Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

NEW YORK, Sept. 23 (UPI) -- A former U.S. government official who helped get LASIK approved in the 1990s says the vision correction surgery has caused an "epidemic" of vision problems.

Morris Waxler, who worked at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration when LASIK was approved, and who is now an independent regulatory consultant, filed a citizens petition urging the FDA to stop what he describes as "the epidemic of permanent vision problems" caused by LASIK, or laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis, ABC News reported.

Former FDA official wants LASIK crackdown - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 12:47 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
I am really glad I already had mine done!

Yes, I have some halos around lights, but it is no big deal. The improvement in my distant vision is worth it.

The surgeon who did mine is very experienced. He said that people who follow their postop instructions religiously have very few complications.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:43 AM

175 posts, read 750,332 times
This was always the side effects, they didn't discover any new ones! If you went to a good surgeon this was all explained very clearly to you.

It was the best thing I have ever done! My vision was 20/500, that means what a 20/20 person could see at 500 ft away I had to be 20 feet away from to see it. I had to sleep with glasses on or I wouldn't be able to find them in the morning!

I think the companies that make glasses and contacts are going under-thats why there is all the sudden an epidemic of the same old side effects.

PS I get halos at night but it is easier to just not drive at night than it is to not be able to see all the time! Completely worth the side effects! Even made me become an organ donor, the results where just amazing it was like I had new eyes! I am now 20/20 in my left and 20/15 in my right

Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,377 times
My vision is somewhere in the neighborhood of 20/1000 (if the scale went that high), the actual scale only goes up to 20/200. I wear -8.0 and -7.5 diopter contact lenses which brings me to 20/20, and even had to have laser surgery for detached retinas in both eyes because my prescription is so high.

I've thought about getting the laser surgery done, but I'm extremely hesitant. One of the big reasons being the added difficulty of properly calculating the required strength of a man-made lens should they need to be replaced later on for cataract surgery (I have a family history of cataracts). And even though having to wear contacts is somewhat annoying... mostly for the fact that I can't see anything with them out in the 5 minutes before I go to sleep and after I wake up, the chances of going blind or having some other problem that could permanently reduce my vision are almost zero... versus the many reported issues with lasik.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:07 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,643,353 times
I work for a miitary clinic, there have been hundreds of active duty members out of our clinic alone who have had it done. They have ALL been successful and very pleased with their surgery. I read the article and sure, there ARE going to be problems; like in any surgery but I would disbelieve such a high occurance of problems arising from the surgery itself. There is also the PRK surgery (another form of corrective surgery). I'd be curious to find out how many incidents of success vs failure in those....

Old 09-29-2010, 08:14 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times
Got mine seven years ago. It's awesome and I have no regrets.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:15 AM

1,741 posts, read 4,575,770 times
I asked about it, and they told me no it would be a waste for me. I guess I am weird, but with my nearsighted vision, and the way it is correcting itself (due to age), that within a few years I would probably be back at 0 and not need corrective lenses at all. I appreciated their honesty in advising me against something and not trying to make a quick buck.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Where I worked the employer covered it on the insurance and we have had over hundred epopel have it. Not heard one compalin but mnay founnd it so much better than the problems some had with contracts.Wife and I had it 8years ago with zero problems.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:00 PM

713 posts, read 3,438,412 times

YouTube - My Lasik Eye Surgery

After watching this I will never go get laser eye surgery without being put to sleep first

Old 10-03-2010, 11:18 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
After watching this I will never go get laser eye surgery without being put to sleep first
For the PRK they do not cut a flap in your retina. I don't think anyone put patients to sleep. Surgery is too quick to make it worth it. They can give some valium to relax you before.
I was too chicken to have the Lasik so I had the PRK one eye at a time. After a week I was ready and willing to have the second eye done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness