Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 05:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times

Advertisements

I've thought about this one for going on 6 yrs soon since my hip replacement, which left me with Many complications. The parts themselves are probably OK, no infections or recalls but 3 major complications. It came to me a while ago, that the surgeon was probably so ready to end his week of surgery and refresh on the weekend....I did my surgery on a Friday afternoon. This issue never ever occurred to me. I've had 2 surgeries in my life one at 40 a hysterectomy and at 72 hip replacement. Both left me with nerve damage and the latter MAJOR nerve damage.

Damages are:
Shorter Leg
IT Band Damage (sore and numb)
Femoral Nerve Damage (thigh is 80% numb)

These have caused me to limp, waddle like a penguin, and a bowed leg.

Which Day Of The Week Should You Schedule A Surgery? | Care2 Causes

The surgeon was in a Hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 10:55 PM

37,101 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Surgery done on a weekend is more often urgent or emergent. It's not unreasonable to expect higher complication rates under those circumstances. The patients are sicker.

Surgeons often have blocks of OR time scheduled for their use. If your surgeon's blocks are on Wednesday and Friday, you will get scheduled on a Wednesday or a Friday.

What do the authors of the article expect the hospitals to do? Just run their ORs on Monday and Tuesday?

The complications you had are a recognized risk of the surgery and do not mean the person who did the procedure was "in a hurry".

Old 06-06-2016, 11:03 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
As bad as Fridays and weekends may be, I also wouldn't want a surgery on a Monday. Who knows what happened over the weekend and maybe the surgeon is a bit rusty after having a few days off. If it was up to me I'd schedule surgeries for myself Tuesday-Thursday only .

Old 06-07-2016, 05:24 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,180,565 times
As suzy has accurately pointed out, you don't have much discretion when deciding when to schedule surgery. For that matter, the surgeon often doesn't have as much flexibility as you think either. As mentioned, many/most surgeons have block times. You have to have blocks times because a surgeon often offices and shares space with multiple other providers not to mention that OR staff like Surg Techs and RN's will often cross cover and work with several surgeons, and yes, it is very important that well trained staff who are familiar with the surgeon be the ones working with him/her. It makes the entire case proceed more smoothly and greatly reduces the potential for error.

Even on a daily basis, the schedule in an OR is very fluid based on changing needs, emergencies coming in etc. There are Managers and staff whose sole job it is to run the OR schedule. Non emergent and elective cases (like joint replacements) are often bumped and start times pushed back hours or even into other days. Or surgical cases get scheduled, only to find out that the patient doesn't get cleared for surgery by the Medicine or Anesthesiology service. Some OR's don't manage things well even in the best of circumstances and poor OR turnover can be a big source of frustration for surgeons. So, there are a host of things that can, and do, get in the way of a patient wanting to have a procedure on a certain day.

And surgeons who have done hundreds of procedures over and over don't get rusty after a few days or even weeks. Just like Lawyers don't forget how to write contracts and Accountants don't forget how to use Excel after being on vacation for a week or two. Surgeons also generally don't rush through things merely to finish early; they strive to do the same thing the same way each time. Repetition by sticking to routine procedure usually creates the best outcome. And what some consider "rushing" or "being in a hurry" is not necessarily a negative. Completing cases efficiently reduces time the patient is under anesthesia, tourniquet time etc and that also generally leads to better outcomes.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 06-07-2016 at 05:45 AM..

Old 06-07-2016, 10:22 AM

I elected the hip replacement date and it was a Friday as I wanted to come home at least on Monday...so I did have a choice. Emergency surgery, usually no choice.

We don't know what was going on in that surgeon's mind etc....and my outcome has been horrid and I've talked to some others who had bad outcomes and enough who did fine. I don't know how many are done worldwide, millions, so we can only go on what we experience and from hearing from others and believe me I've been on plenty of replacement groups. And talked to others who also had bad outcomes from this surgeon. Unless you've had a replacement, you don't know.

And the day of the week could have been a factor, that has entered my mind for sure.

From this surgery, arthritic knee is worse due to shorter outcome, body alignment off, and I can't imagine another surgery...I'm not a surgery minded person in the first place and then to have this horrid outcome....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 06-07-2016, 03:06 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,904,376 times
There was some research done on this and I believe it was a Tuesday that was the best day or maybe Monday afternoon

Old 06-07-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
There was some research done on this and I believe it was a Tuesday that was the best day or maybe Monday afternoon
Too late for me, wonder if it would have made a DIFFERENCE? Maybe the surgeon would have been sharper on monday or tuesday.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:52 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
Never on a Friday...and never in the early summer...thats when new doctors start their rounds! Assuming it's not an emergency....schedule wisely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness