Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

the most bizzare thing happened today.

I was just sitting here at my computer, then felt an ant bite me. I looked down and saw about 5-6 black ants. We've had an ant problem, they come in with the rain. Well, I shooed them off and sprayed just a small amount of Raid, then continued on with my work ( and yes, we have an exterminator scheduled).

In just a few minutes, both hands started swelling. the palms turned pinkish. I thought perhaps the Raid got on my hands, so, I washed them thoroughly, then applied a cortisone cream. they seemed better. But within minutes, a felt a rash spread up my arms, over my torso, and face. It can best be described as a sunburn. My scalp itched intensly and my throat felt like I had swallowed something that wouldn't go down. also, my face felt swollen, lips swollen, like you do after dental work.

Ok, I figured this is an allergic reaction that's getting pretty intense. I was by myself, so, thought call 911. But first, I remembered I had some Benedryl left over from a cold. I took two capsules, also, took some extra prednisone ( I take prednisone routinely for RA). Then I waited, in about 5 min the symptoms abated.

My dh came home for lunch, he literally saw the rash dissapate in front of his eyes. We both thought at first to go to the ER, then rationalized if its getting better, what would they do, anyways? I remember reading Benedryl is the drug of choice in ER's for allergies, anyways.

I'm fine now, except for feeling a bit dizzy, probably due to the benedryl. Such an intense reaction, to what---Raid, the ant bite? I've used Raid before, and been bitten by ants before.

First thing I did was unlock all the doors, I figured if I needed EMS would be nice if they could get in! also, carried my phone with me around the house just in case. I later read the drugs of choice in ER's for allergic reactions are exactly what I did--benedryl and prednisone, so, I saved myself a lot of time.

I just wonder what on earth I was reacting to? I'm afraid it will happen again.

Do people suddenly get allergic attacks for no real reason? Can you somehow develop an allergy out of the clear blue? Oh, also, this morning I took 2 tylenol #3, that has codeine, but I've had that many times before with no reaction.

Last edited by MaryleeII; 09-21-2010 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 06:30 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
It's my understanding that you can become allergic to anything over time (after being bitten, using products, etc.) - glad you had the good sense to take Benydryl - might want to visit an allergist though and see if you should carry an Epi-Pen.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:35 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,575,016 times
Yes, you can! Next time you see your doctor you be sure to mention this to him. As we grow and age our bodies are constantly changing so it is easy to become allergic to something today that you never were before.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It's my understanding that you can become allergic to anything over time (after being bitten, using products, etc.) - glad you had the good sense to take Benydryl - might want to visit an allergist though and see if you should carry an Epi-Pen.

I know EMS teams actually carry Benedryl and its stocked in ER's.

I looked up ant bites, I don't think that was it. I did feel an ant bite me, but no reaction at the site, no swelling, itching, etc. It started when I got the Raid and sprayed a little on the baseboards. I figured it might have been the Raid, but the reaction hit both hands, even though I only handled the can with one hand.

Really, it was frightening. I figured I didn't have time to get to an ER when my throat started swelling up. I could breathe ok, but had difficulty swallowing. Fortunately the Benedryl capsules and prednsione were quite small but felt like I was swallowing a rock. By the time dh came home I was ready to go to the ER, dressed, had list of meds (I always keep a list on hand), and, of course, the most important thing of all--my insurance card!

But, by the time he got home, the redness, swelling, etc, was on the wan. he could see it, but as we watched, it literally decreased. My arms were one big red patch, like a sunburn, to the underarms, face, chest, torso, etc.

But I didn't have other symptoms of ant bite poison, I've read they include nausea, dizziness, etc. Perhaps because I already take prednisone on a regular basis---daily dose is 15 mg, that must have been one heck of an allergic reaction to have broken through all that.

We declined the ER, simply because it was getting better, an ER visit would have cost us about $500 As I sit here now I'm feeling fine, but wonder what hit me to begin with?

An allergist is a good idea to see!

Last edited by MaryleeII; 09-21-2010 at 06:53 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Yes, you can! Next time you see your doctor you be sure to mention this to him. As we grow and age our bodies are constantly changing so it is easy to become allergic to something today that you never were before.

A friend of mine is allergic to codeine, her symptoms are exactly what I felt today, I took tylenol 3 about, mmmm..........5-10 min before the reaction began.

Now I'm scared to death to take any more, perhaps I will just give that up!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post

How flattering you assume I'm Old and gettiing older LOL arent' we all!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:52 PM

Just thought of something----the tylenol #3 was from a new bottle just picked up from a new pharmacy, I never had trouble before with that drug

Because I get the generic, they oftentimes change the brand, so, perhaps its something new in the pill itself?

I'm just scared this can happen again and be much worse the next time, I will always carry Benedryl from now on.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Whoa! Careful there mixing the meds Marylee. Real easy to take something like Tylenol 3, which will give you a definite buzz, and take too much of something else. I'm not a docor, but I have allergies and I'd never mix Tylenol 3 with 2 caps of Benadryl. Too easy to get sleepy, "forget" you've taken the Benadryl and take two more.

You have insurance? Do they have an 800 number where you can talk to a nurse? I'd call and ask what to do if you ever get those symptoms again. A throat can close up from an allergic reaction and you will not be able to get air into your lungs.

And toss the Raid. That stuff is no good for the lungs. (You could have had a reaction from inhaling it.) Windex. Windex kills ants like nobody's business.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-21-2010 at 07:02 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Whoa! Careful there mixing the meds Marylee. Real easy to take something like Tylenol 3, which will give you a definite buzz, and take too much of something else. I'm not a docor, but I have allergies and I'd never mix Tylenol 3 with 2 caps of Benadryl.

You have insurance? Do they have an 800 number where you can talk to a nurse? I'd call and ask what to do if you ever get those symptoms again. A throat can close up from an allergic reaction and you will not be able to get air into your lungs.

And toss the Raid. That stuff is no good for the lungs. (You could have had a reaction from inhaling it.) Windex. Windex kills ants like nobody's business.

I didn't take tylenol 3 for a buzz, I have RA and a spine problem, its for pain.

the "chaser" of benedryl was to halt the allergic reaction I was having.

I like the idea of calling the insurance 800 number. We're new in town and I don't yet have a family physician. that's a good starting point.

Also, thanks for the tip about Windex! Will do!

Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 PM

What scared me was my throat starting to close. Make no doubt about it, this was serious!

Actually, I could breathe and talk, but my throat hurt and found it difficult to swallow, that's when I decided to take some emergency action of my own, ie benedryl.

I remember a friend who was an EMS driver, he said they carried Benedryl for severe reactions, guess that did the trick!

Now, like I said, I need to figure out just what the heck happened!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness