Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:24 AM

99 posts, read 252,917 times

Advertisements

I ran across something on the web yesterday about a surgery for migraines.

Innovative Treatment For Migraines Combines Botox And Surgery

American Migraine Center - Migraine Surgery Treatment Methods (http://www.americanmigrainecenter.com/treatment2.shtml - broken link)

That was about the extent of the info I was able to find by googling. Does anyone know anything else about this? Has anyone here tried this with any significant results? Does anyone know if there is anyone who performs this surgery anywhere near North Alabama (TN, GA, MS)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 12:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
I have read that botox works by paralyzing the blood vessals that throb so they can't expand.

I used to use 3-4 Immetrex injections per week until I started taking Feverfew. It's an herbal remedy easily available in both pill and liquid form (I think the liquid works best/fastest). The British journal of medicine, The Lancet, publishe 4 studies some years ago, double-blind placebo-controlled, that showed feverfew both reduced the severaty and frequency of migraines. There was one follow-up study that showed no efficacy but I think it was poorly designed and compared apples and oranges, so to speak. I had my last Immetrex injection about 7 yrs ago. You can take feverfew daily as a preventative or on the occasion as a rescue remedy once one starts. I took it for years as a preventative, now take it as a rescue rememdy.

It's much cheaper and safer than surgery! I checked it out w/my internist and got the OK to use it.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:15 PM

99 posts, read 252,917 times
Yeah, I'm not crazy about the idea of surgery, either. I was curious because I'd never heard of it before.

Are there any side effects of taking Feverfew? I remember it being on a long list of natural migraine cures I saw awhile back, but have yet to try it. I have not seen it around most of the supermarkets here, but I could check the health food store. It's worth a try! It's good to hear from someone who's had real results rather than just hearsay (which is what most of the sources I've seen for natural remedies have been).

Thanks for the tip!

Old 07-15-2009, 06:15 PM

No side effects that I ever saw. For the first years (started in 1995), I took it every day in the morning. You can take the liquid up to 5 times per day. Sometimes, when the weather was changing and I had the beginnings of a bad one, I'd take it 2 or 3 times/day, never needed more than the 3rd dose. Then for a couple of years I took it only when one was starting. Now, I rarely get a migraine, but I live in Utah where big thunderstorms are rare.

I read an artilce in the Smithsonian magazine that the electrical disturbance in the air around a thunderstorm could cause migraines. Certainly, about 15 min after it started raining and the thunder was gone, my mirgaine was also gone.

My regular grocery carries the HerbPharm brand, which has a liquid form of it mixed with Lavender. It is really bitter, don't mix it with milk. Best are colas, water, jouces.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:54 AM

481 posts, read 805,947 times
I am a retired acupressure therapist. I used to cure migraine problems beautifully by massaging the person's shoulder tops and neck. I even had a 75 year old man with lifetime migraines that required injections. After coming to me weekly for 8 weeks he no longer needed injections. He then came to see me every two weeks for maintenance. He couldn't believe how effective massage was!

I recommend you look around for a good experienced massage therapist in your area. Try several until you find one who gets the job done. Good luck!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:56 AM

Oh, and make sure you are drinking enough water. Being slightly dehydrated can trigger headaches!

Sometimes a cup of coffee helps too.

Stay away from surgery unless you are against the wall!!!!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
Oh, and make sure you are drinking enough water. Being slightly dehydrated can trigger headaches!

Sometimes a cup of coffee helps too.

Stay away from surgery unless you are against the wall!!!!
We're not talking about mere headaches. These are migraines, which are far, FAR worse than a headache.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
We're not talking about mere headaches. These are migraines, which are far, FAR worse than a headache.
Yeah, my migraines made me feel like I'd have to get better before I could die. If you've never had the pounding, throbbing, sick-making migraine, that can go on for a couple of days and all you can do is lie quietly in the dark, all doped up, you are so lucky!

Old 07-17-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I AM talking about severe migraines. I know the difference.

A good massage therapist can alleviate them. I did many times.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:00 PM

Here is a good article on the importance of water and salt on preventing Migraines. Hope it helps you!

Migraine Symptoms -- Prevent Them With Water And Salt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness