U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 04:36 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,960,333 times

Advertisements

My half-brother that lives a quarter mile up the street from me is in a massive meth addiction with his wife. I have never set foot in their home, nor will I ever, but my mother has and she says homeless people live in cleaner environments. Anywho, here is the story:

My brother met this woman back in 2000 at a job they worked at together. She had already had two kids with two different guys, but apparently that didn't bother my brother. She ended up pregnant and all throughout the pregnancy did drugs. My niece was born in 2001 and has a major heart condition, including a small hole in her heart. Well my brother and his wife were big church-goers during the first few years of her life and they fell back off the wagon and now they are at the bottom. About a year ago, my brother got fired from his job and since then, him and his wife sit home and get messed up all day long. They sleep 18 hours of the day. When they are awake, they harass my mom, his neighbors and me for money. $10 here, $20 there. I have never given him a dime. My mom on the other hand tried to be nice and they pounced on her. Making threats, harassing her to the point of a nervous breakdown. Calls at all times of the day for money because they needed a fix. I am to the point where I am afraid they will try and break into my home to steal stuff to sell or rob us of any cash we have. I now keep my firearm loaded, and out on top of my dresser in the bedroom. It was put away for safety because we have a 3 year old. He can't reach it, but I can if needed. Anyway, from what I hear, meth addicts will rob their own family before anyone else. I really hope and pray they don't test me on this.

Anyway, everything came to a head on Saturday night. Apparently one of the kids (the 12 y/o boy) ran away. My brother and his wife called the cops and the search was on. They turned the neighborhood upside down until 2 am. They found the boy walking in town, some 6 miles from his house. That's when the boy let everything out about EVERYTHING that goes on in that house. Well today the state came in a took custody of all three kids. My niece will go live with my mom and the other two with their dad's. When they told my brother, he flipped out, making threats against everyone, so bad that the social worker had to call the cops in because she felt threatened. They both refused to take a drug test yesterday, but they claim to not be on drugs.

The sad part to all of this is that they don't care about the kids being gone. They care about the food stamps that will be gone and the SSI checks that will be gone. How you can get that low in your life, I dunno, but I can tell you for certain and I mean this, my brother is better off dead. He looks, acts, speaks NOTHING like the human being he used to be. Sure, he did a little weed a long time ago and that's ok to me, but this is on a higher level of insanity. And when I tell my mom that he is better off dead, she doesn't disagree with me. THAT is what meth does to families. If you know someone in your family that has started dabbling in meth, STOP them now!!! I can tell you that it will only get worse. And sadly, our situation here will only get worse. Somehow I don't feel like this is rock bottom. Dead, jail or clean. That's all he has left for options. At this point, I will take any of the three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 04:59 PM

12,983 posts, read 13,102,897 times
First of all, unless your 3 year old is missing both arms and both legs, do NOT assume that he can't get to that weapon. Second, addicts always steal from their family first, it's easy access. There's nothing you can do to help the, like you said, dead, jail or clean, if they keep it up, they'll be dead. But you need to keep an eye on your mom once she gets the little girl. Junkies can be very persuasive.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 4,169 times
My father was hooked on Meth most of my life. I think one of the best things that my mother did was get us away from that atmosphere for most of my life as well. However I did have the experience of 'trying it out' when I was around 9 years old. This trying it out doesn't mean meth, i'd never do that. It means trying to live with my father. So we moved there with him and 'tried it out'. He was ok for a while, was recently 'cleaned up' because he just finished a 4 year stretch in the state correctional facility for possession. (One of many by now). We were about 2 years into our 'trying it out' when he came home the first time with a beer. For most people a beer here and there isn't so bad. I don't drink myself but many people do and they can function quite well in society. However, my father's personality is a little more addictive I think than most. His one beer turned to a few, his few turned into the first thing he thought about in the morning. His addiction turned into stabilization and requirement for something more 'interesting'. Some 'old' friends stopped by. They stayed a while. I woke up at 3am to go to the bathroom, they were still staying a while. They were noisy all the time. They manufactured it in our kitchen from everyday things you can buy from the pharmacy. A 1 day visit turned into a 1 day happy visit, a 2nd day of going nuts because they were tired, but couldn't sleep, and felt incredibly bored. The 3rd days were the worst. Tired, angry, bored, haven't eaten for the three days, still awake, and have nothing else to do. Paint the wall, break the door down, burn something, beat each other. Go on a mission. They were absolutely insane. Then, peace. Sleeping for what seemed like days. The best times were when they were starting. Excited about going to the store to buy supplies. The worst times were at the end of it. They call it 'tweaking'. Fiddling with something because you have nothing else to do but all the energy to do it. Insanity. Of course none of them ever read a book.

One of the ingredients of the production of meth is hydrochloric acid. Once, hydrochloric acid was boiling in the microwave and the microwave blew up. My father wasn't injured but the man with him didn't feel or look very good after that.

When there is no pot, and is not meth, they often turned to paint and glue.

After my father ripped out the spark plug wires of my mother's car he told me and my sister to get into his truck. On the highway a few hours from our house a police car u-turns and starts after us. He drives his old chevy into a corn field where the police car can't follow but it circles around and we see it coming around so he decides to go into the field further and try to come out completely on the other side. There was a 4ft water channel in the middle and he stops. "Think I can make it?" I smile and turn to him. "Yes!" A 11 year old boy who watches monster trucks on tv.. of course I'm going to say yes. He backs up a little and hits the gas with a southern "woohoo!". We didn't make it. My head hit the window. His face hit the steering wheel. My sister was strapped into her car seat and she was crying. A couple of minutes later he grabs my sister and tells me to 'come on'.. 'come on'.. We start running through the corn field. By then there were 5 or 6 police cars and they were circling and running through the field, shotguns and pistols out and they get him cornered. As he hugs my sister between the guns pointed at him and himself he yells, "shoot me, shoot me mother fkkdkd" They don't of course. They grab him and get my sister away. I just stood and watched. Cried. As much as I feared that man you can imagine how I almost smiled when 6 armed officers 'retained' him with force. That was the last I saw of him.

I once wrote a paper on the effect of meth on the human mind because I had questions. Of course I had questions. Why was he like that? Why haven't I seen him but 3 years of my entire life? How can he forget me? I have my own son and I can't even imagine putting him through anything like that. Well, to make a long story short, the psychological effects of meth are something like this. Let's say my father began taking meth when he was 17 years old. Which I believe is an accurate assumption. The brain may take up to 4 years to 'heal' from moderate meth usage, which being as addictive as it is, moderate is almost a joke. Let's say that when he was in jail (3 times now for longer than 3 years (4,5,3). So that means if he was 40 years old when I met him when I re-met him when I was 9, he was all but 19 years old. A 19-year-old 40-year old man. Here's why. The effects of using meth are very simple on the brain. It stops developing. It doesn't process your daily activities in the same way as a normal mind because it stops part of REM sleeping process that is used to store and 'learn' from experience. If today he used meth and he 'learned' a new skill in a chess game. Then next week we played the same game with the pieces in the exact same position and asked him what to do, he would take his best guess just as if nobody had ever taught him anything. Another part of using meth is the addictive power it has. When a person is on meth they feel as if they are in control and have a relationship with the entire universe that is personal to them. Their thoughts are vivid and in control. They fear nothing unless attacked with paranoid dillusions. They do not consider consequences of their actions. They have nothing to lose because the world is on their side. When you tell him he has a problem, he's more likely to laugh at you than anything else.

So, when kentuckydad says he is afraid. He should be. When kentuckydad says he's afraid for his mother, and afraid for his family. He should be. If I were you and he still lives close to you. I'd make sure to do everything I could to help change that situation. It may be too drastic to move away yourself but you don't want your family around any trouble like that. It's not just the trouble. It's the insanity of them and those that they infect. Yes I said infect. Affect is true too, but infect is a better word. Call the police as often as needed. Tell his neighbors, your neighbors. Go to neighborhood watch meetings, town meetings, let it be known that the problem is there and that the community needs to do something about it. Half brother or not while he's taking those drugs, he will disregard anything you put in front of him and he is extremely dangerous.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:13 AM

31,500 posts, read 34,751,714 times
Wow. Such raw, personal stories you guys. Although I have never had to deal with meth you both make it very real. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 AM

16,615 posts, read 34,671,379 times
If they're sleeping 18 hours a day, they ain't doing meth...

Old 09-15-2010, 05:35 AM

3,790 posts, read 7,960,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Let me add the drinking, the weed and the pain pills. Those are what I know of. There may be more.

The police and the neighbors now everything about them, especially after last sat night. I know of one that helped child services, giving them info on some of the things that goes on there.

The latest news is my brother said he wants to go to rehab. His wife, the dumbass, says she is not sure what she wants to do yet. I got news for her, she has NO choice. I take that back, she has a choice. She can choose to stay on course and never see her kids again. Right now my brother is agreeing to rehab because he needs that SSI check and food stamps. He thinks if he goes to rehab, they will bring the kids back ASAP. Guess what? Even if they both toe the line, it will be over a year before those kids go back there to live.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:28 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,683,446 times
My brother is a police officer and he explained it to me like this;

"when on drugs, the person has NO family, NO friends, and NO one is safe! If ANYone comes between them and their drug, they have NO feelings for anyone, their whole focus and life is about getting that next "hit" and will do WHATEVER it takes to get that next "hit". The drug controls them, their thinking and it is all they can see, think about, care about... and anyone who comes in between them and that drug is only a object to be delt with to get what that next "hit"...

As someone else said, unless your 3 year old has no arms and legs.. he CAN get that gun if he wants to and you are crazy if you don't believe that. PUT THAT GUN AWAY.... in a locked box or something where there is no way he can get his hands on it! I am guessing that you are inexperienced with children or you would know NOTHING is out of reach to a child that wants to see it, feel it or just hold it. I know my own got into things that totally baffled me how they could even get to the things they got into.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:29 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,468,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yeah that was my thought

Old 09-15-2010, 02:34 PM

7,369 posts, read 13,100,335 times
I think he means they sleep for 18+ hours after a drug binge, which I've heard is quite common.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:54 PM

1,256 posts, read 3,068,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
My brother is a police officer and he explained it to me like this;

"when on drugs, the person has NO family, NO friends, and NO one is safe! If ANYone comes between them and their drug, they have NO feelings for anyone, their whole focus and life is about getting that next "hit" and will do WHATEVER it takes to get that next "hit". The drug controls them, their thinking and it is all they can see, think about, care about... and anyone who comes in between them and that drug is only a object to be delt with to get what that next "hit"...
Good point. I hope the State has already prohibited the parents from having unsupervised or unscheduled contact with the children. If not, I would talk to the Case Manager or an attorney about making this happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness