U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2010, 12:45 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 16,583,019 times
Reputation: 16907

Advertisements

Unlike a friend of mine, who thought all doctors were created equal, somewhere at the right hand of God.

she felt it was impolite to "speak unless spoken to". she'd literally sit there with her mouth shut and say nothing unless asked directly. she figures they knew everything, obviously, or they would ask.

she didn't even know the names of the medications she took, the name of her condition, I'm surprised she knew her own name! She thought all that was in some centralized data bank they could just access by typing in her SSN, or some other identifer. Would it were so easy!

Bottom line is, you're a consumer, in this case, of health care. Don't take anything for granted, don't assume "they" are on top of things, don't feel any question is too small or "dumb" always realize you have a right to participate in your own care!

With the above described pelvic fracture, I fired a physical therapist who kept insisting I "quit feeling sorry for myself" and "get up and walk" I told her we're not filiming a movie, I didn't like her attitude, and she didn't have her facts straight. Oh, when she turned to page 2 of my reports, then she found I had a fractured pelvis. Sorry, get out and bring in someone who reads all the information before formulating a "plan". I also informed Ms. Wonder therapist I was paying a small fortune for this care, I have a right to judge the quality of it. She's not doing me some sort of favor (BTW, therapists, etc, get paid damned good money!)

 
Old 09-27-2010, 01:46 PM
 
4,105 posts, read 7,825,664 times
Reputation: 4809
I haven't found doctors to be very helpful.

Years ago I went to the doctor because of exhaustion and some other symptoms. I wanted to rule out thyroid problems. The doctor asked questions about family history, especially my sister's ms. She also asked the usually questions about my sex life and reproductive system. She ordered blood work and said if it didn't show anything she'd refer me to a psychologist. She did not ask anything about my eating habits, how much I was sleeping, how much I worked, if I was under stress, how much exercise I was getting, etc.

So I figured it out myself, put some limits on my work, got more sleep, ate better, dealt with my stress, and got well.
 
Old 09-27-2010, 02:40 PM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,971,679 times
Reputation: 12543
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
I gave up on doctors a long time ago. I have learned as much as I can so that I can monitor my doctor. I'm in tune with my body and pretty well know what is going on here.
I take no X-rays and no prescription drugs.
I am in tune with my body and often know what's wrong with it before the doctors do. Not to blow my own horn, but I have a near-perfect track record of self-diagnosis before being formally diagnosed by doctors. There's definitely something to be said for being in-tune.

That said, while I can totally understand your frustration with the system and confidence in your ability to understand your body, it's important to remain logical and balanced.

For example, I broke three fingers a few weeks ago, something that they wouldn't have known had they not taken an x-ray. And had I not been prescribed painkillers, my body would have been under stress from the pain level. Had I not been prescribed antibiotics, I may have gotten an infection.

Western medicine excels in emergency care. Western medicine favors extreme intervention, which is good in extreme cases. X-rays can reveal broken bones. MRI's can reveal tumors and blood clots. I agree that powerful meds and expensive tests aren't necessarily for every ache and pain, but they do have their place.
 
Old 09-27-2010, 02:47 PM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,971,679 times
Reputation: 12543
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
With the above described pelvic fracture, I fired a physical therapist who kept insisting I "quit feeling sorry for myself" and "get up and walk" I told her we're not filiming a movie, I didn't like her attitude, and she didn't have her facts straight. Oh, when she turned to page 2 of my reports, then she found I had a fractured pelvis. Sorry, get out and bring in someone who reads all the information before formulating a "plan". I also informed Ms. Wonder therapist I was paying a small fortune for this care, I have a right to judge the quality of it. She's not doing me some sort of favor (BTW, therapists, etc, get paid damned good money!)
That's so stupid. I totally agree. I stopped seeing a PT who would only work on my face even though she knew I needed PT for my pelvic area too. Don't even get me started on vision therapy. My parents had to pay out of pocket cause insurance still deems it "experimental," never mind the studies that have been done on it that prove its success. In fact a number of eye surgeries are next to useless without vision therapy follow-up.
 
Old 09-27-2010, 03:03 PM
 
10,452 posts, read 10,971,679 times
Reputation: 12543
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Try having a rare medical disorder that most doctors have never heard of. My PCP is an idiot, her entire office is full of idiots and she has been zero help at all. I've even been filing my own prescriptions and doing my own referrals for the past 2 years because she can't manage to fill out the paperwork in a remotely timely manner. I fill out the forms, I contact the insurance company on behalf of the doctor and she simply signs the forms. This is something your doctor's office is supposed to do, not the patient. It also shouldn't take 2 months to finally get the doctor to sign the paper to allow you to get a simple blood test to get your thyroid checked. Still to this day whenever I go in she asks me to explain my disorder. Seriously...I'm the only one in the county who has this, one of less than 150 in the entire state....shouldn't be too difficult to remember. Oh, and by 'she' I mean the nurse practicioner....I've never actually met my PCP.

I was shuffled around to 7 specialists before I finally found one who was willing to treat me. When I drove the 7 hours to see her, she and her nurse sat and googled my disorder and chatted about it for 30 minutes while I sat back and read a magazine.

I'm in the middle of 'interviewing' new doctors because it's getting ridiculous. I've had some WONDERFUL doctors in the past...but for the most part I've had horrible ones. Bah.
Oh man, I know what you mean. My eye history has actually made it into the books because my case is such a strange and rare one. I've had to sit there and watch eye doctors look up my condition in a medical textbook before. Always made me feel really good.
 
Old 09-27-2010, 09:16 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 16,583,019 times
Reputation: 16907
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
That's so stupid. I totally agree. I stopped seeing a PT who would only work on my face even though she knew I needed PT for my pelvic area too. Don't even get me started on vision therapy. My parents had to pay out of pocket cause insurance still deems it "experimental," never mind the studies that have been done on it that prove its success. In fact a number of eye surgeries are next to useless without vision therapy follow-up.

so, do you think the eye therapy actually did you any good? We spent thousands out of pocket for eye therapy for my son, because "they" diagnosed him with eye teaming problems. Finally we had to stop due to insurance issues, etc.

But, my ds was about 5-8 at the time, and a master at playing people (he still is). Much of eye therapy is subjective. he was quite good at telling you what you wanted to hear. I still to this day don't know if the eye therapy actually helped, or it was just a hoax that he played into. would like to hear your perspective!
 
Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 16,583,019 times
Reputation: 16907
I've sometimes found I can diagnosis and treat myself better than some medical professionals.

Unfortunately, we can't treat ourselves, so, its a political thing, convincing them what's wrong and what to do about it. Many just do checklist medicine, if you don't fit the checklist, they force you into slot a or b, can't figure out what to do if you're ab

I'm getting so frustrated with this muscle imbalance/coordination problem, and its further complicated by the fact that we were in the process of moving when it happened. Try switching horses in the middle of the stream. I can't even get an appt here, they keep getting confused---if you had symptoms happen in A, why are you seeking treatment in B? Because we've since moved, why is that so hard to figure out?

Ok, I decided to just re-write the story. here I live, I've always lived here, and I developed symptoms while living here. So, now, they don't get so confused. At least now I have an appt, after spending half the day on the phone trying to outwit the dimwits (which is logistically impossible, they start with the highground!)
 
Old 09-28-2010, 09:00 AM
 
2,086 posts, read 2,227,171 times
Reputation: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Has anyone else given up on chasing the medical profession?

No, I haven't completely given up, we still see doctors on a regular basis when indicated. But I am discouraged by chasing doctors for every little thing, then getting the run around. all they do is bounce you ffrom one doctor to another, with no real diagnosis or help.

Usually, it goes something like this----you experience something that causes you concern. You make an appt. Takes 1-2 days just to set an appt, by the time you track down someone on your plan who lives within a reasonable distance and has an opening in this century. You spend half the day on the phone trying to explain to the little gal who answers why you want to come in. Be careful what you say, don't say too much or you will confuse them. Just use words of one syllable and speak very slowly, and don't give more than one symptom or you will have them so confused you will never get anywhere.

So, after 1-2 days just to set up an appt, then, usually at least 1-2 weeks wait, oftentimes 4-6 weeks. Then the magic day arrives and you see the great doctor. By then your symptoms have usually abated and you really don't even need the visit, but you go, anyways.

Seems they don't understand WTH an appt is. Its a mutually agreed upon time that both can meet. You're asked to be there 30 min ahead of time to fill out paper work, etc., then left sitting in the waiting room at least one hour minimum, usually 2-3 hours. Then finally you're escorted into the inner scantum, asked to undress, wear paper, then some little gal comes in and asks your symptoms, but can't understand a word you say. Everything you tell her you just get a bewildered look, she scribbles something down and leaves you there, wearing paper, for at least 30 60 min.

Then, in walks the great doctor, who seems fascinated by your chart, keeps reading what the bewildered little gal wrote, doesn't even look at you, call you by name, usually acts annoyed your'e there, even though you're the one who's been waiting on him for pushing 4 hours now.

Old grumpy then does a cursory exam, then says something to the effect of , well, if the symptoms continue, schedule another appt, then walks off. A whole day blown for nothing.

So, symptoms continue, you schedule another appt, same old routine, finally, get in to see great doctor, who's now thoroughly annoyed you're taking up his time (even though you pay before going in and your insurance is filed as you're walking out the door). Ok, then, Dr. Grumpy mumbles something about some tests, then walks off.

Then, you run all over town for various tests, each one taking at least half a day. By this point, you've probably spent $1000+ on copays, etc. Then, go back to Dr. Grumpy. By this point, its been at least 3 months since onset of initial symptoms. Ok, same old stuff, wait, wait, wait, wear paper, bewildered office gal, doc acting like you're some sort of nuisance, after all, isn't this the 3rd time you've been here? he barely glances at the tests, mumbles something to the effect all tests are "within normal limits" (translation, he hasn't bothered to look at them), come back if symptoms continue.

That's been my experience trying to track down mysterious symptoms I've had of muscle weakness and balance and coordination issues, first started in June.

I'm so fed up with the runaround. But, my insurance is maxed out, now pays 100% until the end of the year. I'm seeing a different neurologist next week and will demand they do anything and everything test-wise before the end of the year, and, I want the results. I will say something to the effect that I want a copy of the results for my primary care physicians, and also for my own records. They aren't that hard to read, at least I will know someone is reading them! Usually, by then, they want to repeat the tests because they are "stale" or "inconclusive" anyways.

The whole business makes you just want to give up, all you wind up with is one big, fat bill for nothing! Well, all I can do is keep on trying, but seriously, has anyone else just given up on chasing doctors?
What really makes them uneasy, if you use medical terms. Then they feel like you might know what you are talking about and now they feel like you are not some pesky idiot, so they have to take you seriously. I love to watch them sweat!
 
Old 09-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Status: "County of Surreal" (set 1 day ago)
 
9,536 posts, read 11,488,955 times
Reputation: 13932
You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince.
 
Old 09-28-2010, 01:32 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 16,583,019 times
Reputation: 16907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince.

There's the thought of the Day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:16 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top