U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 12:21 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,915,779 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to sit about and compare miseries, but I have dyslexia. My parents did not believe in going to doctors, so I was not diagnosed, but my family knew I had it.

Tonight, after reading another thread, I looked for the symptoms online. This is one thing I found: Test for Dyslexia: 37 Common Symptoms

Although the site says, "Most dyslexics will exhibit about 10 of the following traits and behaviors," it surprises me that I have nearly every one of the symptoms. Some have definitely become worse with age.

Out of 37 symptoms, the ones I don't have are these 7:
•Learns best through hands-on experience, demonstrations, experimentation, observation, and visual aids. not so for me
•Complains of dizziness, headaches or stomach aches while reading. When I was young, perhaps, but now i simply struggle with reading anything I percieve a long. i can study, however, and love doing so
•Reading or writing shows repetitions, additions, transpositions, omissions, substitutions, and reversals in letters, numbers and/or words. I don't think this is so.
•Spells phonetically and inconsistently. I don't think this is so.
•Difficulty putting thoughts into words not at all; . . . leaves sentences incomplete that's an old Minnesota habit having nothing to do with dyslexia!; stutters under stress Oh, yes!; . . .
•Has difficulty telling time did as a child but not for long, managing time, learning sequenced information or tasks, . . .
•Can count, but has difficulty counting objects and dealing with money. never did

So I am wondering:
How did you learn you were dyslexic?
How has it effected you?
Does it still cause difficulties?
Does it diminish with age or get worse?

Your age:
20 and under
21-40
41-60
61 and up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 12:23 AM

How did you learn you were dyslexic? from Mother and the agreement of others
How has it effected you? It's late. Tell you later.
Does it still cause difficulties? yes!
Does it diminish with age or get worse? Mine hasn't

Your age:
61 and up

Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 AM

How has it effected me -- funny incident:

Hilarious but very uncomfortable

So I spent a few semesters teaching adults in my community to read and do elementary math. These classes were restricted to adults who had graduated but had not learned to read or do the simplest math procedures.

They called a meeting of the teachers, and a large group of us gathered and were given written materials. We settled in for the lecture when suddenly, they called upon me to stand and read the first paper. I was shocked! Me! Out of all those people! And they didn't know about either my dyslexia or A.D.D.!

I shook. rather than standing, because my knees would not have supported me, I stayed seated. I picked up the paper, which was relatively short, and I could not read a word of it! Not one! It was a jumble!

But although I could not read it, I thought I had picked up the jist of it, so rather than read it, I told the group in a couple sentences what it said, then shut my mouth.

For years, I thought, well, I pulled that one off! But I quit teaching. COuld not show my face there again. That little niggling doubt. And later, I wondered: Did I really perceive enough of that paper to really tell them what it said, as I thought I had? To this day, I simply don't know.

I know that both stress and being tired strongly effect my ability to read, while everything effects my ability to understand what I read. Reading publically especially effects me. So I volunteered to be on the list to go up to Torah where I worship. It was really hard for the first years, and I actually quit for about three years, then requested to be put back on the list. My reading has improved significantly, and now, I can go up and read as well as most. Now, I am enjoying it, looking forward to being called.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:00 PM

9,986 posts, read 17,901,013 times
I'm not dyslexic that I know of, but my brother is. He's 48 and we're pretty sure he has AD/HD also though he won't get dx'ed since he's a pilot. He always had difficulties in school and with reading and such and his HS guidance counselor told him not to even think of going to college. Fortunately he didn't listen and got his Bachelor's degree and a career that he adores.

Funny thing--dyslexics are notoriously bad spellers, and I'm a pretty good one and I could only find one misspelled word in your whole post. I'd say you're doing much better than the general population, and your word was one that almost everyone misspells. One question I have: Are you a visual thinker? As in, do you think in pictures and have vivid visual dreams when you sleep? Many people with LD are and it's a type of intelligence that most people don't have so they don't realize what they're missing, but it's a skill that could be highly valuable in certain fields. What kind of career do you have? Do you enjoy it and are you good at it? I'm always curious about these things since I work with special ed kids.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:26 PM

Is my misspelled word effect? I never get that one right. I am curious re which word was misspelled, if not that one. I am not a great speller, but I used to be. I used mnemonics to keep it all straight.

I am glad your brother didn't listen to his counselor about going to college. Mine told me that, too, but so did Mother. I didn't start classes until I was @ 29.

I am an extremely visual thinker and my dreams are wonderfully vivid, in color, with specific elements, like entertaining movies. I feel very fortunate in that. They also teach me many things. My work? I am a Christian pastor's assistant. I love it, and I am good at it. Although I am not of their religion, and don't attend their church, it still works out. My spiritual gift is to be a helper, and this comes in very handy.

Thank you for your post! I would love to read more from you.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 PM

9,986 posts, read 17,901,013 times
Well feather my shingles (I just made that up)--I had 9 of the symptoms, but a lot of those cross over with AD/HD which I am dx'ed for. This one really jumped out:
Quote:
Clumsy, uncoordinated, poor at ball or team sports; difficulties with fine and/or gross motor skills and tasks; prone to motion-sickness.
I have all of those. One LD I'm pretty sure I have is auditory processing disorder--I have trouble distinguishing sounds in a crowded room. I always wondered why I didn't do so well at parties and in crowds and now I know.

OH, and just wanted to tell you that you'll probably have better luck with this thread in "education."

Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
One LD I'm pretty sure I have is auditory processing disorder--I have trouble distinguishing sounds in a crowded room. I always wondered why I didn't do so well at parties and in crowds and now I know.

OH, and just wanted to tell you that you'll probably have better luck with this thread in "education."
I had not realized, until reading that list, that this may be a problem related to dyslexia. I have had to teach myself to manage in crowds, but the one thing I haven't been able to teach myself is how to handle singing in a choir. I can listen to a choir and enjoy it, but I can't join in. When I tried, it made a complete jumble in my hearing, a confusing jumble of noise.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:12 PM

Moderators:
Could this whole thread be moved to Education?

Thank you for your consideration!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness