U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 12:30 PM

22,946 posts, read 16,947,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No where in your posted article, or elsewhere, does it state your OP.
Why do you continually make up "OMG" OPs?

They're so easy to debunk.
In fairness, I thought it was a pretty good parody of the way the local news reports these sorts of things.
Sort of like the way they wait until sweeps weeks to inform us about the most dangerous______ever! 'cause of course it doesn't impact us the rest of the time

Old 09-29-2010, 12:31 PM

89,346 posts, read 105,947,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
Seriously, do you have independent sources? ...CDC and Vaccine Industry are joined at the hip, and due to conflict of interest, are not going to reveal the whole picture
I have a tinfoil hat, too.

If all you can do to refute what I say is say the sources are biased, that's not much. I'm sorry; I trust the CDC. So do most health care practitioners. Who else is doing this epi research? Not Wakefield or Mercola.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:38 PM

1,701 posts, read 3,097,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Yes, epidemiologists predict outcomes based on patterns from past outbreaks. But you know that. Are you suggesting that preventative care is a waste of time because no one really knows what will occur?
Oh boy do I know it, I just love the language used. It states it almost as fact and people take it as such. You have org.'s stating they've saved such and such lives patting each other on the back when nobody can be certain.

Some preventative care yes. Running out and getting a shot everytime someone gets a sniffle? Nopes. Same can be accomplished with getting enough sleep eating right and common sense.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Oh boy do I know it, I just love the language used. It states it almost as fact and people take it as such. You have org.'s stating they've saved such and such lives patting each other on the back when nobody can be certain.

Some preventative care yes. Running out and getting a shot everytime someone gets a sniffle? Nopes. Same can be accomplished with getting enough sleep eating right and common sense.
What do you recommend regarding "common sense"?

Old 09-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
I really don't like how the government has its hand in the vaccination business. Too cozy a relationship with Big Pharma. I do agree that there was sensationalism and fear mongering happening with the Swine Flu last season. I refused to get the vaccine last year but did get it this year. I've had the flu (not swine flu) in recent years and it's really not fun. I'd like to avoid that at all costs.

I'd say thats part of the problem. Avoid it at all costs? Really? It's really just a bad cold. People need to learn to deal with a little bit of suffering. It's going to make the world a better place, really.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What do you recommend regarding "common sense"?
Do your best to stay out of confined areas for extended periods of time. If your SO is ill stay away for a bit. Wash your hands, any number of normal countermeasures that your mom has been telling you since you were born, you know that kind of stuff.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:47 PM

2,564 posts, read 1,349,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have a tinfoil hat, too.

If all you can do to refute what I say is say the sources are biased, that's not much. I'm sorry; I trust the CDC. So do most health care practitioners. Who else is doing this epi research? Not Wakefield or Mercola.
Well, yes, as a matter of fact you do, since you trust the CDC (and its obvious conflicts of interest and known ties with Big Pharma'$ vaccine indu$try) . Have you never heard the expression: "Follow the money...?" You believe GB comes out of thin air, koinkydinkily only after Swine Flu Vaccines (the ONLY common denominator between GB victims)? Or is it another "hereditary" neurological disorder, that somehow manifests itself in mid-life, koinkydinkily AFTER Swine Flu Vaccine. You have yet to inform us ... WHAT CAUSES GB

Old 09-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Here ya go, from a non-governmental source:

Guillain-Barre syndrome - MayoClinic.com

The exact cause of Guillain-Barre syndrome is unknown. In about 60 percent of cases, an infection affecting either the lungs or the digestive tract precedes the disorder. But scientists don't know why such an infection can lead to Guillain-Barre syndrome for some people and not for others. Many cases appear to occur without any triggers.

Do read the site.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:04 PM

7,522 posts, read 7,408,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
[/u][/b]

I'd say thats part of the problem. Avoid it at all costs? Really? It's really just a bad cold. People need to learn to deal with a little bit of suffering. It's going to make the world a better place, really.
Part of the problem? Please. I work in health care. I see patients. I would be a part of the problem if I DIDN'T take precautions to prevent the spread of this and inoculate myself. And I'm quite sure I've had MANY more courses on use of personal protective equipment, proper handwashing techniques, spread of infectious disease, bloodborne pathogens, etc., etc., etc... than you. Yes, washing hands helps, but it isn't foolproof. Health care providers are in the front lines and despite the best precautions, we still catch illnesses and diseases from our patients.

Moderator cut: rude You've obviously not had the flu in recent years. I was laid up in bed for over a week with fever, chills, massive head and body aches, and overall malaise. How does that make the world a better place exactly? And yes, I would rather prevent having to endure that again, ever. Maybe you prefer to suffer needlessly, I don't. Must be some sort of badge of honor for you. Whatever.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-29-2010 at 06:12 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 01:29 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,217,076 times
I've had the flu. It sucks. Bad. If you've had it you know you are probably not lazing around watching TV and playing games; just trying to suffer through.

I'm still not getting the shot.

My mother gets the shot every year. She gets the flu (yes influenza, not gastroenteritis) about every other year. I don't think it's due to the shot, I just think it is largely ineffective.

It's very hard to sort out what's actually going on in the world now, in all areas, this being one of them. A big thank you to the media for that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness