U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:31 PM

1,701 posts, read 3,099,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Part of the problem? Please. I work in health care. I see patients. I would be a part of the problem if I DIDN'T take precautions to prevent the spread of this and inoculate myself. And I'm quite sure I've had MANY more courses on use of personal protective equipment, proper handwashing techniques, spread of infectious disease, bloodborne pathogens, etc., etc., etc... than you. Yes, washing hands helps, but it isn't foolproof. Health care providers are in the front lines and despite the best precautions, we still catch illnesses and diseases from our patients.

To say that the flu is just a bad cold and I should learn to deal with suffering is moronic and ill-informed at best and I can't even state what it is at worst other than completely ignorant on your part. You've obviously not had the flu in recent years. I was laid up in bed for over a week with fever, chills, massive head and body aches, and overall malaise. How does that make the world a better place exactly? And yes, I would rather prevent having to endure that again, ever. Maybe you prefer to suffer needlessly, I don't. Must be some sort of badge of honor for you. Whatever.
Spare ME. I am also in healthcare in one of the most densely populated areas in the nation.(if not THE most). So to say that you've had more courses in standard precautions than I is, how did you put it? Moderator cut: rude . So as a HCW you should know that handwashing IS THE best way to prevent infection. Please consult with your IC dept. They'll tell you the same.

Badge of honor? No. Realist? Yes. Life includes a little bit of suffering. That means colds, including the flu. If MD's didn't write scrips for every sniffle(or pt's didn't DEMAND them). We'd see a lot less muti-drug resistant strains out there.

Touch more suffering=less infections=better world. Do the math.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-29-2010 at 06:13 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 01:42 PM

89,467 posts, read 106,096,568 times
Handwashing will not prevent much flu, as flu is airborne.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Handwashing will not prevent much flu, as flu is airborne.
Correct but it is part of basic precautions that ANY HCW should take. Also get rest and eat properly.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:17 PM

5,342 posts, read 11,510,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
[/u][/b]

I'd say thats part of the problem. Avoid it at all costs? Really? It's really just a bad cold. People need to learn to deal with a little bit of suffering. It's going to make the world a better place, really.
The fact that you keep saying this tells me you have no idea what influenza is...its NOT just a bad cold.

Influenza is not the same as viral gastroenteritis or other viral syndromes...

IF you had ever had the "flu" you would realize it involves more than a tad of "suffering"....people with influenza are SICK....rigors, body aches, severe malaise...it isn't a case of the sniffles.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
The fact that you keep saying this tells me you have no idea what influenza is...its NOT just a bad cold.

Influenza is not the same as viral gastroenteritis or other viral syndromes...

IF you had ever had the "flu" you would realize it involves more than a tad of "suffering"....people with influenza are SICK....rigors, body aches, severe malaise...it isn't a case of the sniffles.
Great, so get the shot. And when it mutates into something that resists all countermeasures you can thank yourself. I've had the flu. It was like a bad cold. I survived without a shot, toughen up it'll make the world a better place.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:33 PM

25,337 posts, read 30,148,995 times
Quote:
Great, so get the shot. And when it mutates into something that resists all countermeasures you can thank yourself. I've had the flu. It was like a bad cold. I survived without a shot, toughen up it'll make the world a better place.

If it was like a bad cold, it probably was a bad cold, not the flu.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:33 PM

89,467 posts, read 106,096,568 times
Quote:
The shot is not a live vaccine. It can't mutate. The flu virus itself mutates, which is why we need one every year.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:44 PM

12,977 posts, read 12,649,827 times
Quote:
If you are actually in health care that is apalling advice to give anyone. Tell people to do some research, wash their hands, eat healthily, etc. But to tell people that flu is just a bad cold, and to toughen up is incredibly ignorant, and downright dangerous.

You may choose not to get a flu shot once you have all the facts, good for you, but as an adult you are able to protect yourself somewhat. My kids are younger, and are pretty good at handwashing, but once flu arrives at school, it spreads like wildfire. We all had the swine flu last year, and my then 6 year-old was actively ill for over 3 weeks, and took about another 2 before she was back to normal. That was no cold.

Believe what you want, and make choices for yourself that reflect your beliefs, but take some responsibility for the information you disseminate, it could cost someone their life.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The shot is not a live vaccine. It can't mutate. The flu virus itself mutates, which is why we need one every year.
Agreed, it was the flu I was refering to.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 PM

5,342 posts, read 11,510,579 times
Quote:
You didn't have the "flu"...

And you clearly have no clue about how vaccines work....vaccines aren't "countermeasures" they are "preventative measures" and mutations have no relevance to the discussion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness