Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 06:29 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,914,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
alley, I disagree with you. The op already told you that she had migraines but never had them that long. Well, guess what, migraines can change over time and for some they get worse and last longer. LOL, and Migraines rule over you, you don`t rule over them. They decide when they are coming and going. Being that you don`t get them much, you really don`t understand someone who lives with them on almost a daily bases... Going to different drs is not going to do much for someone who has migraines because there is no 100% when it comes to migraines. You only get them 2x a year so you really don`t get it and if yours were chronic, you would be a lot more humble than you are now.
My family has many sufferers - but they refuse to see a neurologist. Just put up with the horrible feeling often. I did have horrible migraines after that point but was lucky to have one of the top neurologists who is often an author of many migraine, cluster headache studies, etc. as my doctor who took the simple approach. I do not like being on medications and although it took a lot of effort to journalize each and every day, hour, meal, etc. I did find my triggers and once eliminated, I haven't had nearly the amount of problems I did have for those few years. Some of us just live in crappy parts of the country where we don't have access to good doctors. Frankly, if I lived in one of those areas, I would drive or fly to the major cities to find a different doctor. There is no way I would accept having headaches each and every day. No one should accept that without seeking more help. Regardless, I don't see why more people don't journal their days to help find the source and triggers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 08:01 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,966,597 times
Alley, you still don`t understand migraines because they really haven`t affected your life.Your families migraines are not like yours, obviously, and it`s not because of what your Dr has done to supposively help you. The reason why you don`t have that many is because that is just the way it is for you but it is not always this way for others. Migraines are a neurogical problem so they just don`t go away unless they go on their own. That`s great that you found your triggers but a lot of people who stay away from known triggers still get them.That`s because migraine disease is still a mystery. There is still so much about migraines that Drs don`t know. If migraines were curable then half of the population who got them would be cured already.

So the fact the you arrogantly keep assuming that if people just went to a neuro and did what you did, all would be well. This is not the case because everyone is an individual.A lot of people have been to different type of drs and they are still having major problems with them. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones that your migraines are somewhat under control for the time being. And I say for the time being because they have been known to come back with avengence.

Old 09-13-2010, 01:23 AM

894 posts, read 1,123,342 times
Seeing a neurologist isn't going to help. I have celiac disease. There's also a long history of migraine on my late Father's side of the family. I also have a sister that suffers from long duration cluster migraines as well. Mine seem to be brought on by severe weather.

If we're getting a lot of rain, or a lot of snow, I get a migraine sometimes 3-4 days ahead of the weather. Usually once that severe weather hits, the migraine breaks. There was a delay in the storm this time because high winds in the area pushed the storm away from us. Finally the rains hit last night, and my headache went away.

I live in an area where the elevation isn't that high above sea level, and therefore the barometric pressure seems to create greater headaches. I'm moving next summer to another state where it's at a much, much higher elevation and that should help wonders.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,025 times
Have you gone to hospital for testing? My husband's cousin has an unusual persistant headache and was immediately admitted to hospital where they found he had an an aneurysm

Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,417 times
DO NOT TAKE EXCEDRIN! I am currently working with my neurologist to find out a cure for my migraines
. She advised me to only take advil and only take it a maximum of three times a week. She told me to avoid excedrin at all costs because the caffeine will make your head feel better temporarily but also make the migraine twice as bad the next day when you start your caffeine withdrawal.

I have been on EVERY migraine drug/preventative and all I see that may work is...
Eat well. Exercise. And avoid caffeine!

Also, everyone is different but its nice to know what does and doesn't work for others. I hope you find relief!.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:02 AM

7 posts, read 5,014 times
How does one tactfully recommend to a family member who is in the throes of early diagnosis of migraine that they visit this site? And maybe get some alternative answers? I really hesitate to recommend this site, even though I see some very good suggestions, so would appreciate how others have reacted to family members suggestions on various cures and helps?

Old 11-08-2013, 05:24 AM

7 posts, read 5,014 times
I have to admit that if I had recommended this site to a family member and had that family member see the bizarre suggestions from Alley as to just go to another city, that family member would be right in saying that the site was worthless. I also think it is really important to couch our suggestions as SUGGESTIONS without being patronizing about them. This section particularly upset me. "Some of us just live in crappy parts of the country where we don't have access to good doctors. Frankly, if I lived in one of those areas, I would drive or fly to the major cities to find a different doctor. There is no way I would accept having headaches each and every day. No one should accept that without seeking more help. Regardless, I don't see why more people don't journal their days to help find the source and triggers."

I live in a very good city with lots of doctors all over the place, as does my son in law, a serious migraine sufferer…but neurologists are different, remedies for each one are different. It's nice to have the time to keep a journal, and I hope my son in law does…but I also hope he just finds what works for him.

I sincerely hope I don't have to read another post that seems to infer that those who don't follow their path are ill informed or worse. That makes it very hard to recommend this site to those who suffer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness