U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 07:32 AM

1,945 posts, read 5,831,701 times

Advertisements

The comment about diet soda is right, aspartame is MUCH MUCH worse than HFCS and seeing as how certain sugar substitutes can cause neurological diseases and cancer, I don't see anything wrong with worrying about it.

Sales on soda are constant, it is so cheap, it's the only soda most of us can afford, and it tastes good. Flavored seltzer - I'm sure I'd have to doctor that up also. Healthy sodas (organic, etc) aren't sold in regular grocery stores and they are expensive. ANYTHING healthy is expensive and that really sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:39 AM

107 posts, read 133,977 times
I've tried to take our family off the high fructose corn syrup. It really does add to obesity and it's not metabolized by the body well so it can be as damaging to the body as drinking alcohol.

I suppose I should supply a link for some of this as to be honest I def don't remember verbatim. Have you noticed the corn syrup in baby formula, and the obesity of babies has gone up.

Anyhow it really is in everything. More companies are aware now so they are making alternatives. Even in ketchup....thank god cause there are some things one can't live without.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:42 AM

107 posts, read 133,977 times
High fructose corn syrup linked to liver scarring, research suggests

okay....heres a link on the liver damage by high fructose corn syrup.....

Old 09-24-2010, 08:21 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,883,841 times
You know, you could always get a seltzer maker, add the cartridge, squeeze a slice of orange into a glass, and make your own fresh orange soda. For pennies per glass.

Or, skip the carbonated water entirely, and squeeze a slice of lime and a few drops of honey into some ice water. Again, pennies. Pennies, delicious, and good for you.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:22 AM

6,295 posts, read 19,523,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Was it the "Heritage" Dr. Pepper?
Not sure about that...it is in a anniversary case and the can says "I'm a Pepper".

Old 09-24-2010, 03:44 PM

15,688 posts, read 32,453,478 times
For those who hate the seltzer - one thing I used to do is buy real fruit juice, like Welch's grape, and add just a splash to the already flavored seltzer - it's delicious and much healthier than real soda. It won't be as sweet as soda, but it's still sweet and refreshing.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:38 PM

13,253 posts, read 37,883,841 times
All sugar leads to obesity, if consumed in more quanties than the user can burn off. The research that the whole HFCS scare came from, was misinterpreted by the media and blown out of context, and out of proportion. The author of the research paper himself said clearly: All sugars, once introduced into the digestive system, are metabolized exactly the same way. Once ingested, sugar is sugar. The reason the rats drinking the HFCS-sweetened sugar water got fatter than the ones drinking cane-sugar-sweetened sugar water, is because the rats LIKED the HFCS sweetened water more, and therefore drank more of it.

The reason people get fatter eating foods made with HFCS, is because there ARE more foods made with HFCS. A teaspoon of crystallized sugar cane or beet sugar contains 15-16 calories. A teaspoon of HFCS contains...wait for it..

So the thing is, cut down on the sugar. All of it. Not just HFCS - because then you'll justify eating beet or cane sugar, or extra honey (which has more calories than beet or cane), or maple syrup (which has slightly less than beet or cane), and get obese anyway, and then blame the sugar.

It's not the sugar's fault people are fat. It's peoples' fault people are fat.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:20 PM

1,945 posts, read 5,831,701 times
Everything in moderation.... too much fat is bad for you, as is too much sugar, too much starch, too many carbs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness