Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,169,437 times

Advertisements

I have a blocked salivary duct. A big lump under my rt ear and jawbone because the gland produces saliva but it can't go anywhere.
The docs say it could be an infection or a stone in the saliva duct.
I am on antibiotics.
It sure does hurt and I can't eat because chewing makes the jawbone rub against the swollen gland and makes thngs much worse.
Anybody had any experience with this as far as treatment, length of the problem, etc.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks for any replies.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Not exactly the same but I had a blocked gland under my tongue. My ENT made a small incision and pushed out the stone (some calcification thingy). I felt fine immediately. I had had an unpleasantly tingling in the area for a week.

Maybe an x-ray could determine what is in there?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:14 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I have a blocked salivary duct. A big lump under my rt ear and jawbone because the gland produces saliva but it can't go anywhere.
The docs say it could be an infection or a stone in the saliva duct.
I am on antibiotics.
It sure does hurt and I can't eat because chewing makes the jawbone rub against the swollen gland and makes thngs much worse.
Anybody had any experience with this as far as treatment, length of the problem, etc.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks for any replies.
When you say doctor do you mean family or ear, nose, throat?
If you mean family, get to an ENT and have them look at it. If you are by the James hospital; I would pick an ENT there.

oral / head & neck cancer is getting really common. My hubs was diagnosed because of what looked like a swollen gland. The cancer was in his tonsil, a mass in his neck & lymph nodes.

They need to do an ultrasound.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
When you say doctor do you mean family or ear, nose, throat?
If you mean family, get to an ENT and have them look at it. If you are by the James hospital; I would pick an ENT there.

oral / head & neck cancer is getting really common. My hubs was diagnosed because of what looked like a swollen gland. The cancer was in his tonsil, a mass in his neck & lymph nodes.

They need to do an ultrasound.
It was an ER doc.
But you are right. If things stay the same or get worse I will go to an ENT.
But it does seem to be getting better each day.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:35 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
It was an ER doc.
But you are right. If things stay the same or get worse I will go to an ENT.
But it does seem to be getting better each day.
I wouldn't wait. What if the ER Dr is wrong?
I just made an ENT appointment for myself - 3 week wait.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:36 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
I had the same in 2004.

The doctor thought it was an infected tooth at first.

It turned out to be a stone blocking a saliva gland.

They did cancer tests........negative.

I had surgery and all went well. The surgical scar is barely noticeable when I shave.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:10 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,606,369 times
Interestingly, four of my kids and myself had this over the summer. It turned out to be some weirdo bacteria that for some reason wanted to lodge in the salivary glands. It was very painful, too!

I agree that if it doesn't get better, you should follow up, but if the antibiotics are working, I personally would feel fine about letting it resolve that way.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Not exactly the same but I had a blocked gland under my tongue. My ENT made a small incision and pushed out the stone (some calcification thingy). I felt fine immediately. I had had an unpleasantly tingling in the area for a week.

Maybe an x-ray could determine what is in there?
i had pretty much the same thing in the summer of 2006 .... but the dr did not even have to make an incision, the stone was so close to the surface.... he was just able to get it out with some sort of tool .... and fortunately, there were no others behind it..... went from being VERY uncomfortable to VERY relieved immediately.... although i can still feel the spot on the floor of my mouth where it was......

a friend told me her doctor told her to suck on lemon drops as this will quite often dislodge the stone.....

whatever you do, hope you are better sooner than later....

Old 09-16-2010, 11:11 PM

Thanks for all the replies. The antibiotics seem to be taking care of things at the moment.
If it doesn't keep improving or if I ever have this again it will be an ENT that I will go to first.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:18 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
I was going to recommend lost of ginger and/or garlic, but I'm not licensed to prescribe medication in the state of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness