90% lean anyway, after cooking. In fact, it might be even healthier for you that way, because you'll also be eating less red meat.

1 1/4 pound burger made with 80% lean, drained of fat (because it drips down into the fire on the grill) will yield a much smaller burger, than a 1/4 pound burger made with 93% lean. Almost the same fat after cooking, but less red meat, which results in a healthier portion of red meat. Plus, the fat that's melting, is melting through the beef, so it tastes better and doesn't end up as a ground sirloin hockey puck on a plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness