U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 02:31 PM

14 posts, read 35,176 times

Advertisements

Is there a link between Gallstones, Ovarian Cysts linked with Hypothyroidism? I'm currently suffering from gallstones, recurring cysts, and 3 years ago suffered from what my endocrinologist called "post-partem thyroiditis".

I haven't been having my thyroid checked regularly like I should, and I've over the last year developed the stones and cysts.

Going to the surgeon tomorrow regarding the stones, and will probably mention as well the past thyroid issues to see if that could have anything to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 04:19 PM

25,219 posts, read 30,079,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmate View Post
Is there a link between Gallstones, Ovarian Cysts linked with Hypothyroidism? I'm currently suffering from gallstones, recurring cysts, and 3 years ago suffered from what my endocrinologist called "post-partem thyroiditis".

I haven't been having my thyroid checked regularly like I should, and I've over the last year developed the stones and cysts.

Going to the surgeon tomorrow regarding the stones, and will probably mention as well the past thyroid issues to see if that could have anything to do with it.
Interestingly enough, the answer is a qualified yes.

Hypothyroidism does affect liver function, with an increase in the excretion of bilirubin, increase in cholesterol, and decrease in the muscle tone of the gallbladder --- making it sluggish, so to speak. All of these increase the risk of gallstones. In fact, people with stones that get into the common bile duct should be tested for hypothyroidism, as a significant percentage of them have undiagnosed hypothyroidism.

The relationship between ovarian cysts and hypothyroidism is related to the chemical structure of thyroid stimulating hormone, TSH, which is similar to the structure of human chorionic gonadotropin, HCG, which can be used to trigger ovulation. So elevated TSH, which occurs with hypothyroidism, can stimulate ovarian follicles and result in cyst formation. This is more likely to happen with very high levels of TSH, however.

Bottom line: ask the surgeon to order a TSH.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 8,409 times
I am 53 and was having pain and went into the ER to find that i have gall stones and a baseball size cyst on my Ovary and I am all ready taking a thyroid med for Hypothyroidism Does seem strange the Gall bladder started up shortly after my husband past away I was his caregiver for 4 yrs so I have been under stress to with my Grief . Seems to me the Gall stones would some how be related to the Cyst

Old 12-28-2012, 03:46 AM

2 posts, read 16,119 times
I had an ovarian cyst same year I started on synthroid, seems tied together.

Old 06-08-2016, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,038 times
I have a cyst on my ovaries and gall stone, my upper back aching and my left and right legs aching with pain in my knees also my left side keep having sharp pain. What's is going on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness