U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2016, 03:36 PM

11,344 posts, read 21,750,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_dogood View Post
POhdNcrzy, it's been like 5 years since your original post.
If you're still a user of this forum, I'd very much appreciate you stating if your eyes are still healthy after you've used your monthlies for a whole year, and you've done this for 5 consecutive years.
SEVERAL lens-induced eye problems are hard to notice when they develop, they develop slowly, cornea loses sensitivity (ability to feel pain) due to chronic lens-induced mild trauma and hypoxia, and in many cases the patient won't know there's something wrong, until it's too late already- only a practitioner can read these structural changes after staining the cornea with a dye and evaluating it under illuminated magnification (objectively). Just because you're asymptomatic, you shouldn't conclude you're healthy.

If your eyes are still healthy after 5 years of doing what you've stated in your original post (I mean not just "feel" healthy, but you've seen an ophthalmologist and come clean on his/her slit-lamp biomicrosope evaluation of the cornea), you'd make a very interesting case.
I don't use disposables, I use gas permeable lenses, but I used the same lenses for ten years...not the wisest thing to do but I always figured I'd have money for more lenses at some point and it just didn't happen. When I did go for a new prescription, the lenses had not done any damage to my eyes and the prescription hadn't changed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 09:30 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,312,430 times
I used to employ a similar method as the OP to extend the life of my daily wear disposable contacts. I did this for a couple of years as a way to economize as my insurance did not have vision coverage at the time. Then I found an online contact lens supplier that sells daily wear lenses for $18.34 for a months supply. The only negative is they don't supply lenses for astigmatism. To order, you only have to confirm that you have a valid contact lens prescription, but they don't ask to have it faxed to them.

I have been using them for about three years and have been very happy with the lenses.
Check them out. They even offer a money back guarantee.

daysoft.com

...and no, I am not affiliated with the company in any way. Just a satisfied customer.

Last edited by Horizonite; 02-06-2016 at 09:49 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 06:24 PM

8,452 posts, read 12,096,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_dogood View Post
nightlysparrow, it's interesting to know you've been using contacts since before I was born, and have been abusing them all these years...
To correct your misperception, I have never "abused" contact lenses. During the years I wore the monthly version 24 hours a day, these were the "extended wear" type, duly prescribed, and after a month like clockwork I changed them out. That is exactly the same directions given to extended wear contact users today.

Now, although I still wear what are technically monthly extended wear lenses, I remove them nightly and clean them, and dispose of them before the month is up, following precisely the prescription.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:26 PM

16,378 posts, read 7,993,538 times
I wear them 24/7 until my eyes feel irritated (which takes a long time) and then they sit in solution while I wear glasses until I get too annoyed with those and put the contacts back in.

I don't throw them away until they tear or if they bother my eyes right away when I put them in.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:37 PM

16,378 posts, read 7,993,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
I used to employ a similar method as the OP to extend the life of my daily wear disposable contacts. I did this for a couple of years as a way to economize as my insurance did not have vision coverage at the time. Then I found an online contact lens supplier that sells daily wear lenses for $18.34 for a months supply. The only negative is they don't supply lenses for astigmatism. To order, you only have to confirm that you have a valid contact lens prescription, but they don't ask to have it faxed to them.

I have been using them for about three years and have been very happy with the lenses.
Check them out. They even offer a money back guarantee.

daysoft.com

...and no, I am not affiliated with the company in any way. Just a satisfied customer.
I haven't bought contacts in a while but I don't remember them saying anything about astigmatism on them.

I thought maybe that only matters for glasses?

I have astigmatism, but I want these......

Old 02-08-2016, 07:21 PM

11,344 posts, read 21,750,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I haven't bought contacts in a while but I don't remember them saying anything about astigmatism on them.

I thought maybe that only matters for glasses?

I have astigmatism, but I want these......
Gas permeable lenses work for people with astigmatism. You have to take them out and soak them every night or they irritate your eyes, but the lenses last a while. I think I paid $100 for the last pair I bought and you're only meant to replace them once a year. I'm going on two years with this pair but I'm planning to replace them soon.

You can also get toric lenses which are soft lenses that are usually weighted so that they'll work for astigmatism.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:07 PM

4,210 posts, read 2,835,873 times
I've also used contacts for many years (31). I have been on the "daily" wear for a while. It was recommended to change them out once a week or month? I don't remember. I don't use the tablets but I store them in the "no rub" solution BUT I "do rub". I clean them gently every day before I put them in and they last for months. By the way, the multi purpose solution I buy (Walmart brand) is much cheaper than the Bausch and Lomb and no longer says "no rub". The quality is the same as the name brand. I've been using it for many years.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:49 PM

11,990 posts, read 21,269,649 times
I can't wear them anymore - I only need for long distance but it got to the point where I couldn't read anything while wearing them (aging, apparently your eyes don't adapt so well) - now I have to wear glasses to drive, but don't wear them otherwise.

When I did wear them - I also extended them a bit but not for much longer than recommended.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:49 PM

168 posts, read 205,623 times
Default Extended contacts

It sounds like many people were having problems affording lenses. You can order them from Canada without a prescription verification if you know your CL script details. I ended up doing this after a provider refused to give me my script just long enough for the year to end so I lost the ability to use my vision benefits and lost all that money. They eventually mailed me the script after the first of the year. This was the second dodgy vision provider I ran into recently. The previous one was at a Costco and I think they got a percentage of the sales they referred to the glasses/contacts counter in the store. They wrote my script for astigmatism but didn't mention anything to me about that. I only found this when I went to order contacts off a new script from a new doctor. I had never had astigmatism lenses before this and the subsequent script from another doctor didn't either.

This same doctor did this to my other family members on their contacts. These lenses had given me horrible headaches that I didn't realize until I got lenses for the new script. Why would they do this? Astigmatism lenses cost about 3x what regular ones do.

On the cost/availability of lenses it really irks me that people in Canada and many other countries can go into a dispensing shop or drug store and just buy lenses as long as they know their script numbers. Here it is a gauntlet of clinics trying to force you to buy there and a million steps to buy online from a US store. They also cost slightly less to buy them from Canada.

Old 04-19-2016, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 723 times
Hello, I have very high myopia and astigmatism. This necessitates toric lenses, which for my prescription are not available in any other option than yearly disposable formats. Do you suggest any alternatives? Lasik is not an option as it would not completely eliminate glasses and I see no point in getting a Lasik done if I would still end up wearing glasses with a thinner cornea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness