Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many of you like needles or shots?
Needles or shots don't bother me. 27 57.45%
I hate needle or shots. 20 42.55%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:46 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times

Advertisements

Oh, I have to get mine done once every three months or more often if something shows up high or low....since I was eleven... I am fine w it... getting it drawn today as a matter of fact....

I request the butterfly though... heehee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 05:03 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I am an EMT-I, so I am trained to draw blood and start IV's. I had a lot of people practice on me in class - it just doesn't phase me! I have to admit though, I don't like sticking people!
As an EMT, you'll get a kick out of this. First off, needles do not bother me. But I'm what they call, "A hard stick". Recently I was admitted to the hospital. I had 14 holes before they got an IV started. Poor nurse was in tears thinking how painful it must be. I had to keep talking to her and explaining, it's ok, I'm used to it. But it does. I felt so sorry for her.

But I've always been that way. You can not see any veins on my arms. I'm not over weight or anything, just don't show any veins. Everything has to be done by feel and then the veins roll making it worse.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:34 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,847 times
I have hated needles my whole life! I was so scared of shots that I would literally pass out! lol! A few years ago I started having problems with one of my kidneys.. no one could figure out what was wrong! It took around 6 months of tests (tests require needles) to figure out what was going on! Once they found out what was wrong I had to have surgery and then about 2 months later I had a 2nd surgery! Needless to say, after all of that I kind of just got over my needle phobia! I still hate needles and shots, but I am just kind of use to them now. I don't pass out when I get a shot anymore! I guess that's a good thing! lol!

Old 07-08-2007, 07:33 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
As an EMT, you'll get a kick out of this. First off, needles do not bother me. But I'm what they call, "A hard stick". Recently I was admitted to the hospital. I had 14 holes before they got an IV started. Poor nurse was in tears thinking how painful it must be. I had to keep talking to her and explaining, it's ok, I'm used to it. But it does. I felt so sorry for her.

But I've always been that way. You can not see any veins on my arms. I'm not over weight or anything, just don't show any veins. Everything has to be done by feel and then the veins roll making it worse.
Oh man, you poor thing! I had one like you in class. I could see a faint line of green (almost like a figment of my imagination) so I stuck it. She was so amazed I got it in the first try! The only time I have been a hard stick was when I had almost bled to death internally and was also dehydrated. I did NOT apprechiate the multiple sticks at all! I don't know how you can stand it!

Old 07-08-2007, 01:03 PM

73 posts, read 346,718 times
I don't mind sticking other people but I can't stand to be stuck myself. Because of my fear of needles I'm able to be understanding & gentle with the people I have to stick.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:14 PM

255 posts, read 821,362 times
Thumbs down Tell me you've done this before...

I don't mind the needles themselves -- it's the skill level of the person administering the shot that concerns me. I used to have no problem with it until I had a routine blood draw and the nurse couldn't seem to get the needle into the vein...and simply "dug around" in my arm until she found one that cooperated. I was about ready to tell her to hand the needle over to me and I'd find the vein myself! I ended up with a huge bruise in the crook of my arm and (obviously) some residual psychological trauma.

I have never had any trouble prior to this with blood draws and have good veins, but this experience was a doozy.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:33 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
I hate needles and shots! Especially those IV's that go in your veins on the top part of your hand. I can't even look at those. I don't faint or anything but I just can't look at it.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:29 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times
I have no fear of needles anymore. Take three needles a day for diabetes.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Don't bother me. I don't love getting stuck, but I don't dread it or worry about it. I never have. A stick only takes a second. A shot is the same. Its done and its over.

Old 06-25-2015, 05:57 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,275,259 times
I have an acute case of "needle-itis." I don't faint but I do cry. One time I TRIED to give blood but I started to hyperventilate, started bawling my eyes out. They couldn't get the needle in me because my heart was pounding too hard.

Over the years, I have fought back the tears. Now that I am a "certain age" I give myself the permission to cry-and NOT FEEL ASHAMED for doing so.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness