Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:12 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

This is a frightening statistic:

Deaths information for Pneumonia: The U.S. Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate nearly 90,000 people in the United States died from one of several kinds of pneumonia in 1999. (Source: excerpt from Pneumococcal Pneumonia, NIAID Fact Sheet: NIAID)

I am wondering since SO MANY PEOPLE die from this disease every year, how come "they" aren't doing research on how to stop it?

I realize that there is a pneumonia vaccine out there, but I believe that is only good for the bacterial version and not the viral.

Pneumonia is considered the 7th leading cause of death in this country. I am wondering why modern medicine, which has eradicated so many illnesses that have plagued mankind, cannot seem to put a dent in this disease.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:18 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
20yrsinBranson,

My guess is that in many instances the pneumonia could be a secondary complication of another more illness, but the pneumonia is what pushes them over the edge.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:20 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Age and recovery is a factor, too. Just because an infection is treated doesn't mean the patient will live. Pneumonia affects the lungs. My grandmother had hip surgery and died from Pneumonia. She was 89.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
There's and old saying that is very true. "Pneumonia is the Old Man's Friend."

Dying of many things, heart failure, cancer, stoke and many other dreadful conditions, can be slow and painful. Sometimes, in the case of some types of cancer, very painful. If the patient develops pneumonia, the end will come quickly and much more painfree.

Being bedridden to the point of not being able to get about, is another frequent cause of pneumonia. The lungs just don't function well when the patient can't get up and move about.

I am one of those people that thinks that Mother Nature knows what's best for her children. Pneumonia is one of her tools to ease our passing.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:25 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,350,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This is a frightening statistic:

Deaths information for Pneumonia: The U.S. Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate nearly 90,000 people in the United States died from one of several kinds of pneumonia in 1999. (Source: excerpt from Pneumococcal Pneumonia, NIAID Fact Sheet: NIAID)

I am wondering since SO MANY PEOPLE die from this disease every year, how come "they" aren't doing research on how to stop it?

I realize that there is a pneumonia vaccine out there, but I believe that is only good for the bacterial version and not the viral.

Pneumonia is considered the 7th leading cause of death in this country. I am wondering why modern medicine, which has eradicated so many illnesses that have plagued mankind, cannot seem to put a dent in this disease.

20yrsinBranson

My friend just recovered from pneumonia, and her doctor told her that they learned if you drink lots of water you will not get pneumonia. Keep hydrated.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:52 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
My friend just recovered from pneumonia, and her doctor told her that they learned if you drink lots of water you will not get pneumonia. Keep hydrated.
If only that were true...

Pneumonia is caused by a variety of organisms, bacterial, viral and atypical such as mycobacterium, fungi. Aspiration can lead to pneumonia as well as immobility, idiopathic pneumonia can occur where no infectious agent is even present.

There is no one cure for all the causes...and the underlying health of the individual with pneumonia determines the outcome in many cases.

You can't catch pneumonia from someone that has it, but any one can develop pneumonia given the right conditions and presence of an infectious agent that leads to inflammation and consolidation of the lungs.

Drinking lots of water is not going to prevent anyone from developing pneumonia...

Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
If only that were true...

Pneumonia is caused by a variety of organisms, bacterial, viral and atypical such as mycobacterium, fungi. Aspiration can lead to pneumonia as well as immobility, idiopathic pneumonia can occur where no infectious agent is even present.

There is no one cure for all the causes...and the underlying health of the individual with pneumonia determines the outcome in many cases.

You can't catch pneumonia from someone that has it, but any one can develop pneumonia given the right conditions and presence of an infectious agent that leads to inflammation and consolidation of the lungs.

Drinking lots of water is not going to prevent anyone from developing pneumonia...

Agree completely. The best the pneumonia vaccine will do for you is protect you against the most common form of pneumonia caused by ONE organism: Streptococcus pneumoniae. Pneumonia is a common sequela of influenza and and that's why preventing that viral infection through immunization is so strongly recommended.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:54 PM

350 posts, read 4,158,349 times
I had a severe case of pneumonia that left me hospitalized for weeks when I was a teen. I think part of the problem is that it can become quite advanced without the patient knowing that something major is wrong.

I had a bad case of the flu, which led to my pneumonia. I had every one of the classic pneumonia symptoms, including severe chest pain, shaking chills and high fever, but I thought the chest pain was muscle aches from the flu, and I thought the shaking chills and high fever were also from the flu. By the time I showed up in the ER, because I could barely breathe, my pneumonia was extremely advanced. I still have health effects to this day from a complication of the advanced pneumonia.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:28 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,180,644 times
This is a good example of what happens. If the above poster had died, the death would have been attributed to pneumonia, not flu.

The same thing happens with alcoholics. At some point they eat little food, preferring to drink. The cause of death is usually due to malnutrition, (that is, he starved to death) rather than the alcohol.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Pneumonia was the only time in my life that I was so sick that I got kind of scared. I had no idea that I had it until I finally went to the doc and got a lung x-ray. I got better right away, but I wonder if my lungs are still a bit compromised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness