U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 04:58 PM

9,983 posts, read 17,897,835 times

Advertisements

OP, you look quite normal to me and that's b/c you are normal. Unfortunately, normal does not equal healthy. You are still quite young so you won't remember what the average person looked like just 30 years ago. Google some images of famous people from the 80's and before and then some from now, and you'll see what I mean. I am not giving you trouble--I have the exact same BMI, and I'm not as athletic as you seem to be, though I do work out. But really--do you want them to lie to you and tell you that being overweight is healthy just b/c you look as average as everyone else? People who fall in the normal range on the BMI scale will actually appear underweight to most of us and I'm guessing that they're getting tired of being accused of being anorexic.

That said, I take these BMI calculators with a grain of salt. Some people are very muscular and muscle weighs more than fat. Some people have a very sturdy bone structure and some people have a gracile one. Then the races are built differently: if you took 3 women--me, a black lady with a sturdy bone structure, and a lady from the orient, and we all weigh the same thing, the black lady would look really good, I would be plump (as I am) and the oriental lady would be just plain fat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 08:23 PM

3,487 posts, read 6,536,585 times
BMI always pegs me as being underweight but I'm actually kind of fat. There is no way I can put on any more pounds and remain healthy, unless it is all muscle weight. My measured body fat is somewhere around 26% which is definitely NOT ideal... nor is it under fat. Best way to measure health is probably a combination of function (i.e. how you do on a treadmill), combined with your body fat measurement by using calipers on various body parts.

OP I think you can stand to lose 20 pounds to get to a more healthy weight. Based on your body frame your BMI is probably a bit exaggerated, but not enough to entirely write it off.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:10 PM

9,983 posts, read 17,897,835 times
I remember the 80's with amusement--we had a little test to see if you were overweight--could you pinch an inch? Yah, I think so, but what do I do with the rest of this blob they call my belly? Still, I think it was a more reliable test than the BMI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness