U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 08:21 AM

175 posts, read 687,756 times

Advertisements

Just curious who falls in the healthy catagory for BMI and what do you look like?

I am 5'6, here's a pic of me http://www.abernathyfarm.com/meandrickysidepass.JPG (broken link)

Guess how much I weigh...195lbs, BMI at 30.5, considers me obese Maybe my view is just skewed from seeing other people but I don't think I look obese at all. Am I in denile? I wear a size 10 or 12 depending on the manufacturer. Which sounds like a big size, even to me, but I don't think I would look healthy at 130 lbs. I think you would be able to count every bone in my body. Is that what BMI wants you to look like? For my height BMI says I should weigh somewhere between 118-148 lbs I have never weighed less than 160 and even when I weighed 160 I had a bigger pants size 12-14. What gives there?

I know I am not skinny (I have some jiggle) but I don't think I'm obese either (I have 4 abs-not a 6 pack but I'm happy)

The rule for horses (what I am familar with) is you should be able to feel their ribs if you touch it, but not be able to see any ribs. Should you see people's ribs? Does anyone have a desription like that as to what people are supposed look like to be in a good weight.

I see men who weigh around the same as me and are taller and they look bigger to me than I look. I see women who weigh less than me and look bigger. How does that happen?

I know I am top heavy, but seriously how much weight could that possibly be? I have been top heavy and basically the same size (every where) since I was 12 years old. My back doesn't hurt and my shoulders don't hurt and I can still ride horses. Am I a medical marvial or something? or do I just have the muscle and bone structure that is appropriate for my size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 08:28 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,657,913 times
BMI doesn't work for me either. I'm 5'7" and normally around 125 pounds, and it always pegs me somewhere around 19, which is high. When I had it done properly (water tank) it came out around 15.5 which is where it should be considering my bone structure, genetics, and my high level of fitness.

As far as your photo, you don't look particularly fat, but you are a big girl. And by 'big' I don't mean fat, you just look like you have a thicker bone structure than someone like me. If I'd had to guess I would have thought you weighed twenty pounds or so less than you do, because it looks like you carry it well.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:36 AM

25,219 posts, read 30,079,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmabernathy View Post
Just curious who falls in the healthy catagory for BMI and what do you look like?

I am 5'6, here's a pic of me

Guess how much I weigh...195lbs, BMI at 30.5, considers me obese Maybe my view is just skewed from seeing other people but I don't think I look obese at all. Am I in denile? I wear a size 10 or 12 depending on the manufacturer. Which sounds like a big size, even to me, but I don't think I would look healthy at 130 lbs. I think you would be able to count every bone in my body. Is that what BMI wants you to look like? For my height BMI says I should weigh somewhere between 118-148 lbs I have never weighed less than 160 and even when I weighed 160 I had a bigger pants size 12-14. What gives there?

I know I am not skinny (I have some jiggle) but I don't think I'm obese either (I have 4 abs-not a 6 pack but I'm happy)

The rule for horses (what I am familar with) is you should be able to feel their ribs if you touch it, but not be able to see any ribs. Should you see people's ribs? Does anyone have a desription like that as to what people are supposed look like to be in a good weight.

I see men who weigh around the same as me and are taller and they look bigger to me than I look. I see women who weigh less than me and look bigger. How does that happen?

I know I am top heavy, but seriously how much weight could that possibly be? I have been top heavy and basically the same size (every where) since I was 12 years old. My back doesn't hurt and my shoulders don't hurt and I can still ride horses. Am I a medical marvial or something? or do I just have the muscle and bone structure that is appropriate for my size?
BMI is a coarse estimate of "fatness" which does not take into consideration body composition. It cannot differentiate the bodybuilder from someone the same height and weight who has a larger body fat percentage. It is useful for evaluating the average, mostly sedentary individual.

That being said, you presumably are asking for an honest opinion. I do think you look a little overweight. Your prior 160 pounds might be better. And I suspect the horse would appreciate it if you lost a little bit. If you want another viewpoint, you could consider getting your body fat percentage measured. Many gyms can do it. Pants size is not a good comparison. One manufacturer's 8 is another's 10.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:48 AM

I can understand over weight, For me underweight would be 0-117, healthy 118-148, overweight 149-179, obese I is 180-215, obese 2 is 216-246 and morbidly obese is 247-up. I got up to 259 Dec 07 and have since come down to now just being just regular obese-so I got a little improvement LOL

If anyone else is stuggling I did go from being pre-diabetic (120) to blood sugar consistantly in the 70's in less than a year so every little bit really does help!

Would the body fat moniter work for me because of my breast size (DDD or 46 inchs around)?

Last edited by lmabernathy; 09-22-2010 at 08:59 AM..

Old 09-22-2010, 09:17 AM

25,219 posts, read 30,079,605 times
Quote:
I can understand over weight, For me underweight would be 0-117, healthy 118-148, overweight 149-179, obese I is 180-215, obese 2 is 216-246 and morbidly obese is 247-up. I got up to 259 Dec 07 and have since come down to now just being just regular obese-so I got a little improvement LOL

If anyone else is stuggling I did go from being pre-diabetic (120) to blood sugar consistantly in the 70's in less than a year so every little bit really does help!

Would the body fat moniter work for me because of my breast size (DDD or 46 inchs around)?
The body fat monitor measures total body fat, so it does not take distribution of fat into consideration. If you lose more weight, expect breast size to decrease some, too.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 PM

4,152 posts, read 10,043,242 times
Quote:

I think that being in the Obese I category and being pre-diabetic should really be ringing some bells for you. Staying at or rising in weight can really begin to mess your body up.
Also,
Manufacturers sizes have shifted dramatically in the past couple of decades.

Size 2 nowadays is closer to what used to be a size 6.

My point being, is that I am 5'6'' as well 36DDD and topped out at 188. I don't know where you shop but honestly a size 10 is mighty tight. I was fitting in 12-14, and even at my very highest of 188 I had to buy a dress for an event and it was a roomy size 16 because the 14 was just too tight and obscene looking (it was a sheath dress).

For your health you should keep a handle on your weight, it's the best thing you can do for yourself.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,649,228 times
Water tank is the only valid BMI. My lowest adult weight ( after puberty) was 125 and I am 5'4"; my BMI rated me overweight, but water tank dropped it by 4-5 pts. 40+ years later, the muscles under my extra weight still drop me 4-7 pts when the BMI is water. If you have muscles, your BMI is never valid by charts

Old 09-23-2010, 05:59 AM

bellalunitic I think you misunderstood me. Currently my blood sugar levels are in the 70's, so no longer prediabetic, actually getting close to having low blood sugar and thats at 195 lbs. I eat very healthy now, nothing out of a box, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, organic when I can afford it.

Speaking of dress size changes, has anyone else noticed girls are so much taller nowadays? I used to be tall when I was in highschool, but now I am average (I'm only 29). High school girls seem to be 5'8-5'10. Boys I don't see the difference in, but they might be getting taller in college. I thought it was all the steriods/growth hormones they put in meat, but the other day someone mentioned all the soy (plant estrogen) that is in everything.

Also does any one have pictures of what they look like and their BMI, that was my main question, what does a healthy BMI actually look like?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:29 AM

4,152 posts, read 10,043,242 times
Quote:
bellalunitic I think you misunderstood me. Currently my blood sugar levels are in the 70's, so no longer prediabetic, actually getting close to having low blood sugar and thats at 195 lbs. I eat very healthy now, nothing out of a box, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, organic when I can afford it.

Speaking of dress size changes, has anyone else noticed girls are so much taller nowadays? I used to be tall when I was in highschool, but now I am average (I'm only 29). High school girls seem to be 5'8-5'10. Boys I don't see the difference in, but they might be getting taller in college. I thought it was all the steriods/growth hormones they put in meat, but the other day someone mentioned all the soy (plant estrogen) that is in everything.

Also does any one have pictures of what they look like and their BMI, that was my main question, what does a healthy BMI actually look like?
Sorry. I misread about your blood sugar. Why are they getting so low then?

It is true about humans in general. My friend's shoe company now makes their sample sizes in size 7, they used to make them in size 5.

I'll get you a pic when I get to a a "healthy" BMI.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 AM

8,415 posts, read 36,086,072 times
Photographic Height/Weight Chart

^^ a collection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness