U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:05 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,611,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
He's a grown man, let him live his own life. Maybe he has decided he doesn't like the side effects of bp medication - I know I don't - and would rather with the higher bp. It's a perfectly legit stance.
I'd take the side effects over the stroke or heart attack anyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 04:28 PM

48,509 posts, read 86,088,090 times
You need to discuss long term care with him as if he doesn't its likiely he may need it . I wouldn't however go by that reading. Controlling blood pressure if high is important.There is no comparison to smking and blood pressure really. But I have seen few who smoke regualrly not have truble with age .

Old 09-09-2010, 05:21 PM

25,153 posts, read 30,047,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
But that's you. You can't speak about a person you have never even met - and even if you did meet him, I'd still say that's not a decision for you to make. He is a grown man who seemingly is of sound mind, so its his choice.

Being elderly doesn't mean your rights to make your own decisions should be automatically revoked.
And you have met him? You appear to feel qualified to speak for him.

Sure, he has the right to make decisions for himself, but he should be informed of the benefits as well as the risks. And he should consider the effect of his decisions on the people that will be impacted by his choices. What if he has property that he would like for children and grandchildren to inherit? Would he want that to be sold to pay nursing home expenses? These are things he needs to consider before he blows off taking medication for an easily treatable condition.

OP needs to sit down with him and discuss these things. It would be a good idea for him also to execute a living will and make a decision about a medical power of attorney, so that if he has a stroke his family will know whether he wants a feeding tube or not.

I suspect you have never had to deal with a close family member who has had a severely disabling stroke. I have, and it is absolutely horrible.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:24 PM

15,678 posts, read 14,151,481 times
I am under the impression that there are quite a few different meds out there that control high blood pressure............if I was experiencing bad side effects..........I would want to try them all before I gave up.

I used to work with a guy whose wife had hard to control HBP. I remember him telling me that the med that came in a patch worked best for her.........but our insurance did not want to cover it.

I think he had to have her doctor contact the insurance company about it to get them to cover it.

Old 09-09-2010, 05:41 PM

9,412 posts, read 12,087,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
I was at Walmart with my 75 yr old father and he checked his Blood Pressure and it was 175/108 with pulse rate 53 BPM. He's in seemingly good physical shape having never smoked, doesn't drink and exercises including 10-15 mi riding a 10-speed at a fast pace without getting tired out. His diet is not real bad but the problem is he doesn't believe in doctors and refuses to see one or take mediation saying he's just ordered some natural remedy out of a Herbal catalogue. How concerned should I be?
It is HIS body, he can choose to do what he pleases and if it doesn't please him to follow traditional western medicine then so be it.

You can't force people to take drugs, this is not WWII Germany.

And it doesn't matter if some posters did not have side effects of medication and think a strong talk on strokes should do the trick. The bottom line is the OPs father has chosen not to see a Dr, as is his right as an adult.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:36 AM

460 posts, read 3,192,549 times
Thanks for the replies

I want to grab him by the ear twisting it to make him go to the doctors but I'm afraid he'll kick my ass

Seriously, my brother is a nurse and does home health care so I gave him the message and hoping he'll do the ear twisting

In the meantime we're going to pick up a blood pressure monitor and if his BP is consistently too high then we're going to get him to a docor. He's just really not into doctors but does go to them when he needs to and since he FEELS fine right now he's putting it off. So we're going to have to help him get there plus he hasn't had a regular check-up in like 20 yrs now.

Last edited by tripod; 09-10-2010 at 01:46 AM..

Old 09-10-2010, 01:55 AM

6,073 posts, read 5,502,324 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies

I want to grab him by the ear twisting it to make him go to the doctors but I'm afraid he'll kick my ass

Seriously, my brother is a nurse and does home health care so I gave him the message and hoping he'll do the ear twisting

In the meantime we're going to pick up a blood pressure monitor and if his BP is consistently too high then we're going to get him to a docor. He's just really not into doctors but does go to them when he needs to and since he FEELS fine right now he's putting it off. So we're going to have to help him get there plus he hasn't had a regular check-up in like 20 yrs now.
See if he is interested in starting to drink. A beer or glass of wine or two might be just the thing to get the readings in range--and studies show that moderate drinkers live longer.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:54 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,288,265 times
That BP reading is high enough to potentialy cause problems. It also may not be correct.
A cuff used 2 or 3 times a day would give a you a better idea of average BP.
Like others have said it is his body and his choice what he does with it.
But I would encourage anyone to get an annual checkup.
I was one of those that never went to a doctor unless I thought I was dying or in severe pain.
I had a CDL drivers license for years and had to get a DOT annual physical. It was mostly a farce and just drug testing and an eye test. Never any blood work or anything.
A few yrs after I retired I started having dizzy spells. Thought brain tumor, went to ER. Had all kind of tests. Turns out it was an inner ear infection.
But some things were found that were minor and can be controlled with medication to keep them from becoming major or at least slow down the process.
Now I go to the doc every 6 months for checkups. It is worth it just to know I am still in pretty good shape and my problems are staying stable. It's peace of mind.
Sorry for the long post but it seems to me that those of us who are older should get checkups at least yearly in case something shows up that can be controlled so we can be around a lot longer to tell the young'ns how good life was in the good old days. LOL

Old 09-10-2010, 03:32 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,259,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
That BP reading is high enough to potentialy cause problems. It also may not be correct.
A cuff used 2 or 3 times a day would give a you a better idea of average BP.
Like others have said it is his body and his choice what he does with it.
But I would encourage anyone to get an annual checkup.
I was one of those that never went to a doctor unless I thought I was dying or in severe pain.
I had a CDL drivers license for years and had to get a DOT annual physical. It was mostly a farce and just drug testing and an eye test. Never any blood work or anything.
A few yrs after I retired I started having dizzy spells. Thought brain tumor, went to ER. Had all kind of tests. Turns out it was an inner ear infection.
But some things were found that were minor and can be controlled with medication to keep them from becoming major or at least slow down the process.
Now I go to the doc every 6 months for checkups. It is worth it just to know I am still in pretty good shape and my problems are staying stable. It's peace of mind.
Sorry for the long post but it seems to me that those of us who are older should get checkups at least yearly in case something shows up that can be controlled so we can be around a lot longer to tell the young'ns how good life was in the good old days. LOL
That was a very intelligent read...if you don't mind my saying.

I'm afraid I've seen too many stuff ups with some nearest and dearest for me to have much faith the medical fraternity, biological and psychological {not me though}. In fact, I can pretty much do the same thing they do today, punch a few words into a computer and have it spit out some drug or other for him/her to write a script out for. I prefer the old method and ways of doctors...unfortunately, they don't exist anymore, so I'll take my chances with my own hand rather than be processed like a slab of meat passing through an abattoir.

Just another 'older' blokes point of view that's all, which is why I support that 'other' older gentleman in the OP's posting.

You made some really good points though, and I DO see where you are coming from.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:39 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,529,418 times
Quote:
I was at Walmart with my 75 yr old father and he checked his Blood Pressure and it was 175/108 with pulse rate 53 BPM. He's in seemingly good physical shape having never smoked, doesn't drink and exercises including 10-15 mi riding a 10-speed at a fast pace without getting tired out. His diet is not real bad but the problem is he doesn't believe in doctors and refuses to see one or take mediation saying he's just ordered some natural remedy out of a Herbal catalogue. How concerned should I be?
If he took that measurement after walking around in the store without sitting down for a few minutes to rest it might not be accurate. Your BP goes up a lot when you are doing physical activity. The fact his heart rate is low may suggest he has some chronically high BPs (as opposed to it being attributed to recent physical activity)... so I'd get him checked out by a doctor. You could prevent heart disease, vessel disease, kidney problems, or a hypertensive stroke...

that BP cuff may also be the wrong size for him or malfunctioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness