U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:39 PM

25,136 posts, read 30,034,331 times

Advertisements

The trick to beating the nausea is to be proactive --- and premedication for nausea may not always be included in the preop "cocktail." It's best to ask if it will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 PM

9,710 posts, read 18,070,906 times
I had an interesting reaction to anesthesia several years ago when I had brain surgery. I didn't realize it for nearly a week, but I permanently lost my sense of smell. (One olfactory nerve was cut on purpose; the other one had apparently been damaged by a large tumor.)

For more than a year following the surgery I "smelled" a petroleum, metal odor. I finally realized it was the anesthesia administered to me during the surgical procedure. That lingering odor got awfully old after awhile. I assume it was the last thing I smelled before the nerve was cut, and it was more or less imprinted in my memory. My surgeon had never heard of similar experiences, but (since I'd complained about the smell) he agreed that was probably the cause of it.

It was several years before the smell completely left me -- maybe 10. It's been 21 years since the surgery.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:44 AM

3,627 posts, read 13,136,030 times
Having been through 2 c sections, 1 hysterectomy, 1 benign tumor removal, and 1 ankle plate as well as several colonoscopies........I really have never had any issues with any anesthesia.

The c-sections were with a spinal and an epidural, the surgeries with general, and the colonoscopies with valium and versed.

The coldness can be fixed due to the issue with the temp in the operating rooms and you can request heated blankets to preserve core temp. It really helps. Nausea with spinal or epidural is due to sudden drop in BP and can be resolved with oxygen right after administration.

I did get nauseated after they used ether when I was a kid for a dental procedure (not laughing gas it was ether for oral surgery) and I have no memory of my tonsillectomy other than the sore throat afterwards. Oh the ETHER made me sick as a dog but they have not used that for years.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:02 AM

889 posts, read 2,425,956 times
I asked the question while thinking of my 75 year old FIL, who may have to have a hip replacement. Also, I have hated being "put under." I feel like all the meds wreak havoc on our systems. I experienced vomiting, too. The worst part for me, though was the amnesia. It actually made me depressed for awhile to not be able to remember things.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:09 AM

25,136 posts, read 30,034,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
I asked the question while thinking of my 75 year old FIL, who may have to have a hip replacement. Also, I have hated being "put under." I feel like all the meds wreak havoc on our systems. I experienced vomiting, too. The worst part for me, though was the amnesia. It actually made me depressed for awhile to not be able to remember things.
For most people, the amnesia is desirable! I think the key is realizing that it is a predictable effect of medication, it is limited to the time around the procedure, and it does not mean you are developing Alzheimer's disease.

Old 10-01-2010, 11:59 AM

889 posts, read 2,425,956 times
Had I known that going in, it wouldn't have been as disturbing! :-)

Old 10-01-2010, 02:02 PM

2,222 posts, read 9,718,732 times
It took 3 months or so for my MIL to fully recover from knee replacement surgery due to the anesthesia. She had some confusion, unable to balance her check book, locate items, depression, lots of senior moments that were not the norm for her. We were beginning to think she had a mild stroke.

But after 3 months she was back to her normal self. Happily!

Old 10-01-2010, 03:22 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,967,141 times
I had an ENT recently confirm for me that teen and tween girls make the worst surgical candidates and that redheads also can experience different challenges. Surgery on ears can lengthen the recovery time and cause nausea. As a redheaded 12 year old getting eardrum reconstruction, I was in for a trip to H*LL. I vomited for 14 days after and couldn't get the gas taste and smell out of my mouth/nose. That was the worst surgery I've ever been through.

In 08, I had brain surgery with propofol and warned them of my tendency for nausea (since the only other surgical experience I remembered was from when I was 12). I woke up from that 5 hours surgery feeling great, but had to be pretty much restrained for 24 hours which was probably the hardest 24 hours of my life. This year I had a D&C with propofol and pepcid for nausea. I was under less than 30 minutes and in recovery an hour before being discharged at which point I made my hubby drive me to Carl's Jr. for a hamburger, fries, and Dr. Pepper (2 p.m. surgery pushed back to 3 p.m. with no food from the night before - I was ravenous).

I don't know much about cocktails except that I so appreciate how far anesthestics have come in the past 20 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness