U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 AM

7,369 posts, read 13,113,727 times

Advertisements

He's a grown man, let him live his own life. Maybe he has decided he doesn't like the side effects of bp medication - I know I don't - and would rather with the higher bp. It's a perfectly legit stance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 09:15 AM

25,312 posts, read 30,131,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
He's a grown man, let him live his own life. Maybe he has decided he doesn't like the side effects of bp medication - I know I don't - and would rather with the higher bp. It's a perfectly legit stance.

Do you have long term care insurance? Is someone in your family willing to provide you with care 24/7/365? He may be a grown man, but his decision could ruin his family's lives for a few years.

What side effects from BP medication are worse than a heart attack, a stroke, or kidney failure? Heart surgery and dialysis are no picnics!

Old 09-09-2010, 09:29 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,271,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Do you have long term care insurance? Is someone in your family willing to provide you with care 24/7/365? He may be a grown man, but his decision could ruin his family's lives for a few years.

What side effects from BP medication are worse than a heart attack, a stroke, or kidney failure? Heart surgery and dialysis are no picnics!

I was on BP medication and my pulse went up to 110, I was out of breath just walking across the room, I was tired and so dizzy I almost fainted. It may not affect everyone that way, but they do have side effects and I think thats why people stop taking them.

He's 75 years old, he probably doesn't want to deal with it.

They just put me on 10mg lisinpril and I am scared to take it! I can't blame him.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:

What an amazingly selfish way of viewing this.

BP medication side effects are no picnic. If he as a grown man does not want to deal with it, that is his decision to make.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:15 AM

39,172 posts, read 48,130,659 times
Tell him that blood pressure medication is cheap and safe- mine is $4.00 a month- A LOT cheaper than the nursing home will be after his stroke, and to quit acting like a child.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:51 AM

25,312 posts, read 30,131,458 times
Quote:
What an amazingly selfish way of viewing this.

BP medication side effects are no picnic. If he as a grown man does not want to deal with it, that is his decision to make.

I take BP medication and have no side effects whatsoever --- except a few additional trips to the bathroom in the morning as the diuretic kicks in. There is no guarantee that he will have side effects. He won't know until he tries it.

And I believe it is more selfish to not take the medication and make your family suffer the consequences, even if you are willing to accept the increased risk of heart attack, stroke, and renal failure for yourself.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,147,854 times
Having cared for two parents (my MIL and Mother) who have had strokes, I would tell him the decision is his but that I will only care for him if he cares for himself first. I have lost years of MY ADULT life caring for them because they did not. And that is NOT incredibly selfish!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I take BP medication and have no side effects whatsoever --- except a few additional trips to the bathroom in the morning as the diuretic kicks in. There is no guarantee that he will have side effects. He won't know until he tries it.

And I believe it is more selfish to not take the medication and make your family suffer the consequences, even if you are willing to accept the increased risk of heart attack, stroke, and renal failure for yourself.
But that's you. You can't speak about a person you have never even met - and even if you did meet him, I'd still say that's not a decision for you to make. He is a grown man who seemingly is of sound mind, so its his choice.

Being elderly doesn't mean your rights to make your own decisions should be automatically revoked.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:41 PM

9,412 posts, read 12,105,456 times
Quote:
But that's you. You can't speak about a person you have never even met - and even if you did meet him, I'd still say that's not a decision for you to make. He is a grown man who seemingly is of sound mind, so its his choice.

Being elderly doesn't mean your rights to make your own decisions should be automatically revoked.
I can't believe I'm agreeing with you on something but this time I completely agree with what you have stated

Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 PM

9,412 posts, read 12,105,456 times
And OP, not everyone with hypertension goes on to have problems just as not everyone who smokes gets lung cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness