U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,538,014 times

Advertisements

All of this is true. I have a relative that just went to jail for 10 months for meth. I pray that will be long enough and that he gets help. And I will pray for all families that have been touched by this vile drug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 03:03 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,965,400 times
Thank you all for being the firearm police. He is NOT getting to it where I have it. If you saw where I put it, you would agree, but as usual, some can't see the forest through the trees. Unless my son can bring in a ladder from the garage or learn to fly, he is not getting to it.

Oh and thanks to those who think I am making all this up, or at least insinuated as much. I really wish it was a "story".

Old 09-15-2010, 03:12 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,219,987 times
These stories are terrifying and horribly sad. I'm so sorry for those who have to live through it.

I do not have personal experience with meth, thank goodness, and I honestly didn't realize how and why it is so much worse than other drugs. That explanation of how it affects the brain was interesting, and helps me understand a bit.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:39 PM

12,630 posts, read 18,572,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
My half-brother that lives a quarter mile up the street from me is in a massive meth addiction with his wife. I have never set foot in their home, nor will I ever, but my mother has and she says homeless people live in cleaner environments. Anywho, here is the story:

My brother met this woman back in 2000 at a job they worked at together. She had already had two kids with two different guys, but apparently that didn't bother my brother. She ended up pregnant and all throughout the pregnancy did drugs. My niece was born in 2001 and has a major heart condition, including a small hole in her heart. Well my brother and his wife were big church-goers during the first few years of her life and they fell back off the wagon and now they are at the bottom. About a year ago, my brother got fired from his job and since then, him and his wife sit home and get messed up all day long. They sleep 18 hours of the day. When they are awake, they harass my mom, his neighbors and me for money. $10 here, $20 there. I have never given him a dime. My mom on the other hand tried to be nice and they pounced on her. Making threats, harassing her to the point of a nervous breakdown. Calls at all times of the day for money because they needed a fix. I am to the point where I am afraid they will try and break into my home to steal stuff to sell or rob us of any cash we have. I now keep my firearm loaded, and out on top of my dresser in the bedroom. It was put away for safety because we have a 3 year old. He can't reach it, but I can if needed. Anyway, from what I hear, meth addicts will rob their own family before anyone else. I really hope and pray they don't test me on this.

Anyway, everything came to a head on Saturday night. Apparently one of the kids (the 12 y/o boy) ran away. My brother and his wife called the cops and the search was on. They turned the neighborhood upside down until 2 am. They found the boy walking in town, some 6 miles from his house. That's when the boy let everything out about EVERYTHING that goes on in that house. Well today the state came in a took custody of all three kids. My niece will go live with my mom and the other two with their dad's. When they told my brother, he flipped out, making threats against everyone, so bad that the social worker had to call the cops in because she felt threatened. They both refused to take a drug test yesterday, but they claim to not be on drugs.

The sad part to all of this is that they don't care about the kids being gone. They care about the food stamps that will be gone and the SSI checks that will be gone. How you can get that low in your life, I dunno, but I can tell you for certain and I mean this, my brother is better off dead. He looks, acts, speaks NOTHING like the human being he used to be. Sure, he did a little weed a long time ago and that's ok to me, but this is on a higher level of insanity. And when I tell my mom that he is better off dead, she doesn't disagree with me. THAT is what meth does to families. If you know someone in your family that has started dabbling in meth, STOP them now!!! I can tell you that it will only get worse. And sadly, our situation here will only get worse. Somehow I don't feel like this is rock bottom. Dead, jail or clean. That's all he has left for options. At this point, I will take any of the three.
A family member should have looked out for those poor kids and called CPS on the parents! Just living in the home is a Bio-hazard environment if they were making it in their home. HOw sad that the adults around these kids did nothing to protect them.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:53 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,855,131 times
That is very sad. I have a brother who used to be hooked on meth and a sister who currently is hooked. Its been very hard for our family. My sisters children live with me. My sister thinks nothing is wrong with her lifestyle and is mad that we kept calling the cops and cps to report what was happening. Finally the children were removed from the home. It was really hard to get the authorities to listen and act.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:34 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,965,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthesierras View Post
It was really hard to get the authorities to listen and act.

BINGO!!! We have a winner!!!

My mom called CPS and the police numerous times and they basically gave her the runaround about how they would have to almost catch them in the act. THEY have to be the one's to screw up and trust me, they WILL screw up eventually. When their son ran away, he had no problem telling authorities exactly how it was in the house. THEN the cops and CPS listened. Now they will be focused on that house forever. It's next to impossible for the cops to listen to a third party, at least around here.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:43 PM

7,580 posts, read 12,191,190 times
I had a "relationship" with meth - that is what I call it - when in my teens, and I can tell you it is the most gripping addiction among hard drugs, imo. As has been stated, there is nothing off limits to attain, create, and prolong a rush among addicts, and the desperation it leaves in its wake is second to none.

I remember being taught to use an OTC product used for clearing sinuses (shaped like a Chapstick) and breaking it open to find a cotton filter-like piece that, when putting half of it in one's mouth, would give the user a high that would last ~18 hours - from something sold over the counter everywhere.

It's discoveries like this that show just how desperate one can be.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:15 PM

331 posts, read 905,366 times
Another former lover of that drug here. Been in recovery for 4 proud years.
While I think it's a little harsh to think "if you come near my house, you less-than-perfect human being, I will shoot you in the face," I understand your feeling of insecurity about having a tweaker in your family. However, I wouldn't assume that he is going to rob you and your family. He's asked you for money, and you said no. The fact that your family continues to say no, and that their children are now out of that environment, are the important pieces. The next step is to be available to offer the support he and his wife needs if they're ever willing to let the drug go. Half of my family abandoned me when they came to learn that I was an addict, even when I asked for help (to get off the drug, never monetary help). Now that I've rebuilt my life, have a nice fulfilling career and am in recovery, they want to be a part of my life again. No thanks; I've got friends and some family that love me unconditionally. I view the rest as scum, just as they viewed me when I was 'on.' Sometimes it can be a little lonely knowing most of my family loves me as long as I am doing well, but it let me learn a lot about the conditions in which they'll love someone. Please, be there for your family.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:17 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,855,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
Another former lover of that drug here. Been in recovery for 4 proud years.
While I think it's a little harsh to think "if you come near my house, you less-than-perfect human being, I will shoot you in the face," I understand your feeling of insecurity about having a tweaker in your family. However, I wouldn't assume that he is going to rob you and your family. He's asked you for money, and you said no. The fact that your family continues to say no, and that their children are now out of that environment, are the important pieces. The next step is to be available to offer the support he and his wife needs if they're ever willing to let the drug go. Half of my family abandoned me when they came to learn that I was an addict, even when I asked for help (to get off the drug, never monetary help). Now that I've rebuilt my life, have a nice fulfilling career and am in recovery, they want to be a part of my life again. No thanks; I've got friends and some family that love me unconditionally. I view the rest as scum, just as they viewed me when I was 'on.' Sometimes it can be a little lonely knowing most of my family loves me as long as I am doing well, but it let me learn a lot about the conditions in which they'll love someone. Please, be there for your family.
I can understand your point of view. My sister and I just recently started speaking after 5 years. My husband is an officer with the DOC in CA. My sister brought a 2 time convicted felon that is a Mexican gang member to my home. That is when I called it quits. The gang that guy is in has a standing order to kill officers. She was tweaking and did not care who she brought around. Every offer of help I extended before that incident was met with laughter. She posted really mean things about me on facebook after I forced my parents to open their eyes and realize she had a drug problem. It was a two for one deal, they realized both my brother and sister were addicts and then acted like nothing was happening. I need to stop typing before I get too upset.

I am glad you got your life back. I know it wasn't easy.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:34 AM

9,986 posts, read 17,901,013 times
Yikes, these stories are really sad--it's an evil substance that has destroyed many lives. I will never understand how anyone could start doing it in the first place, but they do all the time. One ray of hope: I've known several people who've gotten off of it and have gone on to lead respectable lives--one is now a pastor. He said that the most overwhelming feeling that he had when he got arrested was relief b/c he knew that now he might be able to get help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness