U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 01:16 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,901,167 times

Advertisements

I've taken Prilosec and Tagamet in the past, now on Prevacid. I was taking Carafate and my doc thought prevacid works better with it than the others. All worked on GERD, but then I got a stomach ulcer after surgery (not H. Pylori).
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM

3,858 posts, read 9,953,485 times
John, there is no special diet for ulcers. Years ago, it was recommended that people with ulcers eat a bland diet and drink milk or cream but newer research has shown that milk/cream actually increase acid production. Bland diets have fallen by the wayside. Most gastric ulcers are caused by the H. pylori bacteria. H. pylori can be tested by a blood test, specific breath test or by biopsy during an EGD.

Gastric ulcers are diagnosed by an EGD (esophageal gastroduodenoscopy). Treatment consists of a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) twice daily for 8 weeks. PPIs include Prilosec (omeprazole), Prevacid, Protonix, Aciphex, Zegerid, Nexium. A repeat EGD in 8 weeks is the standard of care to ensure healing of the ulcer and rule other more serious pathology.

It is extremely important to also avoid the following:
Aspirin, NSAIDS (motrin, ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve etc). They can cause ulcers and bleeding. Also avoid tobacco and alcohol as they can exacerbate an ulcer.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,901,167 times
personally, when I had my ulcer, not H.Pylori, anything acidic just plain hurt. I cut out OJ, oranges, pickles, mustard, etc.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:17 PM

31,491 posts, read 51,059,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
John, there is no special diet for ulcers. Years ago, it was recommended that people with ulcers eat a bland diet and drink milk or cream but newer research has shown that milk/cream actually increase acid production. Bland diets have fallen by the wayside. Most gastric ulcers are caused by the H. pylori bacteria. H. pylori can be tested by a blood test, specific breath test or by biopsy during an EGD.

Gastric ulcers are diagnosed by an EGD (esophageal gastroduodenoscopy). Treatment consists of a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) twice daily for 8 weeks. PPIs include Prilosec (omeprazole), Prevacid, Protonix, Aciphex, Zegerid, Nexium. A repeat EGD in 8 weeks is the standard of care to ensure healing of the ulcer and rule other more serious pathology.

It is extremely important to also avoid the following:
Aspirin, NSAIDS (motrin, ibuprofen, Advil, Aleve etc). They can cause ulcers and bleeding. Also avoid tobacco and alcohol as they can exacerbate an ulcer.
8-weeks?

I have been on a PPI [Prilosec -omeprazole] since 1997

Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 PM

28,625 posts, read 48,729,748 times
What about eating salads and now I'm drinking skim milk. Zero fats in skim milk. Someone that had a stomach ulcer told me to take Maalox at night because my Nexium wears off by nighttime. But the only problem is I'm on blood thinner which my doctor doesn't want me to take because if I was bleeding you cann't see it. It make the stool Black.

Thanks, John

Old 09-16-2010, 06:41 PM

31,491 posts, read 51,059,849 times
With mine, I needed to eat to absorb the acids.

I would be in bad pain until I ate bread, or really anything. I had to keep something in my stomach to keep my stomach from eating itself. Really my duodenum.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,167 times
Hi i had stomach ulcers since 14years old and i been getting pain on my stomach lower n side n back pain and i went couple time to the ER and clinic doctors and the tests comes all NORMAL but what i dont understand is why am i having pain stuff if the tests coming out normal ..thats scaring me ..i been taking acid reducer in the morning and night .plus i also have a small kidney stone last time i knew ..what should i do ..im  its nothing SERIOUS

Old 02-06-2018, 08:12 AM

74,866 posts, read 87,274,042 times
interesting this thread would suddenly re-appear after all these years? Now, all I can say is, both times I have been diagnosed with Ulcers my doctor has said eat anything that doesn't upset you. Yes, normally high acid may cause problems, but ulcers are not caused by what we eat.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:15 AM

74,866 posts, read 87,274,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susangarcia0143 View Post
Hi i had stomach ulcers since 14years old and i been getting pain on my stomach lower n side n back pain and i went couple time to the ER and clinic doctors and the tests comes all NORMAL but what i dont understand is why am i having pain stuff if the tests coming out normal ..thats scaring me ..i been taking acid reducer in the morning and night .plus i also have a small kidney stone last time i knew ..what should i do ..im  its nothing SERIOUS
What should you do, not worry for starters. I had a similar pain, many of us have a few years ago. I too, have had ulcers in the past. As my doctor explained after several tests, some pains just can't be identified, After she said that, for whatever reason I seemed better. I still have flare ups once in while, but I don't get worked up over them.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:57 AM

26,206 posts, read 9,851,342 times
I ended up with a stomach ulcer back in the 80's and it was from a anti inflammatory drug for lower back arthritis. I went to ER, they kept me there for a day and did a bunch of tests, the last was for ulcer and gave me tagamet, it was a script back then. I keep some in my drawer, but sure got off those pharma A.I. drugs and use digestive enzymes, probiotics and use a little baking soda in acidic stuff to keep in good place with stomach issues...good so far after all these years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness