U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-02-2010, 06:18 AM
 
5,314 posts, read 11,492,745 times
Reputation: 13059

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
My 83 year old aunt is in a nursing home and she broke her hip today
She has to get operated on next week. Why does all my family think she is not going to make it. Everyone keeps saying that a broken hip is basically a death sentence in an elderly person. Thoughts?
The surgeries available for hip fractures are very good and folks typically do OK during and immediately after.

If you look at the available data though the prognosis after hip fracture is pretty grim.

Extremely high mortality rate in the year following a hip fracture.

Meta-analysis: Excess Mortality After Hip Fracture Among Older Women and Men — Ann Intern Med
There are 2 schools of thought on this

In one, there is the thought that the deconditioning and disability from the fracture, surgery and rehab leads to a shortened life span.

The more commonly cited theory is that a hip fracture is a signal event. The osteoporosis and balance issues that typically predispose the elderly to hip fractures are the tip of the iceberg. Patients who suffer a hip fracture have already begun the downward spiral which accelerates after the injury.

These studies are an aggregate of data...

Every individual is different and many, many patients do fine after surgery and live for years after with minimal disability.

I would also ignore ignorant comments about nursing homes from people who don't know any better.

To make comments about a family's decision to place a loved one in a nursing home....which is many times the absolute BEST decision for all involved....without knowing any of the facts involved....is the height of arrogance and ignorance....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2010, 07:24 AM
 
Location: NJ
12,581 posts, read 22,536,604 times
Reputation: 11496
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
My 83 year old aunt is in a nursing home and she broke her hip today
She has to get operated on next week. Why does all my family think she is not going to make it. Everyone keeps saying that a broken hip is basically a death sentence in an elderly person. Thoughts?
I don't think it's the broken hip that makes people go downhill, but surgery in general.

I just had our 87 year old neighbor for 3 weeks, he fell & broke his ribs, punctured his lung. A few years ago he had another fall; he's gone down hill since then. He now wants to get his knee done; people are advising him not to.

His lady friend passed 3 weeks before he fell; she had her hip operated on last August & has gone downhill ever since. She ended up having a part of her pacemaker done in March; then she passed in June. She was early 80's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2010, 12:31 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,849 posts, read 31,184,963 times
Reputation: 22436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I don't think it's the broken hip that makes people go downhill, but surgery in general.

I just had our 87 year old neighbor for 3 weeks, he fell & broke his ribs, punctured his lung. A few years ago he had another fall; he's gone down hill since then. He now wants to get his knee done; people are advising him not to.

His lady friend passed 3 weeks before he fell; she had her hip operated on last August & has gone downhill ever since. She ended up having a part of her pacemaker done in March; then she passed in June. She was early 80's
I agree with you that having a surgical procedure is very, very stressing to the body in general. My dh's uncle had a valve in his heart replaced and less than 6 months later he was diagnosed with colon cancer. I suggest that if she is going to undergo surgery you find someone who can advocate for her there and try to get as much nutrition into her in the form of whole foods and supplements as possible before the surgery. As a rule, most of the food that is served in institutional environments are woefully low in nutrition which is so important for the healing process.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2010, 02:57 PM
 
Location: NJ
12,581 posts, read 22,536,604 times
Reputation: 11496
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I agree with you that having a surgical procedure is very, very stressing to the body in general. My dh's uncle had a valve in his heart replaced and less than 6 months later he was diagnosed with colon cancer. I suggest that if she is going to undergo surgery you find someone who can advocate for her there and try to get as much nutrition into her in the form of whole foods and supplements as possible before the surgery. As a rule, most of the food that is served in institutional environments are woefully low in nutrition which is so important for the healing process.

20yrsinBranson
I agree - as you see with my 2 examples - breaking something will affect a person - but for some reason going under anesthesia does a person in. I can't believe how fast his lady friend declined after she had her hip replaced. They also did something to her pacemaker 6 months after the hip; then she was gone a few months after that.

My 87 year old neighbor wants his knee done - his physical therapist told him not to. The PT's dad had a knee done at almost the same age & was dead within a year. The knee does not give him "pain" it goes out on him. Too risky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2010, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 18,347,742 times
Reputation: 32398
I would like to zoom out (and away from the particulars of the OP's aunt) to look at a broader picture. Many hip fractures and many falls in the elderly could be prevented if people would do weight bearing exercise, for example with small hand-held weights, and balance exercises . Pilates and yoga are wonderful in this regard. And I am talking about older people - 70's and 80's. So-called "normal" aging is frequently anything but normal; rather, it is the result of inactivity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2010, 04:54 PM
 
293 posts, read 912,425 times
Reputation: 162
Back to the poster.. I really do hope everything goes great. Let us know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 08:20 AM
 
Location: Canada
3,432 posts, read 3,613,109 times
Reputation: 2186
I'll keep you updated. Thanks to everyone for the well wishes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Canada
3,432 posts, read 3,613,109 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
I would like to zoom out (and away from the particulars of the OP's aunt) to look at a broader picture. Many hip fractures and many falls in the elderly could be prevented if people would do weight bearing exercise, for example with small hand-held weights, and balance exercises . Pilates and yoga are wonderful in this regard. And I am talking about older people - 70's and 80's. So-called "normal" aging is frequently anything but normal; rather, it is the result of inactivity.

Perhaps you should open a new thread about this then since it really is off topic. This advice is not going to help my aunt. She already broker her hip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2010, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,017 posts, read 18,347,742 times
Reputation: 32398
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Perhaps you should open a new thread about this then since it really is off topic. This advice is not going to help my aunt. She already broker her hip.
Well, you could use the report feature and report my post to the moderator for being off-topic; perhaps the moderator will delete it and then you would feel so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Canada
3,432 posts, read 3,613,109 times
Reputation: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Well, you could use the report feature and report my post to the moderator for being off-topic; perhaps the moderator will delete it and then you would feel so good.
Give me a break. Thanks so much for the compassion LOL

Last edited by KylieEve; 10-04-2010 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top