U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 04:51 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,323,875 times

Advertisements

I have had a flu shot one time in my life, that winter I was the sickest I had ever been in my life, not saying I had the flu, just seemed as if for some reason the flu shot weakened my immune system. I would have rather had the flu, at least I would have been better in about 3 weeks, I was sick for 2 months. If my family been dependent on my salary we would have been in bad shape money wise. I haven't had another one since and have never been that sick again. Whether it was the shot or simply a bad year I don't know, but in my mind I will always equate it with the shot. Would I tell others not to get it, no it is a personal decision. You have to do the research, weigh the benefits and risks and then make your decision.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 AM

3,790 posts, read 7,957,131 times
How many strains of flu does the vaccine cover? Is it worth taking the shot if it only covers a few strains?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
How many strains of flu does the vaccine cover? Is it worth taking the shot if it only covers a few strains?
As per the CDC website, The 2010-2011 flu vaccine will protect against three different flu viruses: an H3N2 virus, an influenza B virus and the H1N1 virus that caused so much illness last season.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 AM

Quote:
You are asking a loaded question on here, if they got it right then yeah it should help, if it happens to be a different strain which sometimes happens then no it wouldn't protect you against it.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:01 AM

5,065 posts, read 14,107,757 times
It's hard for people to know to do when health care professionals don't even all agree. We have some family members who are nurses and a Dr., and they don't advocate getting the flu shot each year. My son's pedi is very casual about it. Yet my own Dr. almost harrasses me trying to talk me into getting it each year, even calling me at home. We rarely get flu shots. We've been very sick a few times over the years, but I realize that cold viruses can mimic the flu so who knows if we've ever had the flu or not. I do know that people can get the actual flu after getting a flu shot, it doesn't cover all strains. I think we'll just continue to take our chances, we don't like the ingredients in vaccines and don't like the idea of routinely injecting ourselves with them.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:19 AM

43,857 posts, read 45,489,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
It's hard for people to know to do when health care professionals don't even all agree. We have some family members who are nurses and a Dr., and they don't advocate getting the flu shot each year. My son's pedi is very casual about it. Yet my own Dr. almost harrasses me trying to talk me into getting it each year, even calling me at home. We rarely get flu shots. We've been very sick a few times over the years, but I realize that cold viruses can mimic the flu so who knows if we've ever had the flu or not. I do know that people can get the actual flu after getting a flu shot, it doesn't cover all strains. I think we'll just continue to take our chances, we don't like the ingredients in vaccines and don't like the idea of routinely injecting ourselves with them.
I so agree. We have no idea what all is in those shots and what the long term results could be.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:37 AM

27,236 posts, read 42,261,114 times
Doctors are quacks. I have NEVER gotten a flu shot, except maybe once during my time in service. Once I figured out the "trick" I didn't get more than the one. They ask if you're allergic to eggs, without checking the veracity of your response. Requires a different, less common, type of shot.

I've also never gotten the flu--perhaps I have a strong constitution.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 AM

25,136 posts, read 30,034,331 times
Quote:
The vaccine covers three strains. This year it is H1N1 and one A and one B strain.

Here is how the viruses are chosen: CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Selecting the Viruses in the Influenza (Flu) Vaccine

Old 10-04-2010, 10:14 AM

25,136 posts, read 30,034,331 times
I see two themes here. There are those of you who do not want to take the vaccine because you never get sick anyway and those who do not want to take it because when you did so, you got sick anyway.

The flu is not just an exceptionally bad cold, and if you ever had it you would know the difference. My husband had it when he was in graduate school. He came home from class, turned the thermostat UP (he never does that!), got into bed, and turned the electric blanket UP. He is normally comfortable at about 62 degrees. He said he hurt all over, even his hair hurt! He seldom gets sick, either. He was absolutely miserable.

Look, the vaccine is not going to work against all strains of flu. We know that. It will not work if you are already coming down with the flu when you take the vaccine. We know that. It will not work against other viruses that can make people miserable for a long time. See the thread here on CD about Fifth Disease in adults. Flu vaccine will not protect against parvovirus.

For those who do not like the ingredients, you are welcome to your opinion, but the vaccine has been around for a long time. Whatever risks there are from modern vaccines are very small, and much outweighed by the benefits. Each person has to make the risk - benefit decision for himself, and I chose to take the vaccine. For those who work in health care fields, it is irresponsible not to be vaccinated, however. I would be absolutely furious if I or a member of my family caught a vaccine preventable illness from a doctor or a nurse.

Old 10-04-2010, 11:57 AM

19,865 posts, read 57,895,281 times
and it's getting repetitive. I think SuzyQ summed it up well. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness