Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:53 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,688,455 times

Advertisements

Well howdy folks, thought I'd take a moment out of another awesome sunny, dry New England day (weird, huh? but who's complaining?) to tell you about an AMAZING discovery I have made.

Okay, I wear disposable MONTHLY contact lenses. Guess, what so long as you are real diligent about properly caring for such lenses and don't sleep in 'em and other dumb stuff, so long as you regularly use a reputable tablet-based enzymatic protein removing cleaner you can wear these lenses for years with no problems and save a mega-$$$ ton of money.

Did you know that the most profitable businesses in the world are ones that sell a product that people need to regularly keep buying over and over again?

What a slick scam. Okay, tablet based enzymatic protein removing CL cleaning systems are really hard to find in local drug stores or WalMart, in fact almost impossible. And do you know why?? Yup, the CL industry would rather have you buying daily, or weekly, or monthly lenses and spending literally A TON of dough on contact lenses. DO NOT BELIEVE THE HYPE. Of course, disposable lenses are the most safe and convenient but over time they will cost you A FORTUNE (if you hadn't noticed already).

I soak my lenses overnight daily with your typical "MULTI-PURPOSE NO RUB DISINFECTING SOLUTION". Then about twice a month I do the tablet-based enzymatic disinfection and protein removal system. That's it. The key here is the tablet-based enzymatic protein removal and disinfectant system, you can't just use the "No Rub" solution alone if you want your lenses to last forever.

I'm sure people will tell you this is bad advice or unhealthy for your eyes, NONSENSE. Another real important thing, don't wear your lenses more than 12-16 hrs per day and you should have a day or two every week where you wear your eyeglasses instead to give your eyes "a rest".

The enzymatic system I use is called "Oxysept UltraCare" solution and disinfecting tablets, plus the protein removal tablet "Ultrazyme" by Amo, Inc.
It's expensive but overall you will save A HUGE SUM OF MONEY.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:57 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,016,190 times
I have a really strong prescription, but I have found over the last several years, the lenses have gotten super cheap. The cleaner is way more expensive. IMO it's like a printer...you can get a good quality printer for pretty cheap, but the ink is always $$$.
When I first started wearing contact lenses (17 years ago!) it was almost $300 for a pair of yearly lenses. Now I use monthlies for less than $100 per year. No big deal. My insurance covers $75 of the cost; if you don't have insurance you can occasionally find coupons in the Sunday newspaper for certain brands.
There is no way I could wear a pair for years on end. Even if that were healthy, 1. my prescription changes every year, and 2. I have a tendency to rip a lens every few months (regardless of brand).
I use what used to be called Aosept cleaner...now it is called Clean and Clear I think. Comes with a little bottle that fizzes. I rinse the lenses with Walmart brand saline. I used to use the multipurpose type of cleaner but after multiple episodes of what I thought were mild eye infections, my eye doctor informed me that I am one of many people that are allergic to the multipurpose stuff. Clean and Clear is more expensive, but I haven't had any irritation since I switched to that brand many, many years ago.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:18 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,560,959 times
I stretch mine out longer than I should, but I wear them probably 9 hours a day. However I do not use them for much more than a month because I will inevitably tear one.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:50 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,688,455 times
Wow, I never ever ever tear a contact lense, knock on hard wood. I wonder if that is because you two are gals and have long nails??

Well, like Dave Matthews sings, "everybody's different...la la la". I didn't really mean to recommend wearing the lenses for years, but I'm at about 14 months on 1 pair of monthly lenses with no problems whatsoever though.

I'm a dude, so I don't have long nails. But I do like to shave a lot of my body hair and wear thongs! Hah ha! I worked with a dude with long nails once, a real weirdo. Yeah, and there are those guitar players who have long nails...

Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,579,247 times
I use daily disposables. I travel for work and work in a high speed environment. I always have an extra pair available.

After paying $27 for lens solution in NZ and having to haul all that crap around and then clean them everyday forget it. Just don't have the time or patience for all that. And too much risk of an infection from having to clean lenses and all that.

Back when I had biweeklys, sometimes I would string them out for a while, but the most you could put on them was a month I found.

And the daily lenses I go through now, I don't burn through them too quick as when home I usually just have glasses on.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:10 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
When i wore contacts i love when the weekly disposable ones came out. i knew several people who got ulcers form the older type you clan. But I got lazer surgery twen eyars ago and love that even more. More than paid for itself since insurance paid a portion. Wife had it done too.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:02 AM

4 posts, read 17,351 times
POhdNcrzy, it's been like 5 years since your original post.
If you're still a user of this forum, I'd very much appreciate you stating if your eyes are still healthy after you've used your monthlies for a whole year, and you've done this for 5 consecutive years.
SEVERAL lens-induced eye problems are hard to notice when they develop, they develop slowly, cornea loses sensitivity (ability to feel pain) due to chronic lens-induced mild trauma and hypoxia, and in many cases the patient won't know there's something wrong, until it's too late already- only a practitioner can read these structural changes after staining the cornea with a dye and evaluating it under illuminated magnification (objectively). Just because you're asymptomatic, you shouldn't conclude you're healthy.

If your eyes are still healthy after 5 years of doing what you've stated in your original post (I mean not just "feel" healthy, but you've seen an ophthalmologist and come clean on his/her slit-lamp biomicrosope evaluation of the cornea), you'd make a very interesting case.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:18 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,946,733 times
Hi, I'm not the OP but I have worn contacts for 38 years and the first 17 or so years were in the 24-hours a day monthlies. I have had many eye exams (BTW, optometrists also perform slit-lamp exams, not just ophthalmologists) and all have been normal. The only reason I no longer wear the monthlies is because my Rx increased and I needed thicker lenses. Thicker lenses allow less oxygen into the eye, so I take them out daily and clean them. I get anywhere from 2 weeks to a month per pair. The newer more gas permeable lenses don't come in my high Rx. I am careful to never sleep or even nap in them.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:27 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
I know this is about contact lens and I did stressfully try them about 50 yrs ago, the hard lens. I could NOT do it and never tried again. I really like attractive frames and have a reading pair and distance pair. There are so many attractive frames. Without my glasses my eyesight is pretty good and I'm 77.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 17,351 times
Well, I'm specializing in ophthalmology (not optometry), and we have a paper on contact lenses this semester.

Professors (and books) instruct us to make sure patients ALWAYS adhere to the prescription. In case of non-compliance, we should refuse dispensing a contact lens prescription and force our patients back to glasses. (other doctors will have access to the patient's previous records and they would refuse CL prescription as well).

Specifications on the CL packaging are a "general guideline" and should never be taken as a substitute to professional advice. We must recommend a wearing/replacement schedule based on the patient (his/her tear chemistry, usage habits, current corneal status, predisposition to corneal anomalies, so on and so forth), and this advice should NOT be influenced by the COST of obtaining lenses- it should be PURELY about ensuring the patient's ocular health on the long run. If our recommendation sounds too expensive to the patient, we should not alter out recommendation in an effort to fit them with a CL. We should instead ask them to use spectacles.

In any case, we should NOT advise using a daily disposable lens for more than 3 days.

Reasons stated for this:
*Loss of surface treatment on the lens: CLs receive a "surface treatment" as part of the manufacturing process. This helps them retain moisture, retain shape, and be smooth on the corneal surface. Daily disposable lenses (say Hilafilcon B) don't receive the same surface treatment as monthlies (also Hilafilcon B). The daily disposable receives a different treatment, and it wears off when it's dipped in a multipurpose solution. Using it for more than 3 days will aggravate dry eyes (lenses lose the ability to retain moisture), aggravate corneal hypoxia (loss of shape will cause a misfit, and hinder tear-exchange and oxygen diffusion), and might scratch the cornea (because the lens surfaces won't be as smooth).
Easiest way to spot a corneal scratch (subjectively) is to close your eyes after REMOVING the contact lens. If you feel a "foreign body sensation" (example: if it feels like there's dust/dirt in your eye) and it doesn't go away with washing your eyes, there's a HIGH possibility of a corneal scratch. The definitive way to confirm this is a slit-lamp biomicroscope evaluation.

*Risk of GPC: Giant Papillary Conjunctivitis is almost exclusive to CL users. And it was extremely common with yearly disposable CLs back in the day. Protein buildup causes chronic irritation of the eyelids, and this eventually precipitates as GPC. Daily disposables generally have very high water content (more than 70%), and is more prone to absorb proteins from your tears. Case in point, studies show GPC prevalence in CL users have come down since frequent replacement lenses became the norm.

*Risk of corneal infection: Micro-scratches develop on the CL surface (there aren't visible to the naked eye). Pathogens thrive in these scratches, and increase the risk of a corneal infection, and subsequent corneal scar (which in some cases can be sight threatening). Disinfectants are not strong enough to destroy all these pathogen colonies, as they need to be super-mild or they'll irritate the eye.

nightlysparrow, it's interesting to know you've been using contacts since before I was born, and have been abusing them all these years without developing a major complication. I will ask my professor to take a look at your post and reply with his view on the matter. Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness