U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:56 PM

31,527 posts, read 51,136,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Agreed. I am particuarly concerned about the cross pollinization as I rent some land to a farmer for his crops but would like to do some more organically geared small scale food production for my own use as well as to take to farmer's market.
Many people are concerned about it.

But so far our concern is not changing much.

The world moves with who has the money. Corporations have lots of money, thus lots of lawyers. An army of lawyers can file motions all day long for years; whereas the few small and poor organics folks that I see have no money to be in court trying to change anything.

I think that movies like 'King Corn' and 'Food Inc' showing the link between GMO corn and diabetes, is beginning to have an effect in the market place.

Like with big tobacco, it took decades for the piling evidence of harm to make it's way into a court room.

But when consumers stop buying GMO junk, it does have an effect.

My SIL sent us some news articles from her regional newspapers, a private genetics lab received a big award for developing a GMO virus that kills the salmonella bacteria. They did it on contract for Foster Farms. I have a news article of the FDA approving it for use on Foster Farms chicken and cold cuts, without any label changes. The FDA does not consider spraying a live GMO virus onto cold cuts or chicken parts as being an actual 'additive'. Since it is only there to kill any salmonella.

So in many ways folks are consuming food with GMO in it, without knowing.

Quote:
... As to the salmon, I think this is particularly unwise given the havoc the asian carp is causing and their threat to the Great Lakes as well as our major rivers.
I agree.

But 'wise' does not hold up it court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 05:34 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,106,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
There is a method to their madness with all the GMO food.
They have found that lab animals become sterile in the 3rd generation!

I see this as a population reduction scheme.

If all this continues the planet will be denuded.
Maybe that is what happened to Mars.

As to the bad after taste in the chicken....it is there in the "natural" chickens too.
It seems that the FDA Requires that when the birds come to be ready to package, the MUST have a certain amount of Chlorine on them! I can tell you that it is not only on them it is IN them. They must soak the caracasses in the stuff. Beef and Pork also get a Citric Acid treatment. The fish you buy at the store also has been treated with either Chlorine of Citric Acid. The FDA gave the approval for this in the fall of 2008. I'm hypersensitive to all these things and am about out of things to eat.
I try to avoid a lot of info with this just because it ticks me off. But that really explains why the neighbors fresh kill chicken tasted the best. They kept chickens in the back yard and would get rid of the older girls for meat and use the eggs. I swear that all natural eggs have this sweet taste to them that just absolutely make you feel complete and full after a meal. All natural eggs make the best cookies too. It does something to the fluffiness.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:46 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,301,256 times
This will absolutely destroy the fishing markets when the tainted salmon breed with natural salmon. It might take a decade to wipe it out, but it will. The best way to fight this is to refuse to eat anything that is genetically modified. If the company just keeps losing money on it, they will be forced to stop the crapfest.

Me personally, I don't buy any meat anymore unless its organic. And even then, I only eat meat maybe once a month. I eat organic/home made everything I can get my hands on. I will never buy store fish ever again. Its absolute filth compared to catching it yourself in the ocean and eating it fresh. Fresh salmon, halibut, cod from the ocean makes a 50 dollar steak taste like five year old stale bread. There is no substitute for fresh food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness