U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 12:24 AM

1,450 posts, read 930,966 times

Advertisements

I wear the soft contacts, which last two weeks; however, I only wear then a few times a week. Still dispose of then every two weeks. I barely need then when driving and the cost is not an issue for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 08:37 PM

25,699 posts, read 24,760,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Well howdy folks, thought I'd take a moment out of another awesome sunny, dry New England day (weird, huh? but who's complaining?) to tell you about an AMAZING discovery I have made.

Okay, I wear disposable MONTHLY contact lenses. Guess, what so long as you are real diligent about properly caring for such lenses and don't sleep in 'em and other dumb stuff, so long as you regularly use a reputable tablet-based enzymatic protein removing cleaner you can wear these lenses for years with no problems and save a mega-$$$ ton of money.

Did you know that the most profitable businesses in the world are ones that sell a product that people need to regularly keep buying over and over again?

What a slick scam. Okay, tablet based enzymatic protein removing CL cleaning systems are really hard to find in local drug stores or WalMart, in fact almost impossible. And do you know why?? Yup, the CL industry would rather have you buying daily, or weekly, or monthly lenses and spending literally A TON of dough on contact lenses. DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE. Of course, disposable lenses are the most safe and convenient but over time they will cost you A FORTUNE (if you hadn't noticed already).

I soak my lenses overnight daily with your typical "MULTI-PURPOSE NO RUB DISINFECTING SOLUTION". Then about twice a month I do the tablet-based enzymatic disinfection and protein removal system. That's it. The key here is the tablet-based enzymatic protein removal and disinfectant system, you can't just use the "No Rub" solution alone if you want your lenses to last forever.

I'm sure people will tell you this is bad advice or unhealthy for your eyes, NONSENSE. Another real important thing, don't wear your lenses more than 12-16 hrs per day and you should have a day or two every week where you wear your eyeglasses instead to give your eyes "a rest".

The enzymatic system I use is called "Oxysept UltraCare" solution and disinfecting tablets, plus the protein removal tablet "Ultrazyme" by Amo, Inc.
It's expensive but overall you will save A HUGE SUM OF MONEY.

Enjoy!
A 'wear for two weeks' supply last a month per pair or more, until they start to tear. Yes, I take them out every night and soak them, in whatever generic soak/disinfecting solution I happen to have. Im not made of money so lasik is not an option, since I dont have vision insurance anyway, and at my age, dont want to take the chance. And do agree, they can easily expensive if you buy new boxes every month or so basically, two boxes last me maybe 10 months.....

Old 04-26-2016, 09:01 AM

4 posts, read 14,075 times
Jyoty, could you mention your COMPLETE prescription here?

Have you talked to your doctor about refractive surgeries? In many cases, a LASIK type surgery can actually help get rid of glasses. This depends on factors which are beyond the scope of this thread, your doctor needs to perform a calculation based on the thickness of your cornea and the "spherical equivalent" of your refractive error.

I personally DO NOT recommend a laser surgery just for cosmetic reasons. Unless "medically necessary", you should not consider lasers. Not only are there risks of side effects (super dry eyes, distorted night-vision, etc), but a LASIK makes it extremely difficult to calculate a multifocal IOL power. You need a multifocal IOL in your old age when/ if you get a cataract.

Depending on your prescription, you might be a good candidate for a RGP fitting. Talk to your doctor about this.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:23 AM

4 posts, read 14,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I can't wear them anymore - I only need for long distance but it got to the point where I couldn't read anything while wearing them (aging, apparently your eyes don't adapt so well) - now I have to wear glasses to drive, but don't wear them otherwise.

When I did wear them - I also extended them a bit but not for much longer than recommended.
If I'm getting you right, it sounds like you've developed presbyopia.

Multifocal/ Bifocal contact lenses are available, talk to your doctor about them.
You can still wear your normal "single vision" contacts for driving, but if you do this you'll need to use +ve lenses while reading/ performing near work. (The idea is to "Reduce" the -ve power. Say a prescription reads OS: -3.25 SP -0.00CYL Add +1.00SP 0 CYL, it means you need -3.25 SP for distant vision, and -2.25SP for near. If you're using a "single vision" contact lens, you cannot have -2.25SP in the "Reading" part of the contact lens, hence you will use a +1.00SP glass on top of your lenses for reading. This will mathematically reduce the -ve power to -2.25SP for near work, but you MUST remove the glasses while driving/ looking at distant objects.)
Another option is "Monovision", this might work for you as well.

It's really NOT a good idea to extend the life of contact lenses beyond what your doctor recommends. If your doctor says it's fine (for you) to wear a monthly for 6 weeks, you should be fine. But if you're not adhering to your doctor's recommendation, you're just taking an unnecessary risk. I'm a student specializing in ophthalmology, and trust me, we're not recommending a replacement schedule to make more money, we're doing this based on precise observations of your cornea, tear chemistry, lid health, hypoxic stress endurance, and a lot of other factors.

Contacts are not "essentials". If someone can't afford them they can very easily switch to glasses, and in most cases vision with glasses will be just/almost as good as with contacts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness