U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:57 PM

234 posts, read 310,874 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]Pharmaceutical company Pfizer discloses payments to Pittsburgh-area doctors

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2010/04/12/story1.html?b=1271044800^3165011

Pull your head out of the sand. Putting your hands over your ears and screaming "lalalalalala" doesn't do anything but keep you ignorant.
[/LEFT]

Old 09-14-2010, 06:58 PM

Pharmaceutical company Pfizer discloses payments to Pittsburgh-area doctors

http://pittsburgh.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2010/04/12/story1.html?b=1271044800^3165011

Pull your head out of the sand. Putting your hands over your ears and screaming "lalalalalala" doesn't do anything but keep you ignorant.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:15 AM

848 posts, read 1,724,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
There are no kickbacks direct or indirect to influence drug prescribing.
ROFL - this is the funniest post I've read this morning !!! GOOD ONE!!

Pharmaceutical companies are no different that other large corporations who pander to executives.

While the drug samples, freebie goody bag type stuff, lunches/dinners may stop, those give-a-ways are only the visible trappings of a much deeper reward system.

Corporate townhouse/resort ownership in highly desirable vacation destinations is VERY COMMON. Of course, while those hush-hush type rewards are not made available to the common employee, they most definitely are offered to executives and doctors, and have been for decades.

There is no limit to the ways corporations get around the rules. To think otherwise is hopelessly naive.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:55 AM

5,333 posts, read 11,503,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
ROFL - this is the funniest post I've read this morning !!! GOOD ONE!!

Pharmaceutical companies are no different that other large corporations who pander to executives.

While the drug samples, freebie goody bag type stuff, lunches/dinners may stop, those give-a-ways are only the visible trappings of a much deeper reward system.

Corporate townhouse/resort ownership in highly desirable vacation destinations is VERY COMMON. Of course, while those hush-hush type rewards are not made available to the common employee, they most definitely are offered to executives and doctors, and have been for decades.

There is no limit to the ways corporations get around the rules. To think otherwise is hopelessly naive.
Really?? You have first hand knowledge of this how??

Do you provide the perks??

Have you received the perks??

I am a prescriber....I have NEVER received a "kickback" of any kind for writing a prescription nor have any colleagues that I am aware of.....

To think otherwise is hopelessly cynical and ultimately misinformed....

Old 09-15-2010, 11:00 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,219,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Really?? You have first hand knowledge of this how??

Do you provide the perks??

Have you received the perks??

I am a prescriber....I have NEVER received a "kickback" of any kind for writing a prescription nor have any colleagues that I am aware of.....

To think otherwise is hopelessly cynical and ultimately misinformed....
OK, really, you must know that it does happen. The companies get in trouble for this once in a while, and it's in the news.

I don't doubt that you, personally, don't receive those kickbacks, but you can't say that no one does. Don't take it personally, I don't think anyone is accusing you directly. It *is* a problem, and ignoring it does not help.

My sister was invited to a $250 a plate dinner a few years ago, put on and paid for by a drug company (she's a doctor). She did not go, because she felt it was unethical. I'm certain the company had plenty of people show up, however.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:04 PM

Yea, blue. This stuff is all over the news all the time. It's not like this is some surprise.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:22 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,070,324 times
Keep in mind that the pharmaceutical companies that give away these "kickbacks" also give doctors free sample that are worth billions of dollars nation-wide. I talked with one psychiatrist (he is the only one in his practice) who calculated that he gave his patients samples with a total "street value" of over $1 million in a single year. Yes, the drug companies do this as a marketing ploy, in hopes that the patient will take their drug. On the other hand, the patient benefits a great deal, especially if they are uninsured and in need of a medication that costs $600/month. These billions of dollars benefit patients directly. And I am not even adding in the value of Patient Assistance Programs that virturally all of the major pharmaceutical companies have.

The pharmaceutical companies in the United States are guilty of many of the sins of big corporations, but they do give back to the public.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:52 PM

12,622 posts, read 22,567,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Keep in mind that the pharmaceutical companies that give away these "kickbacks" also give doctors free sample that are worth billions of dollars nation-wide. I talked with one psychiatrist (he is the only one in his practice) who calculated that he gave his patients samples with a total "street value" of over $1 million in a single year. Yes, the drug companies do this as a marketing ploy, in hopes that the patient will take their drug. On the other hand, the patient benefits a great deal, especially if they are uninsured and in need of a medication that costs $600/month. These billions of dollars benefit patients directly.

The pharmaceutical companies in the United States are guilty of many of the sins of big corporations, but they do give back to the public.
I can see why a doctor would go with someone that offers a lot of samples because it benefits the patient. I have an ex-BIL that's a drug rep; wish I would have thought to have my son ask him Sunday when he saw him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
And I am not even adding in the value of Patient Assistance Programs that virturally all of the major pharmaceutical companies have.
The problem with patient assistance is that it is highly flawed.
Take me; I have chronic pain; can't use cheaper generics because it's like taking tylenol. I have 2 prescription insurances, one stopped covering my main meds that they used to cover; they want me to appeal & jump through hoops. Problem was my hub was diagnosed with cancer & I didn't have time. I get maxed out by August with my main which is where I'm at today. I looked into assistance; it's mostly for people with no insurance and the better brands don't even offer it. I think out of 5 or 6 meds, 2 do. I am able to get coupons for a few things though.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:45 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,381,028 times
I'm glad to know that the abuses of the physician/pharmaceutical industry are being cleaned up. Now if only the IRS would do its part and disallow the advertising of drugs as a deductible expense. The pharmaceutical industry spends billions of $$$ every year advertising their products and this is the primary reason drugs are so expensive in this country. You can't turn on the TV or open a magazine without finding an advert for drugs. Some European countries do not allow the marketing of drugs directly to consumers. We should do the same and the cost of medications would come down.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:46 PM

25,275 posts, read 30,114,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray34iyf View Post
[LEFT]Pharmaceutical company Pfizer discloses payments to Pittsburgh-area doctors

[/LEFT]
Actually, the article refers to doctors in research institutions being paid for conducting educational sessions for other doctors, not to doctors being paid to prescribe medications. There is a difference. The doctors doing the teaching may also receive research grants, and that is where the potential for bias comes into play. As far as I am concerned, the better way to do it is to pay doctors who are not involved in research to do the teaching, and I see no ethical problem problem with paying them to do it or to attend seminars in which they learn about new products. Otherwise, the only way to learn about new products is from drug reps, few of which are doctors.

Pharm companies do not pay doctors to prescribe their medications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness