U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-19-2010, 05:28 PM
 
132 posts, read 392,168 times
Reputation: 87

Advertisements

Doctor wrote out prescription for the medicine that I needed and the pharmacy gave me the generic version. I have been taking the generic for three days and I am jittery and can't sit still. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
25,153 posts, read 30,047,716 times
Reputation: 31269
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCBGirl View Post
Doctor wrote out prescription for the medicine that I needed and the pharmacy gave me the generic version. I have been taking the generic for three days and I am jittery and can't sit still. Any advice?

What is the name of the medication?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,662 posts, read 76,357,401 times
Reputation: 36232
All medications have side effects, and the name-brand might have made you feel the same way.

Generics may differ from the name brand in quality control, which means there might be slightly less or more of the active ingredient in your pill. But considering that some people weigh 260 and some weigh 130 and are prescribed exactly the same dosage to be metabolized, dosages are not an exact science. The active ingredient is chemically identical. The name brand costs more because they are still trying to recoup their cost of developing the drug---not because it's better, because the generic contains a drug that is chemically identical.

The doctor may have a choice of prescribing either 40 or 80 mg, and given that, how critical can the difference be between 38 and 43?

There can be other small difference, such as the consistency of solubility of coatings of time-release capsules, or some inactive ingredients may be more prone to have side effects themselves. In a generic, only the active ingredient is assured to be the same as in the name-brand.

I could be wrong, I'm not a doctor nor a pharmacist, I'm just trying to draw some common sense conclusions to the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 10,466,451 times
Reputation: 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
All medications have side effects, and the name-brand might have made you feel the same way.

Generics may differ from the name brand in quality control, which means there might be slightly less or more of the active ingredient in your pill. But considering that some people weigh 260 and some weigh 130 and are prescribed exactly the same dosage to be metabolized, dosages are not an exact science. The active ingredient is chemically identical. The name brand costs more because they are still trying to recoup their cost of developing the drug---not because it's better, because the generic contains a drug that is chemically identical.

The doctor may have a choice of prescribing either 40 or 80 mg, and given that, how critical can the difference be between 38 and 43?

There can be other small difference, such as the consistency of solubility of coatings of time-release capsules, or some inactive ingredients may be more prone to have side effects themselves. In a generic, only the active ingredient is assured to be the same as in the name-brand.

I could be wrong, I'm not a doctor nor a pharmacist, I'm just trying to draw some common sense conclusions to the question.
Well said. I don't know what kind of medicine you got, but, sometimes certain types of medicine generic or brand name cause jitters. Ventolin, decongestants are some that could do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 06:57 PM
 
3,627 posts, read 13,137,744 times
Reputation: 2717
I know Tramadol is one medicine where the name brand can be find and the generic has caused jitters ....pharmacist confirmed that is a common issue.

My husband got the generic for a shoulder problem and it did not cause him any issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2010, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Northern NH
4,551 posts, read 10,466,451 times
Reputation: 3807
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I know Tramadol is one medicine where the name brand can be find and the generic has caused jitters ....pharmacist confirmed that is a common issue.

My husband got the generic for a shoulder problem and it did not cause him any issue.
Seriously.....I have not stocked brand name tramadol which would be Ultram in a long time. Interesting though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top