U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 07:12 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,965,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
Another former lover of that drug here. Been in recovery for 4 proud years.
While I think it's a little harsh to think "if you come near my house, you less-than-perfect human being, I will shoot you in the face," I understand your feeling of insecurity about having a tweaker in your family. However, I wouldn't assume that he is going to rob you and your family. He's asked you for money, and you said no. The fact that your family continues to say no, and that their children are now out of that environment, are the important pieces. The next step is to be available to offer the support he and his wife needs if they're ever willing to let the drug go. Half of my family abandoned me when they came to learn that I was an addict, even when I asked for help (to get off the drug, never monetary help). Now that I've rebuilt my life, have a nice fulfilling career and am in recovery, they want to be a part of my life again. No thanks; I've got friends and some family that love me unconditionally. I view the rest as scum, just as they viewed me when I was 'on.' Sometimes it can be a little lonely knowing most of my family loves me as long as I am doing well, but it let me learn a lot about the conditions in which they'll love someone. Please, be there for your family.
The state of KY will give them the help they need. Trust is my major issue with them. I cannot trust either of them. I can't trust they won't hurt me or my family. I can't trust them to tell me the sky is blue. This has not happened overnight. They have slowly eroded any trust, sympathy, etc over the years that we have shown them. There is no compassion left. There will be no support from us or even our mom. In fact, they aren't allowed contact with any of us. They have picked everyone clean of love and compassion. There is NOTHING left. The state will make it simple for them. Either get straight or never see your kids again. We will not be there to back them up. They have killed that emotion for us. Will that change in the future? Who knows, but it won't be anytime soon.

If that makes us bad people...so be it. I have my family, the one under this roof and my mom and nieces to worry about. My brother and his wife are the one's with the problem and THEY need to sort it out. THEY didn't consort with us when they were on their way to destruction. I can't take the abuse that has gone on from them for years now and shift gears and instantly still love them like nothing has happened. And as sad as it sounds, if years from now they are clean and they say, "you turned your back on us when we needed help", I will say BULL!!! It is THEY who turned their back on their family. They have done things to our family that is unforgivable. The only thing I regret is the state not getting involved sooner. However, when they won't listen, what can you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
At this time im sitting here trying to figure out a way to help my 24 yr old daughter,she is a meth addict.she has 3 kids,very young,all of witch have been taken from her by our family,last night my daughters mother in law went in her house & found Tristany,her 5mth daughter soaking wet & freezing,Tyler her 5yr old son running around the house uncontrolled & unsupervised,the house was extremely cold because she was tweaking & didn't think to turn on the heat in the house.it's hard to say how long she had been up,judging by the way she looked & the mess in her house anywhere from 5 to 9 days,everyone in our family has been trying to help her but no one has been successful,she has been a meth user the past 6 yrs,I can't bring her to my house because she has outrageous & destructive fits,she would steel everything she could get her hands on,4 yrs ago while i was at work she broke in my home & stole my TV ,my dvd player,cash out of my dresser,& a $300 dollar leather coat,i had to find her dealer & buy back my stuff.I was left no choice but to install a burglar alarm system & lock all the dead bolts in the house when im not home,I've read that the life expectancy of a meth user is 5yrs,she has passed that mark,I fear that my daughter may die from this horrible drug.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:57 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,604,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
If they're sleeping 18 hours a day, they ain't doing meth...
Of course they are. You can only tweek for so long and then you crash. It's not at all uncommon for meth-heads to sleep that long or longer.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:19 PM

7,369 posts, read 13,115,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lawler View Post
At this time im sitting here trying to figure out a way to help my 24 yr old daughter,she is a meth addict.she has 3 kids,very young,all of witch have been taken from her by our family,last night my daughters mother in law went in her house & found Tristany,her 5mth daughter soaking wet & freezing,Tyler her 5yr old son running around the house uncontrolled & unsupervised,the house was extremely cold because she was tweaking & didn't think to turn on the heat in the house.it's hard to say how long she had been up,judging by the way she looked & the mess in her house anywhere from 5 to 9 days,everyone in our family has been trying to help her but no one has been successful,she has been a meth user the past 6 yrs,I can't bring her to my house because she has outrageous & destructive fits,she would steel everything she could get her hands on,4 yrs ago while i was at work she broke in my home & stole my TV ,my dvd player,cash out of my dresser,& a $300 dollar leather coat,i had to find her dealer & buy back my stuff.I was left no choice but to install a burglar alarm system & lock all the dead bolts in the house when im not home,I've read that the life expectancy of a meth user is 5yrs,she has passed that mark,I fear that my daughter may die from this horrible drug.
I am sorry for what you are going through. May I suggest you read this book: Amazon.com: Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction (9780618683352): David Sheff: Books

which will give you some insights, comfort and show you that you are not alone. I have given this book to someone in your position; she told me it helped immensely.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 PM

331 posts, read 905,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lawler View Post
At this time im sitting here trying to figure out a way to help my 24 yr old daughter,she is a meth addict.
The only way to help a meth addict is to be there for her if / when she decides to quit and needs help. When you're on meth, you don't feel emotions the same as a non-user does. You feel either high, or coming down. Guilt trips lead to frustration and anger, and interventions lead to a lack of trust. The best you can do is to let her understand that you know she uses the drug, that you still love her, and that you'll be there for her if she decides to quit. There is no way to stop her from using.

If someone is sleeping 18 hours a day, unless it's in short bursts (a few days at a time, every week or two), they are not using meth. Or, at least, they are not using heavily. If someone is 'sleeping' 18 hours a day for weeks on end, it sounds more like opiates / heroin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness